- Company: World Vision Kenya
- Location: Kenya
- State: Nanyuki
- Job type: Full-Time
- Job category: Project Management Jobs in Kenya
World Vision is an international Christian relief, development and advocacy organisation working in almost 100 countries world-wide to create lasting change in the lives of children, families and communities to overcome poverty and injustice.
Reporting to : Program Director
Grade Level : 16
Work Location : Nanyuki
Purpose of Position
To provide programmatic, technical and managerial support in the implementation of IMARA program in Elgeyo Marakwet, West Pokot and Turkana Counties which aims at strengthening the target groups towards sustainable natural resource management for improved livelihoods. The job holder will be required to give feedback and reports to IMARA Consortium, partners, donor, National, Regional and subsequent Area Program Office where IMARA program is covering. S/he will be an active participant in the consortium reporting and participating in meetings and forums under the IMARA Secretariat.
Program Coordination and Management (40%)
- The jobholder will be the accountable person for the Program under World Vision Component and will work in close collaboration with the AP Managers, program staffs, Government line ministries in the Counties and Cooperating partners of this grant – Northern Rangelands Trust, Masai Mara Wild Life Conservancy Association, Saferworld and Stockholm Environment Institute.
- Provide technical support and guidance in implementation of the program objectives
- Monitor and ensure that grant is managed and executed as per plans within time and budgets, meeting donor, World Vision and community accountability;
- Monitor Budget Utilization in line with planned Detailed Implementation Plan (DIP) as per WVK Financial Standards and donor requirements
- Provide effective, innovative and strategic coordinating role in the IMARA program implementation;
- Ensure that all IMARA initiatives within the program’s area of influence meet or exceed planned outcomes and are implemented timely;
- Ensure program implementation is in compliance with Donor standards, WVK Policies & Procedures and aligned to acceptable financial & operational audit results.
- Ensure inclusion of cross cutting themes including gender, youth, conflict sensitivity, disability and social inclusion
- Ensure integration between the IMARA Program activities and other WVK livelihoods and resilience development programs in Kenya, and other relevant Global WV entities
- Actively participate in IMARA Program meetings, Technical Working Groups, and Program Team meetings as appropriate
- Manage and coordinate the IMARA team ensuring competent and motivated staff as well as manage performance of staff and encourage on-the-job coaching, identify and address learning and training needs and opportunities
- Design, Monitoring, Evaluation and Reporting (30%)
- Ensure accurate and quality Program Design Documents (PDD) are on file
- Contextualize and utilize planning guidelines for the IMARA Program
- Ensure accurate and quality Annual Operation Plan (AOP) and Detailed Implementation Plan (DIP) for the program in place and utilized
- Work closely with IMARA Secretariat MEAL to effectively support the program to carry out all measurements and assessments – baselines, assessments, designs, monitoring and evaluations – in accordance with donor requirements and WV established standards, policies and procedures;
- Coordinate with the IMARA Secretariat MEAL to ensure that appropriate controls, monitoring and evaluation tools are in place and being utilized in a timely manner;
- Ensure the program achieves Child Well-Being Outcomes in line with the organization’s Ministry Framework and Development Approach, and WVK’s strategic priorities and the program designs.
- Develop monthly schedule for monitoring together with communities and partners;
- Ensure community capacity building plan on monitoring is in place and utilized;
- Participate in monthly data collection – (involving communities and partners) using the standardized tools
- Monitor monthly program expenditure
- Ensure effective communication between IMARA Secretariat, communities/partners and the baseline/evaluation team;
- Ensure all targeted respondents / stakeholders are mobilized in a timely manner during data collection exercise.
- Apply Contextualized and utilized reporting guidelines
- Generate quality Monthly Management Reports (MMR) informed by accurate analysed data written using language that is appropriate to the reader and in line with World Vision reporting guidelines;
- Generate Quality & Accurate quarterly, semi-annual and annual reports informed by MMR and in line with donor regulations;
- In liaison with Communications Officer, Develop context specific electronic and live media communications on program activities
- Work with MEAL Coordinator ensure effective reflection and learning forums in the counties
- Work with MEAL Coordinator to build the capacity for designing, monitoring, evaluating and learning from market-based approaches – to collate, synthesize and communicate the evidence base for the economic development component.
- Participate in quarterly monitoring visits to the field to review progress, gather stories of change associated with Market systems development, sustainable natural resources-based VCs, and financial inclusion to identify and address strategic gaps;
Engagement, Networking and Fundraising (20%)
- Represent WVK in county, national and other Regional forums as approved by the Program Director.
- Coordinate and Manage Relationships with credible research institutions and private sector to support research component and market systems strengthening component in the program under the agreed framework.
- Participate in Turkana, West Pokot and Elgeyo Marakwet County Environmental Stakeholders forums/technical working groups as well as supporting WVK the program staff and cluster managers on engagement in relation to Natural Resource Management as well as articulating Environment and Climate change objectives in the forum.
- Participate in development of innovative NRM, Climate Change Adaptation and other Resilience Building concepts and proposals for building community resilience for fundraising as well as marketing Integrated NRM to various Learning forums.
- Build and Maintain effective communications and pro-active relationships with partners including the county government and the donor
- Collaborate with line ministries and departments in providing technical support and assistance to the program
- Support implementing staff to successfully engage with key internal and external stakeholders, including other IMARA entities, private sector, community, religious leaders and other civil society representatives in order to maximize the impact of interventions;
- Support timely development of funding proposals in line with donor requirements and WVK standards in collaboration with Resource acquisition department;
- Actively engage with peers across the IMARA Consortium and WV Partnership
- Participate in public forums and events as appropriate.
Advocacy: Policy and Budget Influence (5%)
- Coordinate advocacy and policy influence initiatives of the program at county and national level
- Increase the visibility of WVK and the donor by maintaining active engagement and advocacy on NRM related matters
- Ensure that staff capacity around policy and advocacy is built.
- Take lead on integrating World Vision Global Campaign on Ending Violence against children
- Participate in Trans teams and support other initiatives by partners in the spirit of integration
- Perform any other duties as assigned by supervisor or designee.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Degree in Natural Resource Management, Agriculture, Agro-forestry, Range land Management, Agricultural Economics, Agribusiness Management and Marketing, or any other related discipline.
- Post graduate degree in any of the above or Business/MBA/Leadership/organizational development is desirable
- Minimum 7 years of relevant work experience five of which must be in Managing multi agency livelihood and Resilience grants in ASAL Counties;
- Knowledge in renewable energies and alternative technologies are of advantage;
- At least 5 years’ experience in designing, planning, implementing, supervising and reporting on integrated sustainable Natural Resource-based Value chains marketing, Business Development, Enterprise development and/or Livelihoods programming
- Experience in working with consortium partners, county governments, private sector, civil society, donors and local communities;
- Good understanding of NRM in ASAL context and Dryland Agricultural systems Market systems strenthenings, Peace Programming and Governance.
- A broad grasp of socio – economic policy issues with respect to NRM, Agriculture, Food security, livestock and other Livelihoods, range management and marketing in both rural and often fragile context
- Familiarity with participatory market approaches and making Markets Work for the Poor approaches
- Deep understanding and ability to work in a fragile often interfaith context
- Understanding of gender and diversity issues and commitment to addressing inequalities in all the key areas of responsibility
- Ability to work under pressure and strict deadlines
- Understanding of development/relief issues with commitment to humanitarian principles and action
- Good financial/budget management
- Good people management, training and coaching skills with strong conceptual and analytical skills
- The ability to work independently, think innovatively and strategically and work effectively within a team