- Company: Lutheran World Federation
- Location: Kenya
- State: Nairobi
- Job type: Full-Time
- Job category: Advertising/Media Jobs in Kenya
The Lutheran World Federation (LWF; German: Lutherischer Weltbund) is a global communion .The Department for World Service is the LWF’s humanitarian arm. It has programmes in 32 countries. The LWF is a member of ACT Alliance.
The Communications Officer role aims to ensure that LWF’s communications are effective, targeted, and credible. The position will develop and implement strategies to raise LWF’s media profile and the profile of refugees and the host community in Turkana West Sub County.
He/She will work with relevant LWF sectors to develop strategies and create content to support LWF’s publicity objectives and strengthens LWF’s role as a trusted voice in refugee and host community matters.
The incumbent will report directly to Area Manager or his/her designate.
Duties and responsibilities
- Develop and generate compelling digital advocacy contents, stories, and information and knowledge publications
- Design and advice suppliers on branding and information sharing materials
- Lead in the identification of success stories and human-interest stories.
- Coordinate and respond to external communications need.
- Develop and maintain relationships with accredited journalists and media outlets.
- Implement and evaluate LWF’s Communication strategy in consultation with the Senior Management.
- Develop and pitch proactive media opportunities in consultation with LWF senior management.
- Lead and monitor a practical guide for all external and (where appropriate) internal communications materials.
- Monitor daily media and advise on reactive media opportunities.
- Write and distribute media releases with LWF communications.
- Lead production of LWF’s communications materials, including an e-newsletter, Sector Bulletins, brochures and promotional material.
- Contribute to the development and delivery of communication strategies for events, forums and policy submissions.
- A university degree or associate degree in communications, graphic design, social sciences, journalism, international relations or related field from an accredited/recognized institute./
- A minimum of three years’ experience working with an international nongovernmental organization, media outlets, photojournalism and videography.
- Have a certificate in communication techniques such as Photography, Videography and Graphic Design.
- Experience in online communications, including developing and implementing online strategies/content, social media pages and maintaining websites.
- Must possess a certificate of Good Conduct.
- Actively protect children in every aspect of work and personal life by preventing harm and reporting child abuse.
- Excellent communication skills both orally and in writing.
- Excellent interpersonal skills.
- Good I.T. skills.
- Presentation skills.
- Ability to prioritize and plan effectively.
- Awareness of different media agendas.
- Team orientation.
- Respect for diversity.
- Monitoring abilities.
- Relationship building skills.