- Company: American International Group, Inc. (AIG)
- Location: Kenya
- State: Nairobi
- Job type: Full-Time
- Job category: Insurance Jobs in Kenya
American International Group, Inc., also known as AIG, is an American multinational finance and insurance corporation with operations in more than 80 countries and jurisdictions. AIG, is an American multinational insurance corporation with more than 88 million customers in 130 countries.
Main duties and responsibilities:
Identify and underwrite profitable accounts under direction and guidance from the Chief Underwriting Officer in accordance with AIG’s standards, policies and procedures. Support the SME department by acquiring and retaining profitable business as well as correcting unprofitable policies, within underwriting authority. Manage portfolio of assigned accounts, ensuring efficient document workflow in line with operational procedures
Maintain and grow relationships with brokers in cooperation with Branch Management and the Business Development Manager.
Ensure superior service at all times and adherence to underwriting authority and AIG processes.
Core duties :
- Underwrite business within underwriting authority through risk assessment process which includes consideration of loss control, claims history and all other appropriate risk management factors.
- Play an active role in the development and negotiation and sign off of large programs by motivating limits and policy structures where referral is required.
- Prove technical underwriting guidance to junior underwriters as directed by Chief Underwriting Officer.
- Ensure adherence with all underwriting guidelines, referrals and SME processes.
- Manage allocated portfolio accounts in profitable and sustainable growth, constantly assessing overall performance of the portfolio and make recommendations for adjustments to the Chief Underwriting Officer as needed.
- Provide accurate estimates and reports as required
Business Development and Retention
- Keep abreast of market changes and trends
- Proactively engage with BDM’s and branch managers to provide technical support for branch business development initiatives
- Seek opportunities to improve synergies and participate in cross-sell initiatives with other profit Centres
- Develop and maintain strong personal and professional relationships with clients and brokers
- Represent AIG on industry bodies and professional associations and organizations
- Adhere to internal SLA’s to ensure operational efficiency and achievement of agreed customer service standards
- Manage all expenses within budget. Continuously work to reduce the expense ratio through constant attention to efficiencies and opportunities to maximize productivity through streamlining of processes
- Audit and Compliance
- Ensure adherence to audit requirements
- Ensure adherence to underwriting authority
- Ensure adherence to regulatory and compliance requirements
- Ensure that requests follow standard processes and that processing is in line with all with product and business rules as per standard operating procedures as well as adhere to all company policies and procedures at all times
- Liaise with clients, brokers and other business partners professionally and proactively with a passion for service and aiming at all times to improving customer satisfaction and loyalty to the AIG brand
- Receive, acknowledge, coordinate and track requests from clients, brokers and other business partners owning the end to end customer process
- Ensure all requests are processed within if not ahead of agreed service levels escalating as required to ensure service and quality levels are maintained at all times.
- Work in partnership with internal business units to ensure all requests are processed efficiently and accuracy within agreed service levels with minimum or no rework.
- Have a complete understanding of all AIG products to answer queries relating to products and services but never offering advice.
- Ensure errors, issues and other service failures are escalated promptly so resolved quickly and requests and processed within agreed service level.
- Keep clients, brokers and other business partners appropriately and updated managing their expectations at all times
- Manage client, broker and other business partner complaints resolving complaints if not immediately within 24 hours
- Understands policy administration procedures to accurately process broker submission requests
- Work as part of a team ensuring that service levels are maintained across the unit and no backlogs develop
- Work as part of the SME team constantly providing feedback and striving for more innovative efficient ways of working and improving the customer experience on an ongoing basis by listening to and understanding customers needs
- FAIS compliant
- RE 5 Certification (or in process of acquiring)
- Additional Insurance Qualification (preferred)
- Significant Underwriting experience in commercial underwriting
- Basic computer knowledge/technological skills- the person should be adept in using search tools, browsers and also email features; attaching files to correspondence, utilizing tracking and management features
- Excellent knowledge on Microsoft Office (Excel, Word, PowerPoint, Access)
- Short Term Insurance knowledge
- Advance Knowledge of underwriting concepts, practices and procedures for commercial lines business
- Strong working knowledge of tracking methodologies and systems
- Proficient knowledge of how to apply / operate insurance systems
- Strong working knowledge of operational processes and procedures
- Working knowledge of key process indicators that effect business results
Relevant experience as a commercial underwriter and working in a similar position in a service orientated environment
Skills and Competencies :
- Optimising Work Processes
- Is committed to working efficiently and continuous enhancement of work processes
- Customer Focus
- Is dedicated to meeting the expectations and requirements of the AIG customer
- Peer Relationships
- Can solve problems with peers with a minimum of noise and seen as a team player that is cooperative
- Drives for Results
- Can be counted on to exceed goals successfully
- Workload Management
- Follows processes and workflows for standard service requests
- Business and Product Knowledge
- Understands product features and how they impact service response and transactions
- Able to adhere to applicable service procedures and guidelines as determined by business
- Understands and complies with relevant insurance laws and regulations that impact customer policies and service requests
- Customer Responsiveness:
- Understands how to review, analyse and respond to individual requests or “cases” as they are received
- Able to respond in a professional manner to enquiries, focusing on root causes and / or the big picture for the individual request
We are an Equal Opportunity Employer
American International Group, Inc., its subsidiaries and affiliates are committed to be an Equal Opportunity Employer and its’ policies and procedures reflect this commitment. We provide equal opportunity to all qualified individuals regardless of race, color, religion, age, gender, gender expression, national origin, veteran status, disability or any other legally protected categories such as sexual orientation. At AIG, we believe that diversity and inclusion are critical to our future and our mission – creating a foundation for a creative workplace that leads to innovation, growth, and profitability. Through a wide variety of programs and initiatives, we invest in each employee, seeking to ensure that our people are not only respected as individuals, but also truly valued for their unique perspectives.