Librarian Job, Library Jobs 2021,
Purpose Of The Job
Provide support to library users by organizing, managing and disseminating information in the form of journals, periodicals and books as well as developing web pages and manage library materials databases.
General Library Duties
- Classifying, Cataloging and shelving all books and other information resources to ensure the library operates efficiently.
- Establish and implement library policies and procedures.
- Digitizing information sources.
- Handling enquiries from library users and provide necessary support in searching for library resources.
- Ensures appropriate usage of e-readers in 6 local schools and their maintenance and security.
- Training and guiding the activities of library personnel and volunteers, as needed.
- Performing a variety of circulation duties such as checking books and library materials
- Managing all library resources such as books, periodicals and journals.
- Maintaining a reading environment that is not only friendly but inviting.
- Managing facilities in the library with an aim of providing flexible access.
- Promoting a reading culture amongst students, RWMT beneficiaries, community members and facilitating reading clubs.
- Take part in documenting and managing the library budget.
- Managing access to information resources in computers.
- Preparing grants to obtain funding so as to expand resources in the library.
- Ensure the library’s collections include relevant print and digital resources for the polytechnic students, as well as the youths in the community.
- Supervising and maintain all ongoing and daily functions of the library media center including the use of electronic resources such as e-readers, software and hardware.
- Supervising library facilities and promoting a proper learning environment which stimulates and reinforces the student’s/ library users’ ease of access to information
- Informing users of new acquisitions.
- Maintains stacks neatly and in good order
- Preparing and providing statistical and other reports to library administration / training center manager as scheduled or requested.
- Evaluating books for bindery or mending in house.
- Perusing circulating materials to determine collection use, condition, and age.
- Carry out coordination of scheduling by promptly entering dates/times on a library instruction calendar.
- Advice the management on new library services that can be offered to ensure the library remains up to date and relevant and exceed the expectations of the library patrons.
Promoting Library Use
- Introduce book storytelling sessions and library games for children to develop their interest in reading.
- Initiate and coordinate the activities of the library Committee to provide assistance and feedback in regard to service, programs and collection needs.
- Understand library policies and procedures; accurately interpret them, and clearly and courteously communicates policies to patrons and staff as necessary
- Organize book clubs for polytechnic students, schools and community members to promote and sensitize the community to develop a reading culture.
- Serve as a consultant to teaching faculty in developing instructional programs that utilize the library’s resources
Maintenance of Equipment
- Implementation of RWMT /RTRC policies that are geared towards ensuring better security of inputs & assets.
- Ensure regular maintenance of equipment and assets within the library.
- Requesting library inputs from the inventory (and procurement) and allocating the same to library patrons/ users where need be.
- Reporting any damage caused and repairs needed in library.
- Locking and opening the library in the morning and evening.
- Providing recommendations that can improve security of the library and RWMT/ RTRC library equipment.
Programming & Reference Assistance
- Provide professional reference assistance and readers advisory to patrons, either in-person or electronically
- Develop and presents library programs in accordance with students, schools, community needs and interests.
- Provide technology instruction to patrons and staff in group and individual sessions especially for e-readers.
Other duties and responsibilities
- Any other duties and responsibilities assigned by the supervisor from time to time and which are geared towards achieving the overall goal of the organization.
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities
(The knowledge, skills and abilities may be required through a combination of formal schooling, self-education and prior experience or on-the-job-training).
- Level of education: Bachelor’s degree or Diploma in Library/Information
- Specialized Training / professional Qualifications
- Computer skills in Word, Excel and Access
- Records Management Training
- Data management packages
- Good communication and interpersonal skills
- Excellent organizational skills and attention to detail.
- Ability to work with both students and teachers as well as wider members of the community
- Knowledge of developmental, recreational and educational needs of young adults and children.
- Ability to translate young adult and children needs and interests into effective library services.
- Knowledge of current trends in library services for and with young adults and children.
- Knowledge of standard library procedures, current information technology, Internet and database search capabilities.
- At least One (1) years relevant experience in a similar position.
How To Apply
Interested candidates are requested to email the following to [email protected] by 24 th February 2021.
(1) Cover letter stating the position for which you are applying, along with current remuneration or last remuneration if currently not employed, (2) three paragraph motivation statement and why you feel you meet the requirements, (3) three references and (4) C.V.
IMPORTANT: All four (4) above mentioned steps must be followed. Applications not following all steps will automatically be disqualified. Only short-listed applicants will be contacted.
All applicants should bring a personal commitment to community development. Applicants should take time to reflect and make sure they resonate strongly with Rafiki wa Maendeleo Trust’s vision and mission before considering to apply.
Only those who can demonstrate all required competencies will be considered.N.B: Would you like us to consider you for a job opening? Boost your job search. . It's FREE