Ipsos is a leading provider of Research for Development across Africa, with fully staffed and permanent research offices in 11 countries.
In SSA we provide evidence-based recommendations on program design and implementation at both a strategic and tactical level to a wide range of multi-lateral and bilateral donors, foundations, international and local NGOs.
Ipsos leads the way in application of new methods of information collection and analysis, and on the delivery of high quality data sets and analytical reports, alongside the ability to create impact through integrating recommendations into program design and improvement.
We work across sectors, but particularly focus on MNCH, SRH, trade and markets-systems development (particularly in agriculture and financial access).
SURVEY METHODOLOGIST – CENTER FOR SUSTAINABLE DEVELOPMENT RESEARCH & EVALUATION, IPSOS SUB-SAHARAN AFRICA
We are seeking a Survey Methodologist to join our center for sustainable development research and evaluation team in sub-Saharan Africa.
Central to the success of the team is its ability to implement high quality surveys and other study methodologies across the region, and to innovate around and apply the latest methodological and statistical survey practices.
We are looking for someone who has the intellectual curiosity to seek out new knowledge in this area and with a passion for passing things on to others with the goal of improving the impact of research on positive development outcomes in the pursuit of the sustainable development goals. This role serves our SSA region and we are flexible on the location within the region.
- Lead the methodology practice across sub-Saharan Africa.
- Ensure every research study and proposal benefits from high quality methodological input to ensure and maximize effectiveness.
- Write survey including impact assessment design documents, present and discuss with partners, including those at senior academic levels.
- Analyse survey data, including impact assessment surveys, lead and instruct the Ipsos analysis team in the analysis of these surveys.
- Build the capacity of a network of Methodology Champions in each Ipsos country in sub-Saharan Africa.
- Advocate for, identify and design Ipsos and partner co-funded methods studies.
- Design and justify sampling strategies.
KNOWLEDGE & SKILLS
Strong technical skills and passion for methodologies
- Statistics for sampling – able to provide statistical advice and written justification for sample design, statistical power analysis to determine sample sizes; familiarity with commonly referenced data and sampling sources in Africa.
- Survey methods – able to provide robust justification for a range of methods, longitudinal, cross-sectional surveys, questionnaire design, mode, interview and other effects and biases, remote mobile survey methods including SMS, IVR, online, and use of secondary data sources such as anonymized mobile data, GIS data, sample designs and methods.
- In-depth knowledge of and background in writing technical evaluation design documents, challenges in different applications in Africa, results analysis, writing threats to validity of attribution, use of model-based estimates to support causal inference; matching techniques; marginal stratification; estimation of spillover effects and so on.
- Analysis of experimental and quasi-experimental based surveys, use of regression discontinuity design, difference-in-difference, propensity score matching, panel data designs and estimators in impact assessment, and instrumental variables and similar methods.
- Ability to tackle other complex design and analytical challenges as they arise (for example, projecting labour and other market forcasting projections, econometrics, economic impact assessments, integrations of data from secondary sources, data matching, modelling of missing respondents, modelling and so on.).
- A confident and mature personality; able to interact with senior level clients inside and outside Africa that have reached high levels in academy.
- Able to work with and train teams across Africa.
- Strong ability to communicate in English language both verbally and written. High level of English grammatical report writing expertise.
- Familiarity with the development sector.
- Experience collaborating with statistics houses in African countries.
In addition to working on projects, we are looking for someone who has the intellectual curiosity to seek out new knowledge in this area and with a passion for capacity building of others with the goal of improving the impact of research on positive development outcomes in the pursuit of the sustainable development goals in sub-Saharan Africa.
- The SM should have a good first degree that contained either a quantitative research component or included a statistics module plus a relevant postgraduate qualification, ideally a PhD, in Survey Methodology.
- Proven track record in survey methodology research, as demonstrated by presentations at professional conferences or publications in peer-reviewed journals, preferred. Must have hands on experience in design and analysis of studies for 7 years or more.
- Experience working in a contract research or consulting environment preferred.
- Must have experience of designing studies and conducting analysis of experimental and quasi-experimental based surveys, use of regression discontinuity design, difference-in-difference, propensity score matching, panel date designs and estimators in impact assessment, and instrumental variables and similar methods
- Worked in development sector (consulting organization working for a funding organization or an implementing partner)
- Ideally based anywhere in sub-Saharan Africa, preferably in Kenya, Uganda, Tanzania, Zambia, Mozambique, Nigeria or South Africa.
If you believe you are the candidate we are looking for, please submit your application and CV detailing your experience for the post and include daytime telephone contacts to;
Application will not be considered if a covering letter is not attached.
Include “Survey Methodologist, CSDR&E – Ipsos SSA” in the cover letter and email subject header.
Only Shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
Deadline for applications: Sunday, 18th July 2021