Jumia is the leading pan-Africa e-commerce platform. Founded in 2012, Jumia’s mission is to improve the quality of everyday life in Africa by leveraging technology to deliver innovative, convenient and affordable online services to consumers, while helping businesses grow as they use our platform to reach and serve consumers.
Our platforms consist of our marketplace, which connects sellers with consumers, our logistics service, which enables the shipment and delivery of packages from sellers to consumers, and our payment service, which facilitates transactions among participants active on our platform in selected markets. Through our online platforms, consumers can access a wide range of physical and digital goods and services, fashion, electronics, beauty products and also hotel and flight bookings or restaurant delivery.
With over 3,000 employees in 14 countries spanning across 6 African regions, Jumia is led by top talented leaders offering a great mix of local and international talents and is backed by very high-profile shareholders. Jumia is committed to creating sustainable impact for Africa. Jumia offers unique opportunities in a vibrant and booming environment, creating new jobs, new skills, and empowering a new generation. We are looking for talented people with a passion for Africa to join our team and embark on our exciting journey!
The Role In Brief
- The Internal Controller, is responsible to ensure that operational activities and financial reporting activities are effectively managed by a system of internal controls that ensure the integrity of financial information and efficiency in the operations.
- He/She should build frameworks that help identify and manage the company’s risks, protect the investments made by shareholders and safeguard the company’s assets.
- Overall, the Internal Controller shall plan and execute risk assessments to evaluate the maturity of the existing controls, detect and assess the material risks to which a company is exposed, covering people, processes, tools and applicable laws and regulations and enable the management of these exposures in the most appropriate way while designing and implementing formal policies and procedures.
The main challenges are described as below:
- Develop a thorough understanding of the business, risks and processes across entities.
- Lead the development and implementation of policies and procedures relating to internal controls over financial reporting.
- Conduct and document financial/accounting/operational process flows, with a focus on internal controls and legal & regulatory compliance.
- Execute risk assessment and compliance activities to ensure proper alignment of the Kenyan entities with the group frameworks.
- Be a key influencer of operational efficiency and well controlled change management across Jumia Kenya.
- Present risk findings to management and provide practical recommendations for improvement and actively monitor related remediation and management action plans.
- Collaborate with the first line of assurance (management team) in assessing the adequacy of actions taken by management to correct reported control deficiencies, and continuously review controls considered inadequate until satisfactory resolution.
- Collaborate with the third line of assurance (internal & external audit) in the development and implementation of a system to capture and track control deficiencies, as well as internal and external audit findings to resolution.
- Participate in preparing relevant material to be reviewed by the central Internal Audit and group CFO.
- Bachelor/ Master in accounting, finance, administration or business;
- 7-8 years of internal/external audit experience preferably with big 4 practice firm or relevant Internal Controls experience;
- Professional qualifications will be a plus (CPA, ACCA, CIA, etc.);
- Strong background and experience with internal control methodologies and techniques;
- In-depth knowledge of internal control frameworks;
- Practical and creative in suggesting recommendations for improvements to internal control processes, policies and procedures;
- Excellent analytical skills for identifying control issues;
- Excellent speaking and writing skills in English;
- Advanced skills in Microsoft office, with emphasis on Excel and PowerPoint.
- A unique experience in an entrepreneurial, yet structured environment
- A unique opportunity to help build & shape a growing African ecommerce giant.
- The opportunity to become part of a highly professional and dynamic team.
- Unparalleled personal and professional growth (our longer-term objective is to train the next generation of leaders for our future internet ventures).