- Company: Shujaaz Inc
- Location: Kenya
- State: Nairobi
- Job type: Full-Time
- Job category: Business Development
Shujaaz Inc is a network of social ventures based in Nairobi and Dar Es’ Salaam. Their ventures inspire, entertain and mobilize 7.5 million 15-24-year-olds across East Africa. Their network connects young people with the information, skills and resources they need to take control; embedding them in a digital and real-world community that gives them the self-belief to succeed, in their context and on their terms.
We are Shujaaz Inc, a network of social ventures based in Nairobi, Kenya. Our social ventures inspire, entertain and mobilize 9.5m young people across East Africa, engaging 71% of 15-24-year-olds in Kenya, and 15% in Tanzania. Our Emmy-award winning team of 60 young East Africans run our three social ventures:
- Shujaaz, our multimedia youth platform and East-Africa’s biggest youth brand
- Hustla MBA, our innovative peer-to-peer training venture
- MESH , an online community for entrepreneurs, launched in beta in 2021
Our network connects young people with the information, skills and opportunities they need to take control; embedding them in a digital and real-world community that gives them the self-belief they need to succeed, in their context and on their terms.
Everything we do is grounded in research; our in-house research team, our unique GroundTruth research techniques ensure that we understand what’s really going on for young people in East Africa.
Since launching in 2009, we’ve proven that when young people take control of their lives, they create transformational change. Our network of social ventures creates internationally recognised impact; digital fans in our network earn $21 more a month and are 43% more likely to use condoms than non-fans. Similarly, urban teenage girls in our network are 2.4x more likely to delay childbirth, and 2.7x less likely to marry in their teens than non-fans.
Our double Emmy Award Winning multi-media youth platform Shujaaz, is East Africa’s biggest youth brand and it sits at the heart of our network.
We set up our multi-media youth platform Shujaaz, our namesake and our first venture, in 2009. Today, Shujaaz has 7.3 million comic book readers, 4.4 million social media followers and receives over 60,000 SMS messages every month.
Shujaaz is the product of 10 years of successful partnerships with like-minded organisations around the world who share our belief that this generation of young people can transform society for the better. Together, we’ve co-created barrier-breaking solutions to some of the globe’s most intractable challenges. These partners range from international foundations such as The Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation and The Ikea Foundation to government institutions such as USAID and FCDO to corporates such as Unilever, Google and Coca-Cola.
About the Role
We are seeking to appoint a proactive Business Development Manager , to join our mission- driven team from early 2022. The role will largely work virtually based on our hybrid working model and we are open to flexible and part-time working.
The Business Development Manager will work closely with the Managing Director, our Head of Partnerships & Programmes and our senior leadership team, to help us to establish partnerships with like-minded organisations around the world and to help design and shape our barrier-breaking national media programmes.
This is a new role in our team and the Business Development Manager will play a critical role in helping us to deliver Shujaaz Inc’s ambitious strategy for growth and impact.
The Business Development Manager will have the opportunity to design, develop and implement a business development strategy that opens-up strategic new business opportunities among donor, development and commercial partners. They will then be responsible for coordinating all new business development activities in collaboration with internal stakeholders, resulting in the successful achievement of revenue targets.
Reporting to the Managing Director, responsibilities will include:
- Supporting the Group CEO, MD and senior leadership team to ensure seamless, proactive and on-going Business Development
- Coordinating the development of clear, nuanced and targeted new business development offers and strategies for Shujaaz
- Researching and identifying strategic new target partners and growth opportunities and ensure these are central to the design of Shujaaz communications and activities
- Supporting the Head of Partnerships & Programmes on strengthening and expanding existing strategic partnerships and networks
- Leading and coordinating the development of all funding and business proposals
Who you are
This is a new role and the first time we will be recruiting a full-time role for business development. We’re looking to work with someone with the experience and confidence to drive this critical part of our business.
We seek an individual with the below skills and attributes:
- Commitment to driving social change, and alignment to our organisational values
- At least 2-3 years’ experience working in a business development and fundraising capacity with international development and/ or business organisations and successful track record of securing multiple high-value contracts from donors / foundations
- Demonstrated experience writing proposals for international business and development audiences
- Significant experience in all areas of new business development including strategy, forging partnerships, project design, logframe development, writing complex technical & narrative proposals and budget development
- Evidence of strong copywriting skills, confidence developing high-quality written concept notes and proposals
- A proven understanding of international business processes and psychology
- Understanding of the development sector globally and in East Africa; specific understanding of some or all of the following sectors will be an added advantage: livelihoods & entrepreneurship, sexual and reproductive health, governance and climate change
- Evidence of excellent project and relationship management skills, and the ability to co-ordinate with multiple external and internal stakeholders
- Professional, enthusiastic, entrepreneurial, ‘can do’ attitude
- Ability to work effectively in a team and individually, at pace and across multiple different projects concurrently