- Company: United Nations Development Programme (UNDP)
- Location: Kenya
- State: Nairobi
- Job type: Full-Time
- Job category: Administrative/Secretarial Jobs in Kenya
The United Nations Development Programme (UNDP) is the United Nations’ global development network. Headquartered in New York City, UNDP advocates for change and connects countries to knowledge, experience and resources to help people build a better life. It provides expert advice, training, and grants support to developing countries, with increasing emphasis on assistance to the least developed countries.
UN Women, grounded in the vision of equality enshrined in the Charter of the United Nations, works for the elimination of discrimination against women and girls; the empowerment of women; and the achievement of equality between women and men as partners and beneficiaries of development, human rights, humanitarian action and peace and security.
In Kenya, the UN Women Country Programme contributes to the development objectives of Kenya’s blueprint, the Vision 2030, the SDGs particularly, SDG 5 and is aligned to the United Nations Development Assistance Frameworks (UNDAF) 2018-2022 as well as UN Women Global Strategic Plan. The Kenya Country Programme – “Gender Equality and Women’s Empowerment Gains Consolidated’ – aims to achieve the following results: (i) Increased women’s leadership and participation in governance; (ii) Strengthened women’s economic empowerment; (iii) Increased protection of women against gender-based violence & access to justice for women; and (iv) Strengthened women’s leadership in peace building and humanitarian response.
The Women’s Economic Empowerment programme in Kenya Country Office focus on two key areas: a) Climate Resilient Agriculture with focus on closing the gender gap in agriculture by supporting women farmers in the agriculture value chain to enhance their resilience to climate change and increase agricultural productivity; and b) Access to Markets /Procurement opportunities for women entrepreneurs, with focus on supporting government and private sector companies to implement, monitor and report on affirmative procurement policy, and supporting women owned businesses to be competitive.
As part of the Women’s Economic Empowerment Programme, UN Women and FAO with support from Korea International Cooperation Agency (KOICA) will be implementing a 4-year Joint Programme on “Economic Empowerment of Women Through Climate-Smart Agriculture” in three arid and semi-arid (ASAL) counties of Kitui, Laikipia and West Pokot.
Reporting to the Deputy Country Director, the Programme Analyst, Women’s Economic Empowerment is responsible for managing the development, implementation, monitoring and reporting of the Country Office WEE programme, with special focus on the climate smart agriculture programme. The functions include providing technical support, overseeing and guiding people, budget management, building partnerships and providing support in resource mobilization, and managing knowledge building efforts.
Duties And Responsibilities
Contribute technically to the development of programme strategies in the area of Women’s Economic Empowerment (WEE) in Kenya
- Provide substantive inputs to the design and formulation of programme/ project proposals and initiatives
- Support to translate the priorities of the Strategic Note into programme interventions in WEE;
- Draft inputs to country strategy documents, briefs, policy dialogue and other documents related to WEE;
- Identify areas for support and interventions within the areas of WEE;
- Review and evaluate partners proposals;
Provide Substantive Technical support to the implementation and management of WEE programme
- Provide technical inputs to the annual workplan and budget;
- Lead the implementation of programme activities;
- Lead the coordination of the call/request for proposals, including the organization of technical review committees, and capacity assessment of partners;
- Review, coordinate and monitor the submission of implementing partner financial and narrative reports;
- Train partners on Results Based Management and monitor implementation
Provide technical assistance and capacity development to WEE project/programme partners:
- Coordinate and provide technical support in the implementation of Programme activities; Develop technical knowledge products
- Maintain relationships with national partners to support implementation and expansion of the WEE programme;
- Identify opportunities for capacity building of partners and facilitate technical/ programming support and trainings to partners, as needed
- Participate in capacity assessment to identify capacity building needs of stakeholders;
- Lead the coordination of technical assistance, mentoring, training and capacity development initiatives to partners.
Provide technical inputs to the monitoring and reporting of the programme/ project
- Monitor progress of implementation of activities and finances using results-based management tools;
- Draft reports on monitoring missions, programme results s, outputs and outcomes;
- Provide substantive inputs to the preparation of donor and UN Women reports.
Provide substantive technical inputs to the management of people and finances of the WEE programme
- Monitor budget implementation and make budget re-alignments/ revisions, as necessary;
- Provide substantive inputs to financial reports;
- Supervise Programme Associates and Assistant.
Provide substantive inputs to building partnerships and resource mobilization strategies
- Provide substantive inputs to resource mobilization strategies; analyze and maintain information and databases;
- Prepare relevant documentation such as project summaries, conference papers, briefing notes, speeches, and donor profiles;
- Participate in donor meetings and public information events, as delegated.
Provide technical support to inter-agency coordination on WEE to achieve coherence and alignment of UN Women programmes with other partners in the country
- Provide substantive technical support to the Representative and Deputy Representative on inter-agency coordination related activities by drafting background reports and briefs.
- Represent UN Women in inter-agency coordination related activities by attending meetings, events, participating in groups and committees as needed and providing substantive inputs;
Provide substantive inputs to advocacy, knowledge building and communication efforts
- Develop background documents, briefs and presentations related to WEE;
- Coordinate and organize advocacy campaigns, events, trainings, workshops, and knowledge products;
- Coordinate the development of knowledge management methodologies, and products on WEE;
- Support UN Women’s participation in policy dialogues on issues related to WEE as necessary;
- Support to develop advocacy strategies and oversee their implementation;
- Identify best practices and lessons learned to guide programme improvement and strategy planning;
- Contribute to develop knowledge management strategies, products, and methodologies on WEE programme
Build partnerships and support in developing resource mobilization strategies
- Support to develop and implement partnerships and resource mobilization strategies;
- Support to finalize relevant documentation on donors and potential opportunities for resource mobilization;
- Analyze and research information on donors, prepare substantive briefs on possible areas of cooperation, identification of opportunities for cost sharing.
Key Performance Indicators
- Timely and quality inputs to programme development
- Timely and quality implementation of Programme/Portfolio/ activities against set workplans, timelines, and budgets, in line with the Strategic Note
- Timely and quality technical assistance
- Quality and timely inputs to reporting
- Strong relations with partners and stakeholders
- Enhanced best practices and lessons learned documented and circulated
- Respect for Diversity
- Awareness and Sensitivity Regarding Gender Issues
- Creative Problem Solving
- Effective Communication
- Inclusive Collaboration
- Stakeholder Engagement
- Leading by Example
- Good programme formulation, implementation, monitoring and evaluation skills
- Good knowledge of Results Based Management
- Ability to gather and interpret data, reach logical conclusions and present findings and recommendations
- Good analytical skills
- Good knowledge of women’s economic empowerment with special focus on Climate Smart Agriculture
- Ability to identify and analyze trends, opportunities, and threats to fundraising