Principle Legal Associate-Corporate Job, Legal Kenyan Job Vacancies 2021,
The role holder will be reporting to the Legal Manager, the purpose of this role is to assist the Legal Manager Corporate in the provision of legal support to the retail segment and the effective management of litigation and contractual risks
- Provide Legal Advisory specific to Real Estate and Conveyancing transactions undertaken by the Company.
- Draft contractual documents including Leases for Real Estate transactions by the Company.
- Provide Legal Advisory on other requested/assigned matters through the provision of Legal Opinions, Presentations and participation in internal/external meetings.
- Provide pro-active and/or strategic legal solutions to retail segment problems
- Keep abreast on upcoming laws and regulations and advise the business on implications thereof.
- Adhere to and Update the Legal Process Manuals.
- Draft, Negotiate and Review contracts or any other documentation assigned and assess legal implications that need to be brought to the executive management’s attention
- Manage external Advocates handling active briefs through pro-active correspondence
- Instruct Advocates to take up matters on behalf of the Company
- Review advocates legal costs to ensure that the same are within the Advocates Remuneration Order 2014 as well as attempt other cost saving measures
- Prepare and submit status reports within reporting timelines.
- Effective Management of disputes through alternative dispute resolution mechanisms, case management, review of pleadings, preparation of witnesses and attendance of court hearings
- Manage Legal documents and records and facilitate execution of legal documents in line with the Contract Management Policy
- Facilitate and participate in training programmes initiated by the Legal Department
- Attend and Participate in Departmental and Segment meetings.
- Assist in taking minutes as requested from time to time.
- Delegated Authority. As per the approved Delegated Authority Matrix
- Perform any other duties as may be assigned from time to time
Key Performance Measures
- Compliance with the set Turn Around Times on Legal Advisory and Contract Management
- Effective management of disputes
- Cost Savings
- As per Personal Scorecard
- Bachelor of Laws degree (LLB) from a recognized University;
- Post graduate Diploma from Kenya School of Law
- An advocate of the High Court of Kenya holding a valid practicing certificate with at least 4 years post admission experience;
- At least 4 years relevant experience in the conveyancing and/or commercial department of a busy law firm or legal corporate environment.
- Knowledge and understanding of conveyancing, Real Estate, commercial law and the respective Laws and regulations;
Technical/ Functional competencies
- Knowledge, appreciation and application of legal concepts
- Report writing-ability
- High moral and ethical standing
- Highly motivated and Team Player
- Innovative, Problem solver and solution oriented
- Proficient in Microsoft Office (Word, PowerPoint and Excel)
How to Apply