Job Vacancy: Senior Information Technology Specialist
RTI International is an independent, nonprofit research institute dedicated to improving the human condition by turning knowledge into practice.
The organization provides research, development, and technical services to government and commercial clients in more than 75 countries.
Power Africa East Africa Energy Program is a four-year project working to increase on-grid electricity access, accelerate private sector investment, and improve the enabling environment of the power sector in East Africa.
RTI International leads implementation of this Power Africa coordinated program, a U.S. Government-led partnership, funded by the U.S. Agency for International Development (USAID).
RTI International seeks to recruit a Senior Information Technology (IT) Specialist to be based in Nairobi, Kenya under the Power Africa East Africa Energy Program.
Job Summary: The Senior IT Specialist will be responsible for coordinating and maintaining of technology required for day-to-day operations. She/he will provide project staff first level of support in Windows PCs, MacOS, and Windows Servers.
The IT specialist maintain network infrastructure ISP, Router, Ethernet switch and PBX phones as well as spare parts and hardware repair and restoration. She/he will set up, maintain, and support the IT infrastructure and equipment for EAEP offices in Kenya, Ethiopia, Somalia, Tanzania, Uganda and Rwanda and any additional project offices as they are established.
This position is supervised by the Director of Contracts & Operations for day to day work and the RTI ITS Regional Support Manager for technical or compliance matters.
- Ensure Windows and other softwares are well maintained and properly used.
- Ensure information is backed up and maintained in accordance with RTI policies and procedures.
- Configure and trouble-shoot Windows servers, laptops, desktops and printers.
- Institute and implement cutting-edge industry solutions by implementing technology that follows proven and published standards in accordance with RTI’s GTS protocols.
- Leading IT projects (capturing requirements, design, development, testing and deployment/roll out) and ensuring quality completion within set timelines and budget.
- Liaise with the GTS Governance, Risk and Compliance (GRC) department in ensuring that all software/ systems implemented are as per GTS policies.
- Undertake projects that reduce the complexity of work processes and deploy systems and services that can be scaled without altering the basic design or architecture of the system. Such as setting up an efficient video conferencing system in project offices to facilitate online meeting and collaboration between staff.
- Implement and manage existing tools towards strategic management of IT resources within the program. This includes monitoring of activities and tasks, such as WRIKE.
- Provision of technical specifications for IT items and equipment, timely and cost-effective procurement of IT resources through working closely with colleagues in administration and finance to ensure value for money. Additionally, negotiate robustly with suppliers to deliversustainable contracts and services.
- Provide effective capacity building initiatives to staff including orientation for new staff, training users on new initiatives within ITS, as well as creating tutorials for IT services and solutions.
Provide high quality and customer driven IT experience to users by steering the direction of IT solutions to deliver excellent customer services that meet and adapt to user demands as these
evolve. Also, partner with peer IT staff, regional ITS and technology suppliers to develop and share best practice. This involves consulting with staff and maintaining regular dialogue with user communities to understand their needs and the perception of service delivery.
- Provide support in the Financial Management System (QuickBooks) for Nairobi and the regional project offices.
- Manage SharePoint by customizing and enhancing the layout of the site; providing access and technical support for SharePoint users; develop, configure and maintain document libraries within SharePoint as per the needs of the technical leads.
- Provide technical support during meetings including video conferencing.
- Maintain an IT inventory for all IT equipment and/or software in accordance with RTI policy and procedures.
- Work with the capacity building and MEL teams in developing surveys, evaluations and assessments through an online tool e.g. (Alchemer).
- Any other duties that s/he may be assigned by project management from time to time.
- Minimum of 8 years of experience supporting and troubleshooting a wide range of IT infrastructure systems (Windows PCs, MacOS, Windows servers, printers, scanners, backup devices and networks or similar work environment).
- Bachelor of Business Information Technology , Bachelor of Science in Information Technology, Computer Science or a related field.
- Solid knowledge and understanding of Windows 10, Windows Server 2012, 2016, 2019 and MS Office 365
- Skills and knowledge in developing and maintaining a website and database system.
- Demonstrated experience troubleshooting network issues.
- Knowledge of Symantec DLO and Backup Exec is considered and asset.
- Strong interpersonal skills and ability to work as part of a team.
- Must possess excellent oral and written communication skills and fluency in English and local language.
Skills and Abilities
- Ability to multi-task
- Ability to work well with others
- Ability to listen and communicate well both verbally and in writing
- Ability to work independently
- Attention to detail and accuracy
Physical and mental demands
Physical and mental demands of this role include those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job, as outlined above.
Examples include: remaining in a stationary position for long periods of time; operating a computer and other office machinery; thinking, learning, and concentrating effectively and frequently communicating with other people, both within RTI and outside of RTI; frequently moving about inside and travel between offices; ability to handle the stress associated in meeting frequent, multiple and tight deadlines, ability to work in excess of 40 hours per week as workloadand deadlines may require, ability to have regular, reliable and predictable attendance.
The above information on this description has been designed to indicate the general nature and level of work performed by employees within this classification. It is not designed to contain or be interpreted as a comprehensive inventory of all duties, responsibilities, and qualifications required of employees assigned to this job.
Interested candidates should CLICK HERE to submit a cover letter and curriculum vitae via the below link by March 25th, 2021, 5.00 p.m.
Only shortlisted applicants will be contacted.
RTI International is an equal opportunity employer and female candidates are highly encouraged to apply.
*No applicant will ever be asked for any payment either to secure a role with RTI International or as a follow-up to having been awarded a position with RTI International. If anyone ever approaches you asking for any such payment, please immediately email [email protected]