- Company: UN-Habitat
- Location: Kenya
- State: Nairobi
- Job type: Full-Time
- Job category: - Project Management Jobs in KenyaUN-Habitat Jobs in Kenya
The Urban Planning and Design Lab (Urban Lab) of UN-Habitat is an initiative to promptly respond to the requests of national and local governments to support sustainable urban development. The Urban Lab is the integrative facility of the Agency where innovative processes and partnerships are translated into tangible and transformative solutions to complex urban challenges. Under the direct supervisor of the Chief of the Planning, Finance and Economic Section the incumbent will perform the following duties:
- Develops, implements and evaluates assigned programmes/projects, etc.; monitors and analyzes programme/project development and implementation; reviews relevant documents and reports; identifies problems and issues to be addressed and initiates corrective actions; liaises with relevant parties; ensures follow-up actions.
- Performs consulting assignments, in collaboration with the client, by planning facilitating workshops, through other interactive sessions and assisting in developing recommendations the client will use to manage the change.
- Researches, analyzes and presents information gathered from diverse sources.
- Coordinates policy development, including the review and analysis of issues and trends, preparation of evaluations or other research activities and studies.
- Organizes and prepares written outputs, e.g. draft background papers, analysis, sections of reports and studies, inputs to publications, etc.
- Provides substantive backstopping to consultative and other meetings, conferences, etc., to include proposing agenda topics, identifying participants, preparation of documents and presentations, etc.
- Initiates and coordinates outreach activities; conducts training workshops, seminars, etc.; makes presentations on assigned topics/activities.
- Leads and/or participates in large, complex field missions, in close collaboration with UN-Habitat’s regional and country offices and by informing the Resident Coordinator’s office including provision of guidance to external consultants, government officials and other parties and drafting mission summaries, etc.
- Coordinates activities related to budget funding (programme/project preparation and submissions, progress reports, financial statements, etc.) and prepares related documents/reports (pledging, work programme, programme budget, etc.).
- Coordinates the work components: technical support delivery, normative publications, including coordination of Expert Group Meetings and Advisory Group Meetings; oversight of of the development and review of project documents, theory of changes and d Logical Frameworks of urban development projects.
- Develops, implements and evaluates the UPD-Lab and Urban Planning, Finance and Economic Development Section portfolio, through project proposals, concept notes and by building partnerships with relevant knowledge and implementing partners.
- Performs other duties as required.
- PROFESSIONALISM: Knowledge and understanding of theories, concepts and approaches relevant to Urban Planning and Sustainable Urban Development and related fields. Ability to identify issues, analyze urban form, urban systems, economic and financial systems, underlying social, legal and financial mechanisms and the political context and participate in the resolution of issues/problems. Knowledge of the SDGs, their targets and indicators and the New Urban Agenda Ability to conduct data collection using various methods. Conceptual analytical and evaluative skills to conduct independent research and analysis, including familiarity with and experience in the use of various research sources, including electronic sources on the internet, intranet and other databases. Ability to apply judgment in the context of assignments given, plan own work and manage conflicting priorities. Shows pride in work and in achievements; demonstrates professional competence and mastery of subject matter; is conscientious and efficient in meeting commitments, observing deadlines and achieving results; is motivated by professional rather than personal concerns; shows persistence when faced with difficult problems or challenges; remains calm in stressful situations. Takes responsibility for incorporating gender perspectives and ensuring the equal participation of women and men in all areas of work.
- TEAMWORK: Works collaboratively with colleagues to achieve organizational goals; solicits input by genuinely valuing others’ ideas and expertise; is willing to learn from others; places team agenda before personal agenda; supports and acts in accordance with final group decision, even when such decisions may not entirely reflect own position; shares credit for team accomplishments and accepts joint responsibility for team shortcomings.
- PLANNING & ORGANIZING: Develops clear goals that are consistent with agreed strategies; identifies priority activities and assignments; adjusts priorities as required; allocates appropriate amount of time and resources for completing work; foresees risks and allows for contingencies when planning; monitors and adjusts plans and actions as necessary; uses time efficiently.
- Advanced university degree (Master’s degree or equivalent) in Architecture or Urban Planning or related field is required. A first-level university degree in combination with two additional years of qualifying experience may be accepted in lieu of the advanced university degree.
- A minimum of seven years of progressively responsible experience in programme management, coordination and implementation is required.
- Experience in coordinating cross functional teams or offices is required.
- Experience providing technical assistance in urban planning and design, advisory services and outreach is desirable.
- Experience with the United Nations or other international organizations is desirable.