Terms of Reference For:
Convene ‘Explainer’ Animated Video
World Vision Somalia
Somali Response Innovation Lab
World Vision Somalia
Somali Response Innovation Lab (SomRIL)
SIDA (for the video)
Consultancy / Freelance Multimedia animator / Graphical design / Visual storyteller
Estimated working days:
Estimated number of staff required to work on the project:
Somali Response Innovation Lab Manager and WV Somalia Senior Communications Manager
Starting date (TBC):
1.0 Organizational Context
The Response Innovation Lab’s role is innovation on the ground in humanitarian contexts – real time solving of problems in large-scale humanitarian emergencies and protracted crises such as earthquakes, typhoons, civil war and unrest. Similar to business, there are problems, both simple and complex, that are often only visible on the ground.
Our aim is to complement the traditional humanitarian system by adapting interventions and methods of humanitarian operations to more effectively meet the needs of populations affected by crisis. The RIL develops, tests and rolls out proven concepts that overcome context-specific problems or barriers to aid delivery and community recovery. On the ground amongst humanitarian agencies, innovations will work toward reducing the suffering of those affected by crisis and help communities to recover faster and build back better.
The Response Innovation Lab (RIL) is an interagency global partnership, whose original founding members include World Vision, Oxfam, Save the Children, Civic George Washington University that operates in Iraq, Jordan, Uganda, Puerto Rico, Somalia, South Sudan and Yemen. The RIL is hosted under the SomReP consortium (lead by World Vision) in Somalia.
2.0 Project Overview
One of the RIL’s core services is the Convene, which is our mechanism for breaking down silos in the humanitarian ecosystem.
Convening all stakeholders involved in the response is the first action the RIL takes. In doing so, the intent is to understand and build the Ecosystem surround the response. Through the convening, an Ecosystem Map is produced that highlights who all the stakeholders are, where and how they work. The Ecosystem then works together to identify current challenges that are affecting the population the most, and how and if they overlap with other challenges – we call this the Challenge Map. When the ecosystem and challenges are mapped, RIL moves into the second function of MatchMaking ( https://youtu.be/LXKiqLak07o ).
Currently, the Convene function is utilized by the RIL to bring stakeholders together to do research, promote cross-learning, build a shared understanding or consensus, bring together humanitarian actors with ‘non-traditional’ actors, and conduct various elements of ecosystem mapping (i.e. challenge mapping, solution mapping, stakeholder mapping…).
With this video, the RIL wants to ease the understanding of the Convene function and attract organizations to participate in this.
3.0 Scope of Work
To highlight and explain the steps and procedure of RIL’s Convene function through a short information (explainer) animated video.
3.2 Expected Outcomes (Key Results Expected / Key Deliverables)
· The first version of the deliverables is expected to be received within 2 weeks.
· This will include two (2) versions of the same video, one in Somali, and one in English.
· The videos should be high-definition and formats Mp2 & Mp4 only.
· The videos should be edited and refined before final submission.
· All the raw footage will be submitted to World Vision Somalia and RIL.
· Consultant will prepare script and narration for overall animation in English explaining step-by-step actions
· Consulting the content of the video outlined in the already drafted storyboard.
· Developing the graphics for a short 2-5 minutes video.
· The audio in the video should be in English and Somali, but possible to translate to other languages at a later stage.
· Editing video content in English and Somali language with subtitles as required and soundtrack or voice-over option.
· Presenting the rough cut of the video to the Communication department and project Coordination team for review, inputs and feedback.
· Revising the video based on inputs
4.0 Project Timeline
The expected timeline is 10-15 days.
5.0 Ethical Requirements
World Vision will provide guidance on how the video depicts people to ensure child-safeguarding principles that the consultants will have to abide by.
· Copyright solely belongs to RIL (and World Vision); therefore, all productions and written content will be purely RIL property.
· RIL and donor logo and any other logo allowed the coordination team can appear on productions.
· Any of the content produced during this project cannot be re-used for another purpose without RIL’s permission.
· All outputs will be provided and should have logos as agreed with coordination team.
7.0 Evaluation Criteria
7.1 Mandatory Requirements
a. Provide a certified copy of a certificate of business registration, Certificate of incorporation, business license or similar document (Companies/Organizations)
b. Provide a certified copy of tax registration, tax clearance certificates or similar documents (Companies/Organization)
c. Individual tax registration documents (for individual consultants)
d. Provide information on ownership structure (Name of directors of the company / Owner) (Companies/Organization)
e. Provide last two years of audited financial statements or tax filing, or similar documents (Companies/Organization)
f. Provide references from previous clients for similar works.
Note – Applicant who will not meet the above mandatory requirement will not be considered for Technical Evaluation.
7.2 Technical Evaluation by a Technical Team
Applicants will need to have the following experiences and qualifications – as detailed in their Technical Proposal (CV and Portfolio) that are submitted as part of the application:
· 2-3 examples of past video animation productions they have directly designed and produced.
· Well qualified persons in the required field with previous experience with similar jobs with donors’ entities and humanitarian agencies.
· Using innovative communication techniques and tools in conducting its work.
· Knowledge of NGO visibility requirements.
· Understanding of cultural conditions in Somalia.
· Ability to express clearly and concisely ideas and concepts through graphic development and video development.
· Fluency in spoken and written English is essential.
All applicant Technical Proposals (CV and Portfolio) will be reviewed by a panel of WV / RIL technical and communication people to determine:
· If the applicant has the necessary skills and experience to deliver on the Expected Outcomes
7.3 Financial Evaluation
All bidders are advised to submit the following Financial Proposal:
· Total cost to deliver on project (Quote)
· Payment Terms (i.e. full payment on completion, 30% down payment to begin project…)
8.0 Application Process
All interested bidders/consultants are requested to submit their Technical Proposals and Financial Proposals in Separate documents as attachments (Bidders who will combine both technical and financial proposals shall be disqualified) via email [email protected] on or before 12 th April 2021*. Bids received after deadline shall not be considered. *
Email title should be;- Convene ‘Explainer’ Animated Video Application
Your Financial Proposal should have your professional fee (quote to deliver on the project) and Payment Terms. Financial Proposal (Quote and Payment Terms) should not be part of the Technical Proposal (CV and Portfolio), it should be a separate document. Technical proposal should outline the methodology for undertaking the video animation, as well as, the detailed work plan showing the assignment’s important activities and milestones.
Only the final selected candidate will be contacted,
How to Apply
All interested bidders/consultants are requested to submit their Technical Proposals and Financial Proposals in Separate documents as attachments (Bidders who will combine both technical and financial proposals shall be disqualified) via email so[email protected] on or before 12 th April 2021*. Bids received after deadline shall not be considered. *