The Regional Centre for Mapping of Resources for Development (RCMRD) is an Intergovernmental organization which provides services in surveying, mapping, remote sensing, GIS and ICT to its member States, partners and clients. It currently has twenty member States in the Eastern and Southern Africa Region.
Our Mission is to Strengthen Member States and our stakeholder’s capacity through Generation, Application and Dissemination of Geo-information and Allied Technologies for sustainable development.
The Capacity Development Lead will primarily be responsible for hub activities that develop and increase the capabilities of government institutions and other stakeholders.
- Building and institutionalizing the technical capacity of decision-makers in the geo-information related fields.
- Design and implementation of comprehensive capacity building programs in application of earth observation/remote sensing, GIS, and geo-information related fields in environmental disciplines.
- Coordination of training programs targeted at decision makers, policy makers, professionals and graduate level students in environmental sciences, water and water related disasters, climate change, land use management, ecosystem management, wildlife ecology and management etc.
- Engagement and collaboration with national and international institutions in the field of training and capacity development in earth observation, applied remote sensing and GIS, with a view to developing collaborations that foster strong content development.
- Promotion of the different modules of the capacity building program in the Eastern & Southern Africa region, with a view to encouraging the application of different tools, data and products developed by RCMRD.
- Coordination of capacity building needs assessments and market studies
- Maintenance of all capacity development related inventories.
- Work with the Training Section at RCMRD to assist in the development of training programs.
- At least a masters’ degree in remote sensing, earth observation, GIS, geo-spatial information with a strong bias to applications in environmental sciences, water resources, food security, disaster management and/or natural resources management, with at least 7 years’ experience in training and capacity building initiatives in such fields.
- Knowledge in earth observation/remote sensing and GIS applications, with demonstrated experience in training using such tools in environment, climate, weather, water resources, hydrology, ecosystems, forest resources and/or species distribution modelling disciplines etc.
- Demonstrated experience in development of a comprehensive capacity building program in remote sensing and GIS applications – both basic theory and practice. Demonstrated capacity to develop training materials and provide editorial oversight over such materials is an added advantage.
- Ability to coordinate multi-disciplinary training programs that apply geo information technologies and related fields in environment, climate, weather, water resources, hydrology, ecosystems, forest resources and/or species distribution modelling disciplines.
- Experience in organizing and coordinating training workshops would be an added advantage.
- Ability to work with different technical sections to develop content appropriate for feeding into a capacity development program.
- Project management experience, including a proven record of productive engagement with government institutions, NGOs and scientists would be an added advantage.
- Ability to coordinate capacity building needs assessments and market studies.
- Strong written and verbal communication skills in English, demonstrable by published work in reputable media (peer reviewed journals, published reports etc) in the respective field of specialization.
How to Apply
Qualified and interested candidates should submit their applications, along with a detailed Curriculum Vitae as well as copies of relevant certificates and testimonials to:
Regional Centre for Mapping of Resources for Development,
P.O Box 632, 00618, Roysambu, Kasarani,
Nairobi – Kenya.
Via email to firstname.lastname@example.org so as to be received not later than 12th May, 2019.
RCMRD is an equal opportunity employer. Applications from suitably qualified female candidates and persons with disabilities are particularly encouraged.
Please note that the Centre DOES NOT charge any fees during the recruitment process.