- Company: GitLab Inc
- Location: Kenya
- State: Nairobi
- Job type: Full-Time
- Job category: IT/Telecom Jobs in Kenya
GitLab is a complete DevOps platform, delivered as a single application, fundamentally changing the way Development, Security, and Ops teams collaborate and build software. From idea to production, GitLab helps teams improve cycle time from weeks to minutes, reduce development costs and time to market while increasing developer productivity.
What You’ll Do In This Role
- Manage a team of Backend Engineers who all contribute to the overall direction of Gitaly .
- Lead a team who are building Failover Clustering systems in Golang
- Help your engineers grow their skills and experience
- Author project plans for epics
- Run agile project management processes. We work iteratively and release monthly .
- Provide guidance and coaching to team members on technical contributions, product architecture, and other areas.
- Maintain empathy for the team by keeping awareness of engineering processes and practices. Examples might be: evaluating individual workflow during one on ones, conducting code reviews, or working on non-critical path bugs and/or features.
- Actively seek and hire globally-distributed talent
- Conduct managerial interviews for candidates, and train the team to do technical interviews
- Contribute to the sense of psychological safety on your team
- Generate and implement process improvements
- Hold regular 1:1s with all members of their team
- Give regular and clear feedback around the individual’s performance
- Foster technical decision making on the team, but make final decisions when necessary
- Draft quarterly OKRs and Engineering KPIs
- Improve product quality, security, and performance
You should apply if you bring:
- Experience as an Engineer in a team or managing a team who are running high availability I/O production services and/or Failover Clustering Systems
- Experience as an Engineer in a team or managing a team who are working in Golang. We don’t need a Go expert. However, it’s important you’re able to discuss technical rationale and reasoning with your direct reports.
- Knowledge of Git
- An ability to operate within our view on leadership
- Exquisite brokering skills: you’ll need to regularly achieve consensus amongst departments
- Demonstrated experience as a People Manager
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- You share our values , and work in accordance with those values
Also, we know it’s tough, but please try to avoid the confidence gap . You don’t have to match all the listed requirements exactly to be considered for this role.
Our hiring process for this Backend Manager, Engineering position typically follows four stages. The details of this process and our levelling structure can be found on our job family page .