- Company: United Nations Office at Nairobi (UNON)
- Location: Kenya
- State: Nairobi
- Job type: Full-Time
- Job category: Human Resource Management Jobs in Kenya
United Nations and regional organizations; provides administrative and other support services to the United Nations Environment Programme (UNEP) and the United Nations Human Settlements Programme (UN-Habitat); provides joint and common services to other organizations of the United Nations system in Kenya, as applicable; and manages and implements the programmes of administration, conference services and public information and provides security and safety services for United Nations staff and facilities in the United Nations Office at Nairobi.
The incumbent will work under the supervision of the Chief, Talent Development Unit, HRMS/UNON. Duties will include:
Design, develop, implement and evaluate learning:
- Contribute to the implementation of all aspects of training specific to UNEP, UNON, UN-Habitat, Africa-based RCO and UN Kenya
- Recommend to the Chief content and format and delivery mode of training packages to be used
- Participate in and contribute to training needs analysis and surveys to determine appropriate learning and development strategies/solutions
- Make recommendations on in-house staff and consultants to be used as facilitators/trainers in those parts of the programme falling under purview of this post and evaluating their performance
- Facilitate assigned training programmes, conducting retreats and workshops
- Assist the Chief in planning and coordinating the annual training calendar
- Assist in providing administrative and substantive support required for the delivery of training workshops, observe these workshops, compile course evaluations, summarize findings, and based on participants evaluation and observations, recommend changes to the programme
- Provide relevant background materials and statistics on training activities for inclusion in reports
- Contribute to the planning, design, production review and dissemination of relevant training handbooks and audiovisual materials, and promote online learning and other alternative methods for the delivery of learning, including on the topic of Performance Management
- Schedule training programs and supervise maintenance of database of staff participation
- Assign, coordinate and review the work of Training Assistant(s)
- Promote the services of the Unit. The Staff Development Officer will also provide back-up on occasions when Chief, Staff Development and Training Unit is unavailable.
- Assist the Chief in the administration and management of the learning budgets
- Perform other related duties as required.
- Participate in classification of positions in support of the larger Talent Management Center (HRMS).
- Manage and Execute pre-recruitment testing requests, including coordination, programming on the external database (UNOETS) and billing to clients.
- PROFESSIONALISM: Demonstrated professional competence and mastery of the subject and a professional approach to issues. Demonstrated ability in capacity development. Shows pride in work and in achievements; demonstrates professional competence and mastery of subject matter; is conscientious and efficient in meeting commitments, observing deadlines and achieving results; is motivated by professional rather than personal concerns; shows persistence when faced with difficult problems or challenges; remains calm in stressful situations. Takes responsibility for incorporating gender perspectives and ensuring the equal participation of women and men in all areas of work.
- PLANNING & ORGANIZING: Develops clear goals that are consistent with agreed strategies; identifies priority activities and assignments; adjusts priorities as required; allocates appropriate amount of time and resources for completing work; foresees risks and allows for contingencies when planning; monitors and adjusts plans and actions as necessary; uses time efficiently.
- CLIENT ORIENTATION: Considers all those to whom services are provided to be “clients” and seeks to see things from clients’ point of view; establishes and maintains productive partnerships with clients by gaining their trust and respect; identifies clients’ needs and matches them to appropriate solutions; monitors ongoing developments inside and outside the clients’ environment to keep informed and anticipate problems; keeps clients informed of progress or setbacks in projects; meets timeline for delivery of products or services to client.
- Advanced university degree (Master’s degree or equivalent) in organizational development, education, organizational psychology, Human Resources with training/learning emphasis or related field is required. A first-level university degree in combination with two additional years of qualifying experience may be accepted in lieu of the advanced university degree.
- A minimum of five years of progressively responsible experience, with emphasis on experience in a learning and development function is required.
- Experience supporting learners with a wide variety of backgrounds and nationalities is required.
- Experience in an international organization, UN or other large international organization is required.
- Experience in using collaboration technology and tools to support delivery of training, and designing, developing and delivering online training programmes is desirable.
- Experience in managing language training is desirable.
- Experience in job classification is desirable.
- Experience dealing with budgeting and billing in training is desirable.
- English and French are the working languages of the United Nations Secretariat. For the position advertised, fluency in English is required; and working knowledge of French is desirable.