- With predominant focus on the Global Comprehensive Abortion Care Initiative (GCACI), this consultant will be responsible for providing technical support to Member Associations (MAs) on abortion and contraceptive programming, mainly the GCACI MAs (Benin, Burkina Faso, Cameroon, Cote d’Ivoire, DRC, Ethiopia, Guinea, Togo and Uganda).
Under the direct supervision of the Senior Technical Advisor GCACI, they will:
- Coordinate the implementation of the GCACI programme in the IPPF Africa Region
- Provide project and program management oversight and ensuring day-to-day support and coordination, quality improvement strategies, as well as internal and external coordination
- Coordinate and participate in programme and organizational management and regular monitoring and documentation of IPPF’s overall abortion programme, and its contribution to the IPPF Strategic Framework (2016-2022)
- Be accountable for the achievements of the IPPFAR GCACI project’s expected results as provided for in any relevant/approved restricted funding project documents
- Support Programs department and/or other ARO departments as assigned by line manager and/or HoD
- Actively engage in all phases of the GCACI project cycle (design, implementation, monitoring, evaluation, and reporting)
- Provide technical backstopping, capacity building and support to IPPF Member Associations
- to achieve project specific objectives
- Proactively engage in identifying and implementing innovative strategies to support achievement of project objectives
- Compile and analyze relevant documentation, reports, work plans, project proposals and correspondence relating to assigned technical areas
- Analyze service statistics and client data to identify and monitor trends in performance and use data to inform decision-making for improved programme performance
- Monitor, supervise and report on budgets and activity implementation status for timely implementation of project work plans
- Support the provision of timely administrative, logistics and financial support to the implementing MAs in collaboration with other GCACI team members and other departments within the Regional and Central Offices, as necessary Reporting
- Actively engage with other GCACI team members to ensure timely submission of high-quality progress reports to the donor
- Assist in the preparation and compilation of project briefs/updates/summaries/service statistics trends for internal and external audiences Documentation
- Assist in documentation of case studies, promising practices and lessons learned
- Assist in the development of presentations, articles, abstracts for submission to internal and external audiences and disseminate the same, as/when required
- Collaborate with the GCACI team and other departments at ARO in the dissemination of lessons learnt and best practices from the GCACI project internally and externally, which will contribute to the Office knowledge management
- Monitor news, trends and policy developments affecting the key project outputs and develop /adapt advocacy materials and tools to keep main actors informed •
- Help organize and participate in relevant regional/international meetings To build and maintain positive working relationships
- To build and maintain positive relationships with all members of staff, and contacts within and outside the Regional Office
- To undertake any other reasonable duties as may be requested from time to time, including duties in support of broader priorities of the Programme and Technical Support Department at the regional office.
EDUCATION & QUALIFICATIONS
- Master’s Degree in Public Health, Health Services Management, Reproductive Health, Social Sciences, Project Management, or other related areas. 4.
PROFESSIONAL EXPERIENCE •
- Strong experience in a similar position •
- Experience in managing multi-country comprehensive SRH service delivery programmes/projects in Africa •
- Specific experience in managing projects that address the provision of abortion care and contraception •
- Experience in working with several donors •
- Projects implementation experience with international NGOs preferred. •
- Experience in remote programs management and working through partners. •
- Experience in effective management of budgets in line with donor requirements.
- Please describe the skills which will be applied in the post, including languages •
- Excellent project management skills •
- Strong analytical skills, including data analysis •
- Excellent relationship and team management skills •
- Strong written communication skills required to write a variety of documents •
- Planning and organizational skills •
- Proven ability to lead, coordinate, and develop direct reports •
- Excellent oral communication and interpersonal, with ability to persuade and influence others •
- Proactive approaches and problem-solving skills •
- Ability to work independently and as a team member •
- Excellent time management skills to meet tight deadlines •
- Proficiency in MS Suite of packages •
- English and French are the working languages of IPPFARO. For this post, fluency in English (both oral and written) is required. Working knowledge of French is highly desirable.
PERSONAL COMPETENCIES PROFESSIONALISM •
- Knowledge and experience of working with International Non-Governmental Organization.
- Knowledge of Sexual and reproductive health and rights (SRHR) ecosystem with a global health and service provision context.
- Knowledge of the region and/or country project in the region as per IPPF delimitation, including the political, economic, and social dimensions
- Deep knowledge in designing, implementing, monitoring, and evaluating community-based interventions with donor organizations working in the health sector.
- Technical expertise in integrated sexual & reproductive health, and other SRH/FP services.
- Ability to identify and to formulate conclusions/recommendations to resolve a wide range of issues/problems
- Ability to relate SRH issues and perspectives, including Adolescent and Youth, Gender, and inclusiveness issues, to human rights Programmes
- Allocates appropriate amount of time and other resources for completing work
- Shows pride in work and in achievements; is conscientious and efficient in meeting commitments, observing deadlines and achieving results; is motivated by professional rather than personal concerns; shows persistence when faced with difficult problems or challenges; remains calm in stressful situations.
- Works collaboratively with colleagues to achieve organizational goals
- A team player, and willing to learn from others
- Places organizational and team agenda before personal agenda
- Works independently and as a team member
- Supports and acts in accordance with the final team-decision, even when such decisions may not entirely reflect own position
- Shares credit for team accomplishments and accepts joint responsibility for team shortcomings.
- Speaks and writes clearly and effectively
- Listens to others, correctly interprets messages from others and responds appropriately
- Asks questions to clarify, and exhibits interest in having two-way communication
- Tailors language, tone, style and format to match audience.
- Demonstrates openness in sharing information and keeping people informed.
- Proven ability to make presentations on results and products to small and large groups
PLANNING AND ORGANIZING:
- Develops clear goals that are consistent with agreed strategies; identifies priority activities and assignments; adjusts priorities as required; allocates appropriate amount of time and resources for completing work; foresees risks and allows for contingencies when planning; monitors and adjusts plans and actions as necessary; uses time efficiently.
- Takes ownership of all responsibilities and honors commitments
- Deep skills in program and project management and planning to fulfil performance objectives, including the timely implementation and reporting of donor-funded program activities.
- Delivers outputs for which one has responsibility within prescribed time, cost, and quality standards
- Works on multiple deliverables simultaneously, independently and meet deadlines without compromising quality
- Strong report writing and presentation skills
- Operates in compliance with organizational regulations and rules
- Takes personal responsibility for his/her own shortcomings and those of the work unit, where applicable.
- Subscribe to IPPF’s Mission, Vision, and Values
- Embrace working in a multicultural environment
- Ability to maintain high level of confidentiality
- Willingness to travel
- Focus on continuous improved results/performance
- Flexibility and willingness to work outside normal working hours considering different time zones
How to Apply
For more details on the job description and on how to apply please visit https://www.ippfar.org/jobs
IPPF offers a wide range of benefits and is an equal opportunity employer.
Applications are particularly encouraged from women, people living with disabilities, people living with HIV and minorities.