Evidence to Action Manager Jobs,
Job Title Evidence to Action Manager Probation Period 3 months,
Location Nairobi No. of Direct Reports 2,
Reporting to Technical Services Director Budget,
Responsibilities (Y/N) Y,
Marie Stopes Kenya (MSK) has been operational in Kenya for 35 years. It is the largest provider of family planning services in Kenya and offers life-saving and life-enhancing services to men and women of all ages through a range or sexual and reproductive health service through its own clinic outlets, a network of franchise outlets branded Amua, and the marketing of RH commodities. In addition, MSK has an MCH 24 bed nursing home in Nairobi.
MSK seeks to recruit Evidence to Action Manager reporting to the Technical Services Director.
The role is to ensure that data is leveraged for informing, adapting, and strengthening programme delivery. The role will span a wide spectrum of research, monitoring and evaluation (RME) responsibilities including ensuring that adequate systems and processes are in place for robust and high-quality data collection; evaluation and learning opportunities are embedded across all operational channels; and that all research, monitoring and evaluation activities (including ethics and accuracy) are of high quality and meet Marie Stopes International standards. The E2A manager will also ensure that the E2A department generates accurate evidence that is relevant and timely, and feeds into and supports the organizations strategic roadmap.
Overall team management: oversee E2A’s core functions (20%)
- Oversight of all data collection, compilation and analysis for use by all channels, Marketing and Commercial teams
- Oversee research and RME budget and activities
- Lead on technical training and support to E2A team
- Develop and lead an empowered and motivated E2A team
Programme learning: ensuring evidence and insights lead to programme learning and adaptation relevant for strategy (20%)
- Ensures that lessons learned from routine data analysis, strategic research, and insight generated from the E2A team are shared and used by senior staff, in order to make better management decisions
- Support business development for new funding opportunity through highlighting data Evidence to Action Manager and best practices; ensuring proposals have evidence-based theory of changes; develop and review log frame indicators
- Support integration of evidence into programming through targeted capacity strengthening activities
Insight gathering: oversight of all data collection, compilation and analysis for use by operations and marketing, and other departments (30%)
- Lead on developing, adapting, and deploying tools for gathering operational insights – for example undertaking or supporting RME team to undertake analysis of routine data; gathering “rapid insights” with clients and providers to help identify new products or services; conducting advanced analysis or modelling of internal data to evaluate the impact of specific interventions.
- Develop and encourage innovation in data collection including feedback mechanisms amongst Program Operations team to address internal and external stakeholder’s information needs
- Provide technical support to RME team to enable operations colleagues to be able to access, use and interpret data emerging from during routine data
- Provide training when appropriate to channel leads, directors and other staff on info needs analysis and methodologies for collection
- Ensure that standard MSI tools (exit interviews, Mystery Client Surveys, Impact 2, etc.) are used when and where appropriate
- Track MSK global indicators to feed into RME activities
- Oversee the Support RME team to manage management information systems (MIS), with an eye to maintain high data quality
- Support all programme leaders in planning effectively for their RME needs
Strategic research: develop and deliver on strategic research priorities for safe abortion and family planning work with operations and marketing departments and position MSK as a leader in SRH programming (30%)
- Develop strategic research priorities for sexual and reproductive health services work with Programmes and Marketing teams and conduct research which furthers strategic effectiveness of MKS’s operations (e.g. reaching adolescents with SRH services; trends in private sector services; impact of county devolution on SRH services, etc.)
- Together with E2A team, and operations, develop plans for how RM&E work feeds into MSK’s overall strategy, during annual strategic planning
- Deliver against evaluation needs as required by grant contracts including leading procurement and management of additional help (research agencies, consultants, enumerators etc) in a timely way, as required
- Design robust evaluations (quantitative or qualitative) and undertake analysis, as needed, in order to meet project needs
- Ensure the all work by own team and external consultants meets MSI standards for effective and ethically sound research (e.g. use of underage informants, gender balance, confidentiality, SEA standards etc).
- Develop and strengthen research and learning partnerships in Kennya and within MSI (e.g. with Track2020 in Kenya; Collaborate with regional and global research partners), including participation in external conferences and meetings, as appropriate
Knowledge skills and attitude
- University degree in Epidemiology / Biostatistics, Social Science, Economics, Development Studies or relevant discipline from a recognized reputable university
- Post graduate qualification in social sciences, health systems management, monitoring & evaluation or other relevant qualification is highly desirable.
Skills and Experience
- Significant experience in the research, monitoring and evaluation field, preferably in the NGO sector.
- Experience managing a team and/or portfolio of projects, including large studies in health or economics
- Experience working in an implementation-focused organization
- Experience working in externally facing roles (e.g. with donors or clients) is desirable
Attitude / Motivation
Thinking ahead and taking action to make the most of opportunities by finding the optimum solution
Thinking creatively and outside of the box so that ideas generated create a positive outcome
- Effective Communication
Communicating through active listening and good questioning techniques, using appropriate body language, ensuring information is clear and concise.
Being responsive to changing priorities and demands
- Working Efficiently
Planning, prioritising and organising work to ensure work is accurate and deadlines are met
- Sharing Information
Sharing information and knowledge whilst maintaining confidentiality
- Focus on Learning
Taking responsibility for keeping knowledge and skills updated and for seeking opportunities to develop further
Awareness and understanding of goals, vision and values and how your role impacts on this and going the extra mile to meet role requirements
Drive and determination to deliver results
Taking responsibility for appropriate decisions that you make, and the actions and behaviour you demonstrate
- Embracing Change
Openness to embracing change within the organisation and being able to adjust plans/activities accordingly
Motivation towards achieving quality results to maximise potential
- Team Player
Working as part of a team by being supportive, flexible and showing respect for each other
How to Apply
Suitable and qualified candidates should email one document combining an application letter and CV to [email protected] on or before 3rd July, 2020. The subject of the email should read Evidence to Action Manager. Do not attach certificates and testimonials. Marie Stopes Kenya is an equal opportunity employer and does not ask for fees at any stage of the recruitment process. Successful candidates must abide by MSI’s Antifraud & Bribery Policy and Safeguarding Policy, including protection of children and vulnerable adults. Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.