Position Title : Information Management Officer
Duty Station : Nairobi, Kenya
Classification : Professional Staff, Grade P3
Type of Appointment : Fixed term, one year with possibility of extension
Estimated Start Date : As soon as possible
Closing Date : 07 April 2021
Established in 1951, IOM is a Related Organization of the United Nations, and as the leading UN agency in the field of migration, works closely with governmental, intergovernmental and non-governmental partners. IOM is dedicated to promoting humane and orderly migration for the benefit of all. It does so by providing services and advice to governments and migrants.
IOM is committed to a diverse and inclusive work environment. Read more about diversity and inclusion at IOM at www.iom.int/diversity .
Applications are welcome from first- and second-tier candidates, particularly qualified female candidates as well as applications from the non-represented member countries of IOM. For all IOM vacancies, applications from qualified and eligible first-tier candidates are considered before those of qualified and eligible second-tier candidates in the selection process.
For the purpose of this vacancy, the following are considered first-tier candidates:
- Internal candidates
- Candidates from the following non-represented member states:
Antigua and Barbuda; Botswana; Cabo Verde; Comoros; Cook Islands; Cuba; Fiji; Gabon; Guinea-Bissau; Guyana; Holy See; Iceland; Kingdom of Eswatini; Kiribati; Lao People’s Democratic Republic (the); Latvia; Luxembourg; Marshall Islands; Micronesia (Federated States of); Montenegro; Namibia; Nauru; Palau; Saint Kitts and Nevis; Saint Lucia; Saint Vincent and the Grenadines; Samoa; Sao Tome and Principe; Seychelles; Solomon Islands; Suriname; The Bahamas; Timor-Leste; Tonga; Tuvalu; Vanuatu
Second tier candidates include:
All external candidates, except candidates from non-represented member states.
Under the overall supervision of the Head of IOM Kenya Country Office and direct supervision of the Head of Mission Support and Innovation Unit, and in coordination with the Heads of Units in IOM Kenya Country Office, the successful candidate will provide support in the maintenance, analysis, expansion and development of the Country Office’s (CO) Information Management and Analysis System activities.
Core Functions / Responsibilities:
- Manage the Information Management Systems (IMS) Unit in safeguarding, designing, analysing, developing and maintaining the CO’s database system, modules and analysis.
- Coordinate the development and enhancement of the integrated methodology for data collection, information packaging and analysis as required.
- Conduct data analysis and produce statistical data reports on timely basis commensurate to the needs and demands of the CO; establish, strengthen and manage a common information management system for common context analysis, to inform and contribute to policy-making and other development programming.
- Supervise the IMS Unit’s staff by ensuring the data collection processes and overall data management activities, including encoding, storing and transferring data, as well as processing. Analyze data and information collected locally.
- Design effective information management workflows and reporting tools; ensure regular monitoring as per agreed timelines; prepare activities status and progress reports and contribute to the distribution and monitoring of information requested or compiled in the CO’s institutional memory.
- Lead and coordinate the design, mapping, assessment and monitoring activities of beneficiaries and communities across all Programs of the CO and ensure the timely preparation and generation of internal and external reports, information products, visibility materials and publications, as well as information sharing and dissemination to all relevant channels.
- Contribute to the development of project proposals having significance to research, data collection, management and training.
- Develop and conduct training modules and support the Database Assistants and field staff, including enumerators, in the use, maintenance and support of database system, data collection and analysis to ensure a smooth rollout.
- Supervise the IMS activities related to survey, assessment, and monitoring and evaluation activities.
- Manage and promote the use of GIS mapping by ensuring data collection has relevance to GIS coding.
- Support the advocacy functions of the CO through leading the collection, processing, storage and retrieval of documents.
- Coordinate the planning and implementation of the Rapid Assessment and Response Team (RART) Program and provide strategic supervision to the Technical Specialists of the program in collaboration with CO’s Senior Management.
- Support the HQ and the Regional Office in assessment, analyzing, development and implementation of the database system as requested. Develop and conduct training modules for the implementation of the information management mechanism in the CO to ensure a smooth rollout.
- Conduct field research and analysis as per the requirements of CO’s programmes.
- Manage the Displacement Tracking Matrix (DTM) / flow monitoring and range of other data assessment and analysis of the CO, contribute to the human mobility data and analysis, identify, recommend, develop, and support relevant methodological, operational and technological solutions relating to the DTM and implementation of other relevant tracking tools.
