Value Chain Specialist Job, Latest Supply Chain Vacancies In Kenya,
About The Role
The Value Chains Specialist supports the implementation of One Acre Fund’s technical services agreement with Kenya’s Ministry of Agriculture’s National Value Chain Support Programme (NVSP). As the Technical Support Agency (TSA), One Acre Fund will help NVSP to:
- Improve agricultural production and marketing through input-subsidized agriculture (fertilizer, lime, certified seed) using the e-voucher input management system, market linkages and crop insurance).
- Build capacity of relevant staff, farmers, agro-dealers and institutions both at at the county and national levels.
- Strengthen linkages between the National Government, County governments and beneficiary farmers.
The Value Chains Specialist will oversee several important project deliverables within this program such as: providing recommendations on optimized appropriate farm input packages for selected value chains within the 12 counties; give technical advice for on-farm post-harvest management; map ecosystem of market players for each value chain; develop reports to the government; and, make recommendations on ways to improve market linkages.
You will report to the East Africa Government Relations Senior Manager overseeing the technical services program, within the wider global government relations and policy team.
- Lead field work in 12 counties to ensure farm input packages are trialed, including developing impactful training using participatory on-farm methods, and tracking progress using project management tools
- Scope out projects using short-term goals and performance measurement metrics that support project delivery through critical path approach.
- Lead project development and process improvements within strict timelines, delivering according to specific performance metrics.
- Identify potential program risks and areas of misalignment between teams, and develop mitigation actions
- Map the four value chains including main actors, flow of products, infrastructure facilities, financial institutions and supporting organizations, with a view to identifying gaps and developing recommendations on how to enhance outcomes for smallholder farmers
- Provide technical expertise in areas such as enhanced agricultural production, post-harvest handling, storage, and processing, improved food security, and improved market linkages, based on empirical data and recommendations that are impactful
- Work with the M&E team to design data collection methods and capture all the anticipated benefits from value chain interventions
- Design and implement capacity building workshops for county and national government officials in the areas of input adoption, value chain development, post-harvest management, and market linkages.
- Organize and facilitate discussions on agribusiness policy issues involving representatives of the private and public sector
- Lead the sensitization and awareness creation with all key stakeholders including county and national government officials, agro-dealers, and farmer groups
- Produce regular, high-quality written materials in the form of policy recommendations, externally facing reports, internal memos, and status updates.
Career Growth and Development
We have a strong culture of constant learning and we invest in developing our people. You’ll have weekly check-ins with your manager, access to mentorship and training programs, and regular feedback on your performance. We hold career reviews every six months, and set aside time to discuss your aspirations and career goals. You’ll have the opportunity to shape a growing organization and build a rewarding long-term career.
Across all roles, these are the general qualifications we look for. For this role specifically, you will have:
- Experience working in the agriculture sector, including agriculture policy reform in Kenya
- Experience working directly with farmers and rural communities will also be advantageous
- A background in management consulting in the agricultural sector is also valuable
- Demonstrated organizational abilities, particularly in unstructured environments
- Advanced research and analysis skills
- Strong written and oral communications skills
- Collaborative professional, able to work with different teams
- English and Kiswahili fluency required