- Company: African Entrepreneur Collective (AEC)
- Location: Kenya
- State: Nairobi
- Job type: Full-Time
- Job category: Finance Jobs in Kenya
Finance and Investment Strategy
- Serve as a partner to CEO/COO founders and Board, leading highly experienced executives on the finance and leadership teams to formulate short and long-term financial strategies in accordance with organizational-level strategies and goals.
- Develop financial model(s) including multi-year forecasts to ensure the company meets its strategic goals while maintaining long-term financial health.
- Lead financial benchmarking exercises to ensure the company continues to adopt best practices for efficiency and effectiveness
- Participating in company policy development as a member of the Leadership Team, and leading company policy related to all financial matters.
- Work closely with the Senior Leadership to provide strategic financial analysis across all functions of the organization and provide advice to support modeling and program-related decisions as the organization continues to rapidly scale.
- Drive alignment with the finance and audit committees of the Board of Directors with long-term financial plans and projections, investment policies, and a governance structure that ensures fiscal compliance in alignment with AEC by-laws.
- Responsible for the company’s financial condition; decide how to invest the company’s assets in consultation with the Board, taking into consideration return, risk and liquidity. Oversee and determine the capital structure of the company.
- Engage with strategic partners and represent the company in financial and business conversations.
Finance Operations & Reporting
- Have overall financial management responsibility including the review and approval of monthly, quarterly, and annual financial reporting materials and metrics for the CEO/COO and Board of Directors.
- Develop processes and relationships across the organization to ensure budget buy-in and compliance by all functions.
- Partner with the Senior Leadership to evolve the finance function as the organization grows and scales; understand the infrastructure and system requirements at both the country and regional levels.
- Enforcing sound business and financial systems policies, procedures and internal controls; ensuring the accuracy of accounting and financial procedures while remaining compliant with global nonprofit best practices and all local requirements in the multiple countries of AEC’s operations.
- Plan, implement, and manage all internal and external financial reporting and compliance activities of AEC, including financial audits, tax & legal compliance, business planning, budgeting, forecasting and investor and donor reporting.
- Construct and monitor reliable control systems and ensure that record keeping meets the requirements of different stakeholders; ensure compliance with all regulatory tax laws and company policies in each of AEC’s countries of operation.
- Ensure timeliness, accuracy, and completeness of financial and management reporting for, management, donors and AEC’s board of directors; oversee the preparation and communication of monthly, quarterly and annual financial reports.
Risk Management & Compliance
- Develop a deep and detailed understanding of business, strategy and culture. Be a trusted business partner and guide the organization to take the appropriate amount of risk and build a healthy risk culture.
- Identify, manage and mitigate business risks and those related to enterprise risk management, reporting on them and maintaining adequate internal controls to mitigate risks at AEC
- Responsible for ensuring the risk and compliance management framework is embedded and operational.
- Ensure compliance with accounting regulations and financial reporting mandates and be involved in various non-financial strategic decisions.
- Develop and implement policies and procedures to minimize operational risks and maximize return on investment
Leadership and Team Development
- Promote and foster a culture of professional growth of a highly-qualified team of finance professionals through effective feedback, succession planning, coaching, and professional development in alignment with AEC’s values and belief in inclusion; contribute to further building the finance team and designing its structure to support scale.
- Conceptualizes and analyzes problems and solutions in a constructive, collaborative manner. This leader’s ability to leverage the expertise of the staff and hone the organizational systems and processes will be key to success.
- Provide strategic leadership to the finance department. Set goals, develop strategies, and ensure the strategies are executed effectively.
- Establish a rhythm of frequent and highly proactively communication with the senior leadership to facilitate seamless operations and effective thought leadership; articulate concepts to both finance and non-finance audiences.
- Create, implement and maintain a continuous improvement and control plan for overall business operations, while supporting the finance team to meet business needs.
- Foster a culture of transparency and accountability in the finance department and across the organization.
A successful candidate will be a CFO with a proven track record of leading and managing global finance teams within dynamic, medium-sized, growth-stage organizations with multiple revenue streams. The CFO position is a new one for AEC, and will come with a vision for financial growth for the company and its financial operations. The CFO will be strategic, and also willing to roll up her/his sleeves.
A successful candidate will clearly demonstrate :
- 15+ years of progressively responsible financial management experience in a fast-growing organization with at least 5 years in an executive leadership position.
- Previous experience leading and managing finance strategy and operations across multiple countries, reporting to the CEO or Board of Directors.
- Significant experience in project planning, budgeting fund and grant accounting, compliance, and reporting; fluency with complex bi-lateral funding agency reporting requirements preferred.
- Previous experience managing banking finance is preferred.
- Adept at presenting financial information to leadership, the CFO possesses strong quantitative and analytical skills.
- High energy, maturity, and leadership with the ability to serve as a unifying force and to position financial discussions at both the strategic and tactical levels.
- Excellent interpersonal, leadership, and communication skills – approachable, honest, transparent, and able to build relationships with consensus and inclusion. Must have a listening ear and be able to empower
- Strong business acumen with an adaptive thinking and a growth mindset. Must be detail, action, and results oriented
- Sincere commitment and skills to work inclusively with diverse groups
- Strong preference for CPA. Any other professional qualification is a plus as well
- MBA or other advanced degree required
- Ability to travel locally, regionally, and internationally with limited advanced notice
- Experience in East Africa will be an added advantage
- Must have a passion for AEC’s mission to impact communities
What You’ll Get
GREAT CULTURE & TEAM
- Fun, collaborative work environment
- Opportunity to work with a talented, passionate, and committed team of professionals
- Challenging work and the opportunity to grow and develop your skills
- Ability to make a significant social impact and contribute to economic growth