- Company: Maersk Line
- Location: Kenya
- State: Nairobi
- Job type: Full-Time
- Job category: Logistics/Transportation Jobs in Kenya
Maersk Line is the world’s largest container shipping company, known for reliable, flexible and eco-efficient services. We operate 610 container vessels and provide ocean transportation in all parts of the world. But not only do we power some of the world’s largest ships – we also propel the growth ambitions of businesses and individuals all over our planet. Every day our 7,000 seafarers and 25,000 land-based employees at 374 offices share their expertise with our customers around the world to optimize their supply chains, maximize their distribution networks and most of all realize their business potential. We are devoted to creating simple and reliable solutions for our partners, continuously lifting industry standards and enabling global trade in the most sustainable manner possible. What we do is more than shipping. We deliver promises. Promises from customers and businesses all over the world
We are looking for an enthusiastic Port Captain with extensive experience in Operations to join our Africa Liner Operations Cluster.
The role will be based in Mombasa, Kenya and includes Kenya, Tanzania, and Horn of Africa Port locations, reporting to the General Manager Head of Husbanding, based in South Africa.
You will be expected to ensure physical presence on the operation location and to maintain relations with the terminals and ports in order to achieve high performance on Maersk Line vessels.
We offer a position in a challenging and ever-changing environment in which you will sharpen your industry knowledge as well as your communication skills and techniques relevant to the Operations.
You will be expected to:
- Lead your team, providing coaching, training and improving their execution processes
- Drive and improve port productivity and reduce vessel port stay by aligning with the marine berth and schedule teams in Cape Town
- Constant analysis of operational execution for the onsite location followed by reviews and improvement plans to report to the Marine Division
- Monitor compliance to Maersk Line operation standards, spot improvement areas and immediately initiate action to resolve them while making sure relevant stakeholders are involved
- Build and maintain good and strong relationships with both Internal and External stakeholders while continuously engaging with them to protect Maersk Line’s operational interests
- Ensure your team is fully equipped with operational and safety tools to execute the operations
- Drive the communication behavior persistently so the team is constantly aligned with the 24hr teams in Cape Town
- Support the AFRLOC and the local organization make well informed choices between commercial upsides and operational exposures
We are looking for
We are looking for a driven individual with the following:
- A Degree in any Business related course
- At least 10 years working experience in Operational roles (ideally in container terminals, local operations and/or stowage co-ordination)
- Project and Change management experience
- Knowledge of continuous improvement process would be an advantage
- Analytical: able to understand and process available information received from multiple sources thereby enabling effective decision-making
- Detail orientated able to understand logical process flows
- Collaborative with sharp communication skills – both written and verbal
- Capable of successfully coping in a highly pressurized environment
- Excellent Leadership qualities as well as relationship management skillsboth within one’s own working environment and externally
- Able to demonstrate initiative and work independently towards success
- Resilient in order to implement outstanding solutions