- Company: Medecins Sans Frontieres (MSF)
- Location: Kenya
- State: Nairobi
- Job type: Full-Time
- Job category: Administrative/Secretarial Jobs in Kenya
MÃ©decins sans frontiÃ¨res (MSF) or Doctors Without Borders, is an international humanitarian-aid non-governmental organization (NGO) and Nobel Peace Prize laureate, best known for its projects in war-torn regions and developing countries facing endemic diseases.
(BASED IN ANY MSF-OCBA HUB)
- Full Time
Médecins Sans Frontières is an international independent medical-humanitarian organization, which offers assistance to populations in distress, to victims of natural or man-made disasters and to victims of armed conflict, without discrimination and irrespective of race, religion, creed or political affiliation.
MSF is a civil society initiative that brings together individuals committed to the assistance of other human beings in crisis. As such MSF is by choice an association. Each individual working with MSF does it out of conviction and is ready to uphold the values and principles of MSF.
The MSF movement is built around five operational directorates supported by MSF’s 21 sections, 24 associations and other offices together worldwide. MSF OCBA is one of those directorates. The operations are implemented by field teams and the mission coordination teams; together with the organizational units based in Barcelona, Athens and decentralised in Nairobi, Dakar and Amman. The field operations are guided and supported by 5 Operational Cells, the Emergency Unit and other departments supporting operations.
The Deputy Director of Operations assists the Director of Operations (DO) in overseeing the implementation of all MSF OCBA activities in the field, setting overall operational ambition and strategy, ensuring respect for humanitarian principles and medical ethic as well as the safety and security of MSF programmes and personnel. S/he ensures active collaboration between the Operations- and support departments.
The Deputy-director of Operations, directly reporting to the Operations Director, supports, represents and, when needed, replaces the Operations Director in overall management and direction of the department, ensuring the application of the organisation’s strategic plan as well as its deontological orientations.
POSITION WITHIN THE ORGANIZATION
- Reports to the Director of Operations.
- Line manages the Operations Learning Referent and the Knowledge Management Projects Manager.
- Responsible of interaction with HR and Log departments
- Is a member of the management team and core MT of the section
OBJECTIVES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
The Deputy Director, in accordance with his/her competences and complementary attributes towards the Director, has the following main responsibilities. These will be nuanced according to the full structure of the direction of operations team.
Objective of the position
- To support, advice and/or replace the Director of Operations in executive and delegated tasks regarding OCBA field operations.
- To safeguard, promote and enhance security and crisis management expertise and capacity within OCBA.
- To liaise with other parts/departments of the organisation on matters relevant for Operations (Logistical and Human resources).
- Prepares decision making in tactical issues regarding operations (e.g. project programs, start and termination of projects, security, and advocacy); judges different alternatives and advises on decisions to take.
- Cooperates in the development of the annual plan: gives input and advice to the DO regarding alternatives, direction and prioritization.
- Conceives and takes up operational projects or dossiers
- Acts as sparring partner for the DO for all issues related to policy development and field operations.
- Participates in and/or leads various internal working groups.
- Ensures alignment and monitors and promotes adequate co-operation between (field) operations and support departments, and operational platforms and head of services of support departments
- Participates in conception, preparation and imparting of training sessions, coordinators week organized by MSF.
- Participates in and helps guide strategic debates within the Organisation.
- Promotes and maintains relations with other MSF sections and Humanitarian Agencies on an operational level, representing MSF OCBA both nationally and internationally.
- We are looking for a candidate with strong operational experience with MSF (or a comparable organisation).
- The candidate will have a strong sense of the MSF mission with an ability to contribute to strategic operational and medical challenges and opportunities, translating these into operational policies and practice.
- S/he demonstrates strong skills in management and leadership and has proven capabilities to lead and direct people of various disciplines and cultural backgrounds across multiple time-zones and locations.
- S/he will be an innovator and a coach who subscribes to a field-driven organisation, has good communication skills and is able to function well in a multifunctional global management team.
- English is mandatory and fluency in French is highly desirable
- Full adherence and commitment to the principles, values and goals of MSF is required
CONDITIONS & DEMANDS:
- Location: based in any OCBA hub; MSF-Spain offices or Amman, Nairobi, Dakar, Buenos Aires.
- Full availability to travel at any time to any part of the world.
- Minimum of 3-year moral commitment, with a maximum term of 6 years.
- Annual gross salary: HQ-7A (divided in 12 monthly payments) + secondary benefits, based on MSF OCBA Reward Policy.
- Starting date: August 2021 (with a certain flexibility).