Job Vacancy: Coordinator , Eastern Africa Secretariat for the Ecological Organic Agriculture Initiative (EOAI)
Introduction: Participatory Ecological Land Use Management (PELUM Kenya) Association, the Regional Secretariat for the African Union-led Ecological Organic Agriculture Initiative, seeks to fill the position of the Coordinator for the EOAI in Eastern Africa.
The African Union-led Ecological Organic Agriculture (EOA) Initiative has the goal of contributing to mainstreaming of Ecological Organic Agriculture into national policies, plans and programmes by 2025 to improve agricultural productivity, food security, access to markets and sustainable development in Africa.
It is implemented through programmes and projects under the guidance and oversight of the AU chaired Continental Steering Committee (CSC) mandated to establish an African organic farming platform based on available best practices; and to develop sustainable organic farming systems and improve seed quality.
At regional level the oversight is provided by the Regional Steering Committee (RSC) with the support of a secretariat.
The Coordinator of the EOA-I RSC Secretariat is responsible for coordinating the operations of the Regional Steering Committee and is hosted at PELUM Kenya Country Office, Juja, Kenya.
Applications for this position are invited from qualified candidates in Kenya.
Key Roles and Responsibilities of the Coordinator
a) Organizing and facilitating the Eastern Africa Regional Steering Committee (RSC) meetings and other regional events and fora
b) Receiving and transmitting the Regional Steering Committee (RSC) official communications and maintaining documentation of the RSC
c) Preparing minutes and reports for the RSC and its special Sub-committees
d) Making follow ups on agreed upon action points, decisions and resolutions made by the RSC
e) Maintaining an active and effective network of international and national organizations for routine communication of progress and results of the activities of the RSC
f) Liaising with relevant networks, forums and associations that support OA in close collaboration with the RSC
g) Undertake advocacy and lobby activities that enhance the support of different partners and stakeholders in Eastern Africa to the EOAI
h) Participating, as appropriate, in the monitoring of activities of EOA projects carried under the general framework of the RSC or its special committees
i) Documentation and sharing success stories, case studies, news and publications that relate to EOA in the Eastern Africa Region
j) Consolidating and synthesizing reports from EOAI Eastern Africa partners for presentation to various stakeholders
Qualifications and Requirements
The ideal candidate should have the following desired qualifications and minimum requirements:
1. At least a Master’s Degree in sustainable development, environmental management disciplines and agriculture related courses including organic agriculture. Those with higher, relevant and compensating experiences will also be considered.
2. Have proven ability to work smoothly with multi-stakeholder platforms in the government and civil society sector. Those with experience in working in the Eastern Africa region and with networks of primary beneficiaries (farmers, students, communities etc) and CSOs will have an added advantage.
3. Have at least 5 years of proven experience and demonstrable skills in fundraising through resource mobilization and proposal writing.
4. Have at least 5 years proven experience and demonstrable skills in working for busy and reputable national or regional networks.
5. Be computer literate and proven ability in the general use of Microsoft Computer packages, internet and emails.
6. Have good skills in report writing for multiple audience categories.
7. Must be willing to grow the Eastern Africa EOA Initiative Cluster to a vibrant platform for networking in Agroecology and take on the challenge of mobilizing resources for the initiative.
8. Have proven communication, public speaking, interpersonal and negotiation skills.
9. Be fluent in English. Ability to speak French will be an added advantage.
10. Demonstrated leadership and management skills.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should submit their applications stating current and expected salary and a detailed CV with a contact mobile phone number and names and contacts of three referees to [email protected] with the subject: EOAI Coordinator to reach by 10th May 2021.
Applicants should NOT attach any scanned copies of certificate or testimonials.
Only short listed applicants will be acknowledged.
PELUM Kenya is an equal opportunity employer.