- Company: International Rescue Committee (IRC)
- Location: Kenya
- State: Nairobi
- Job type: Full-Time
- Job category: - Healthcare/Medical Jobs in KenyaInternational Rescue Committee (IRC) Jobs in Kenya
The International Rescue Committee is a global humanitarian aid, relief and development nongovernmental organization.
Working under the guidance of the Clinical Services Manager Offer ophthalmology care to patients accessing the hospital facility at Kakuma Hospital.
- Provision of ophthalmology consultations for patient accessing the camp hospital from both the refugee and host community
- Assessing eye acuity and prescription of eyeglasses for clients at the ophthalmology clinic.
- Perform Eye Cataract surgery on an elective basis and during periodic cataract camps organized by the organization.
- Accurately determining patients with conditions that require senior review and appropriately refer emergency cases within 24 hours and elective cases within acceptable time.
- Participate as a team leader during campaigns in the camp aimed at creating awareness on various eye conditions of public health importance e.g. trachoma, cataracts.
- Assist with OPD consultations.
- Organize regular on-the-job training sessions for the camp hospital staff in coordination with your supervisor and/or Clinical Services Manager.
- Carry out other relevant duties as may be assigned by the super visor- Clinical Services Manager.
- Monitoring and supervision of staff at the ophthalmology clinic to ensure work is done efficiently.
- Conduct regular on job training for incentive staff working in the clinic.
- Routinely measure staffs work performance based on their job description.
Communication and Reporting
- Generate weekly reports on activities taking place at the clinic and various challenges to be shared with the supervisor every week.
- Proper documentation of patients who require tertiary care and hence generate waiting list of clients that may necessitate a cataract or trachoma camp.
- Proper inventory management of ophthalmology supplies and equipment at the clinic
- Work closely with the pharmacist and supervisor to ensure ophthalmic drugs and supplies are ordered on time to avoid stock-outs.
- Participate in annual program planning and recommend budget revisions with focus on key areas of concern.
- Ensure program supplies are used appropriately for the targeted beneficiaries.
Key Result Areas:
- Proper identification and timely attendance to emergency cases to avoid visual loss.
- Performing visual acuity test for different clients with proper prescription of eyeglasses.
- Identification of cataract cases with proper intervention at the camp level.
- Proper coordination of trachoma and cataract camps organized at the camp level to ensure reach to most beneficiaries.
- Higher Diploma in Ophthalmology from KMTC or any other reputable institution.
Required Experience & Competencies:
- At least two years’ experience working in a busy ophthalmology unit.
- Computer literate
- Team player and cultural sensitivity is required.
- Ability to work in hardship areas (Previous experience in a Camp setting will be an added advantage).
- Fluency in Turkana/Somali will be an added advantage
- Female candidates are encouraged to apply.