Director of Legal Services Jobs, Legal Jobs, CoG Jobs
The Council of Governors (CoG) is established under Section 19 of the Intergovernmental Relations Act 2012 with the mandate to provide a mechanism for consultation amongst County Governments, share information on performance of the counties in execution of their functions, facilitate capacity building for governors, and consider reports from other intergovernmental forums on national and county interests amongst other functions (Section 20).
To enable the Council to achieve its mandate and vision, the Council wishes to recruit results-oriented individual with drive, vision and creativity to fill the following position:
DIRECTOR LEGAL SERVICES
The Director of Legal Services will provide advice to the Council and management on governance, corporate secretarial services, legal, regulatory and compliance matters. He/ She will render legal advice to the Chief Executive Officer for any legal actions to be initiated and /or defending the interest of the COG and advising on day to day legal matters.
Reporting to the Chief Executive Officer, the Director Legal Services will perform the following duties:
• Managing and coordinating the activities of the Legal Directorate;
• Implementation and monitoring of development partner programmes related to legal affairs.
• Ensuring preparation, and timely circulation of the Council minutes and Committee papers;
• Preparation of the directorate’s, and by extension the Committee work plan and ensuring its implementation;
• Preparing legal opinions, advisories and briefs and rehandling litigation matters relating to COG where necessary;
• Designing, where necessary, legal programmes for the Council;
• Ensuring compliance with laws, rules and regulations by the Council and Management;
• Vetting and drafting legal documents including contracts and leases;
• Liaising with external lawyers handling legal matters on behalf of COG;
• Liaising with other government agencies and civil society organizations on legal matters affecting County Governments;
• Rendering professional legal advice to the Chief Executive Officer and management for any legal action to be initiated and/ or defending the interests of the Council;
• Compilation of any required information, maintenance of documentation and periodically update the Chief Executive Officer (CEO) and the Legal and Human Rights Committee of the Council of Governors;
• Monitoring legal developments and trends in policies, bills, and serve as source of legal information internally and externally on behalf of the council;
• Reviewing and providing of feedback on legal aspects of all Committees of the Council of Governors;
• Ensure the Council of Governors Secretariat’s compliance with regulatory requirements such as annual submission of legal, financial and other mandatory reports;
• Convening and coordinating the Legal Directorate meetings;
• Supervision of the members of staff in the Legal Directorate;
• Provision of hands-on, practical and innovative guidance to the CoG legal Team;
• Perform such other duties as may be assigned by supervisor.
- Masters degree in Law from a recognized university
- A law degree from recognized University
• A minimum of Eight (8) years experience with at least 4 years at senior level management.
• Senior level engagement at National and County Government coordination with high level policy issues.
• Demonstrated capacity for complex policy formulation and stakeholder engagement, advocacy and resource mobilization.
• Knowledge of legislative and public finance issues, procedures and processes.
• Previous policy level work with relevant organizations in devolution.
• Demonstrated in-depth knowledge of the Constitution in the Devolution space in the Country and beyond.
• Be a Kenyan Citizen;
• An advocate of the high court of Kenya
• Hold a valid practicing certificate
• Member of the Law Society of Kenya
• Certificated Public Secretary qualifications
• Advance computer applications
• A member of the Institute of Certified Public Secretaries of Kenya
• Be compliant to the requirements of Chapter six (6) and the thirteen (13) of the Constitution of Kenya 2010.
- Fluency and ability to communicate in English and Swahili is required.
• Accountability – takes responsibility for action and manages constructive criticisms;
• Client Orientation – works effectively well with CoG clients and stakeholders;
• Continuous Learning – promotes continuous learning for self and others;
• Communication – listens and communicates clearly, adapting delivery to the audience;
• Creativity and Initiative – actively seeks new ways of improving programmes or services;
• Leadership and Negotiation – develops effective partnerships with internal and external stakeholders;
• Performance Management – identify ways and implements actions to improve performance of self and others;
• Planning and Organizing – plans work, anticipates risks, and sets goals within area of responsibility;
• Professionalism – displays mastery of subject matter;
• Teamwork – contributes to a collegial team environment; incorporates gender related needs, perspectives, and concerns and promotes equal gender participation;
• Technological Awareness – displays awareness of relevant technological solutions;
• Resource Mobilization- works with internal and external stakeholders to meet resource needs for the Council of Governors.
Duration of the assignment
The duration of the engagement will be three (3) years renewable subject to performance and availability of funds.
How to Apply
Interested persons should download and duly fill the COG EMPLOYMENT APPLICATION FORM and drop the duly completed form, CV with names and addresses of three referees, cover letter indicating clearly as application for the position of Director Legal Services in the subject, with current and expected remuneration, and a copy each for ID, certificates, relevant clearance certificates and testimonials.
The hard copy application in plain sealed envelope must be submitted and registered at the Council Offices, Delta Corner Towers- Westlands, Oracle Wing 2nd Floor, on or before 5:00 p.m. Friday 25th October, 2019 addressed as application for a position of the Director Legal Services to;
The Chief Executive Officer,
Council of Governors
P.O Box 40401-00100
Council of Governors is an equal opportunity Employer. Persons living with disabilities and Persons from marginalized areas are encouraged to apply. Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted. Canvassing in any form will lead to automatic disqualification.
For a detailed Job Description, please visit the Council Website; www.cog.go.ke
Relevant clearance certificates & documents
• A detailed CV
• Certified copies of academic certificates and National Identity card
• Certificates of admission to professional bodies
• Tax compliance Certificate from the Kenya Revenue Authority (KRA)
• Certificate of clearance from the Higher Education Loans Board (HELB)
• Certificate of Good Conduct from Directorate of Criminal Investigation (DCI)
• Clearance by the Ethics and Anti-Corruption Commission (EACC)
• Clearance with the Credit Reference Bureau (CRB)