IT Specialist Job, Current IT Jobs Kenya,
Established in 1988, African Economic Research Consortium is a premier capacity building
institution in the advancement of research and training to inform economic policies in sub-Saharan
Africa. AERC’s mission rests on two premises: first, that development is more likely to occur where
there is sustained sound management of the economy; second, that such management is more likely
to happen where there is an active, well-informed cohort of locally based professional economists
to conduct policy-relevant research. AERC builds that cohort through a programme that has three
primary components: research, training, and policy outreach. The organization integrates high
quality economic policy research, postgraduate training, and policy outreach within a vast network
of researchers, universities, and policy makers across Africa and beyond. We are seeking to fill
the position of an IT Specialist, to be based in Nairobi, Kenya. The position will report to the
Chief Communications & Policy Outreach Officer.
Overall Job Purpose
The overall purpose of the role is to identify and implement technology IT infrastructure and
solutions to support the AERC operations. The incumbent is expected to oversee and maintain all
IT systems both on site and remotely. The role serves as the liaison to the organization and
identifies, communicates findings, and makes recommendations on all IT related matters.
Duties & Responsibilities
1. Information Technology Management
• Design and implement a comprehensive and sustainable IT Strategy which is in line with
the AERC’s overall strategic objectives and mandate.
• Create and manage a strong IT infrastructure, cloud infrastructure, connectivity solutions
and a resilient cybersecurity infrastructure.
• Accountable for delivery, business continuity, information security, risk management and
effective support of the IT infrastructure and systems.
• Take the lead in IT client business relationship management for all internal and external
stakeholders of AERC, including staff, researchers, students, workshop participants,
committee members and industry regulators, etc.
• Develop, deploy, and maintain appropriate business applications that support critical
business processes to facilitate operations and decision making such as MS Navision or
custom-made systems like Learning Management System, Research Management
• Develop, deploy, and maintain performance monitoring and reporting systems that
provide management and technical reports for decision making and operational support.
• Management of IT service providers and vendors.
• Continuously research on IT innovations and provide business improvement
opportunities for the various functions.
2. Secondary Responsibilities
• Undertake any other duties as may be assigned.
Qualification and Experience
• Master’s Degree in Computer Science, Information Systems Management, or any other
• Professional certification such as CISM or equivalent would be an added advantage.
• Professional certification in Business Management, Project Management or related fields
would be an added advantage.
• At least 6 – 7 years relevant experience.
Key Skills and Competencies
• Expert knowledge of IT Best Practices, policies, and regulations (E.g., NIST
• In depth understanding of programming and cybersecurity.
• Excellent knowledge of technical management, business process analysis and computer
• Expertise in data center management and data governance.
• Clear understanding of client/ server technology and network architecture.
• Excellent knowledge in cloud environments, systems integration and architecture.
• Excellent speaking and writing skills – ability to communicate complex information in
simple and concise language.
• Good leadership and conflict management skills.
• Good customer service skills.
• A team player with the ability to work in an international and multicultural setting.
• Strong attention to details.
• Good project management skills including organizational planning, time management
and priority setting.
AERC offers a competitive remuneration and benefits package.
How to Apply
Interested applicants are invited to visit AERC’s website at
to view the detailed descriptions of duties and required qualifications. All applications must
include a cover letter and a resume which has at least three referees which should be sent to
[email protected] by Friday 22nd April 2022. Due to the expected volume of applications, AERC will only enter further correspondence with