- Perform such other duties as may be assigned.
Required Qualifications and Experience:
• Master’s degree in Computer Science, Information Technology, Database Management, Software Development, Business Administration, Mathematics, Statistics or a related field from an accredited academic institution with five years of relevant professional experience; or
• University degree in the above fields with seven years of relevant professional experience.
• Experience in Information Management, emergency humanitarian operations; managementand coordination of information flows, data management including collection, storing, processing and analyzing data to generate information products;
• Extensive and proven experience in both quantitative and qualitative data analysis (e.g.: excel,
SSPS) and research analysis;
• Experience with handling confidential data; and,
• Experience in advanced data visualization and information design skills.
• Demonstrated ability for leadership in the context of partnership building and consensual decision-making;
• Demonstrated team-building and information management skills;
• Demonstrated understanding of different data collection methodologies;
• Knowledge and understanding of relational data theory;
• In-depth knowledge of the latest technological developments in information technology and information system;
• Proven skills to analyze statistical information;
• Ability to formulate IM-related technical requirements and Operating Procedures;
• Ability to translate planning-specifications into technical briefs for data capture and analysis, and vice versa; and,
• Ability to compile and holistically analyze diverse datasets.
IOM’s official languages are English, French, and Spanish.
For this position, fluency in English is required (oral and written). Working knowledge of French and/or Spanish is an advantage.
Proficiency of language(s) required will be specifically evaluated during the selection process, which may include written and/or oral assessments.
Accredited Universities are the ones listed in the UNESCO World Higher Education Database ( https://whed.net/home.php ).
Values – all IOM staff members must abide by and demonstrate these three values:
• Inclusion and respect for diversity: respects and promotes individual and cultural differences; encourages diversity and inclusion wherever possible.
• Integrity and transparency: maintains high ethical standards and acts in a manner consistent with organizational principles/rules and standards of conduct.
• Professionalism: demonstrates ability to work in a composed, competent and committed manner and exercises careful judgment in meeting day-to-day challenges.
Core Competencies – behavioural indicators level 2
• Teamwork: develops and promotes effective collaboration within and across units to achieve shared goals and optimize results.
• Delivering results: produces and delivers quality results in a service-oriented and timely manner; is action oriented and committed to achieving agreed outcomes.
• Managing and sharing knowledge: continuously seeks to learn, share knowledge and innovate.
• Accountability: takes ownership for achieving the Organization’s priorities and assumes responsibility for own action and delegated work.
• Communication: encourages and contributes to clear and open communication; explains complex matters in an informative, inspiring and motivational way.
Managerial Competencies – behavioural indicators level 2
• Leadership: provides a clear sense of direction, leads by example and demonstrates the ability to carry out the organization’s vision; assists others to realize and develop their potential.
• Empowering others & building trust: creates an atmosphere of trust and an enabling environment where staff can contribute their best and develop their potential.
• Strategic thinking and vision: works strategically to realize the Organization’s goals and communicates a clear strategic direction.
IOM’s competency framework can be found at this link.
Competencies will be assessed during a competency-based interview.
Internationally recruited professional staff are required to be mobile.
Any offer made to the candidate in relation to this vacancy notice is subject to funding confirmation.
This selection process may be used to staff similar positions in various duty stations. Recommended candidates endorsed by the Appointments and Postings Board will remain eligible to be appointed in a similar position for a period of 24 months.
The list of NMS countries above includes all IOM Member States which are non-represented in the Professional Category of staff members. For this staff category, candidates who are nationals of the duty station’s country cannot be considered eligible.
Appointment will be subject to certification that the candidate is medically fit for appointment, accreditation, any residency or visa requirements, and security clearances.
Vacancies close at 23:59 local time Geneva, Switzerland on the respective closing date. No late applications will be accepted.
How to Apply
Interested candidates are invited to submit their applications via PRISM, IOM e-Recruitment system, by 07 April 2021 at the latest, referring to this advertisement.
IOM only accepts duly completed applications submitted through the IOM e-Recruitment system. The online tool also allows candidates to track the status of their application.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
For further information please refer to: www.iom.int/recruitment
From 25.03.2021 to 07.04.2021
IOM does not charge a fee at any stage of its recruitment process (application, interview, processing, training or other fee). IOM does not request any information related to bank accounts.
Requisition: VN 2021 58 Information Management Officer (P3) Nairobi, Kenya (56908981) Released
Posting: Posting NC56908982 (56908982) Released