- As a member of the Senior Management Team (SMT), the post holder is to;
- Lead and ensure that Operations (comprising ARO Finance, Procurement, and Information Technology (with dotted line on HR and Administration) are in line with IPPF’s Strategic Framework and support a high performing, accountable and united Federation;
- Develop and ensure implementation and compliance of procedures and policies for operational efficiency;
- Advise the RD on all Procurement, financial and Information Technology matters and provide the RD with relevant and timely information to enable the RD to discharge financial responsibilities;
- Ensuring that payroll is prepared in adherence to IPPF Staff Handbook provisions
- Ensure that audit results, including those for projects managed by ARO, inform long term Secretariat capacity building in the area of financial management;
- Responsible for the Finance team, the Procurement team and Information Technology team at the Africa Regional Office (ARO) and ensure that ARO Finance, Procurement, HR (with dotted line) and Technology teams provides a high-quality, business-focused services to ARO stakeholders as appropriate;
- Has overall responsibility to ensuring that the Africa Regional Office complies with Kenyan regulatory requirements across Finance, ICT and HR & Administration (with dotted line) including Health and Safety;
- Ensure that the federation’s safeguarding policies are fully adhered to in the IPPF Africa Region
KEY TASKS PERSON SPECIFICATION
- Ensure that the statutory annual accounts for ARO are prepared and submitted to the relevant Authorities on a timely basis;
- Lead the use and development of the ERP system; monitors entries and results:
- Prepare the office annual budget and monitors expenditure;
- Prepare monthly report of accounts;
- Oversee the preparation, finalization of payroll and payment of salaries;
- Provide direction and leadership to the Operations Team ensuring an effective, modern and cost-effective services to ARO that benefits from economies of scale;
- Provide support to the delivery of the ambitious growth of income, in collaboration with colleagues from Programmes and External Relations and Advocacy departments;
- Provide financial planning forecasts in terms of resource allocation, income and expenditure for ARO. To lead on the development of ARO’s business plans;
- Review and analyse management and statutory reports and provide a commentary on the results for the SMT and volunteer committees. To be responsible for the relationship with the relevant Statutory Authorities and External Auditors ensuring that ARO is correctly meeting its obligations under current Kenyan legislation;
- Oversee the operation and monitoring of a system of budgetary control for the Regional and field offices;
- Ensure that accounting systems are responsive to the changing needs and requirements of ARO as well as donors and other third parties;
- Ensure the production of quality financial reports and the compilation of financial management information for the RD, for Regional consideration and other key meetings and participants;
- In collaboration with Central Office Director, Operations and Financial Controller, to ensure effective bank relationships and to negotiate and establish with bankers’ preferential interest rates with regard to agreed lines of credit for ARO;
- Identify and ensure corrective action is taken on problem areas which affect the reporting between field/regional offices and Central Office Units. Visit field/regional offices as necessary;
- In collaboration with Central Office Financial Controller, ensure a comprehensive pension provision for ARO;
- In collaboration with CO Financial Controller, oversee a comprehensive insurance provision for ARO; Procurement
- Oversee the functions and responsibilities of the procurement Unit;
- Ensure adherence to the Organisation’s procurement policies, rules, regulations, practises as well as donor requirements; • Ensure the procurement goals are to achieve value for money for the organisation Safeguarding
- Ensure that IPPF ARO has a risk management strategy and that risks are managed effectively by all staff and that the risk register is maintained and regularly updated and reported
- To lead, to be responsible and accountable for the ARO’s office prevention, detection, management and reporting of fraud and safeguarding matters; Member Associations
- To ensure that financial risks related to restricted and unrestricted funds in MAs are identified and appropriate actions timely taken;
- To lead the financial capacity building of member associations Human Resources & Administration
- Provide support to the Head of RDO in managing HR and administration.;
- Ensure HR compliance with policies and procedures
- Develop and roll out Financial and HR policies and SOPs in compliance with IPPF rules and regulations in close collaboration with the People, culture, organisational development and administration manager Information Communication & Technology
- Ensure effective implementation of all Kenyan Data Protection Regulations as it affects ARO. Ensure the security and protection of ARO Data and information;
- Ensure IPPF Regional Office and Sub-offices have appropriate information and communication technology (ICT) systems;
- Ensure IPPF Regional Office and Sub-offices have appropriate information and communication technology (ICT) systems,
- Oversee and support the development of ICT and infrastructure at ARO to facilitate efficient communication between ARO staff and stakeholders;
- Provide leadership in monitoring the appropriate use of the infrastructure and equipment in the ARO office;
- Provide leadership in the proper use and management of the ERP system;
- Undertake any other duties as requested by supervisor
- Knowledge of (related field). Demonstrates professional competence and mastery of subject matter; is conscientious and efficient in meeting commitments, observing deadlines and achieving results; is motivated by professional rather than personal concerns. Takes responsibility for incorporating gender perspectives and ensuring the equal participation of women and men in all areas of work.
- Works collaboratively with colleagues to achieve organizational goals; solicits input by genuinely valuing others’ ideas and expertise; is willing to learn from others; places team agenda before personal agenda; supports and acts in accordance with final group decision, even when such decisions may not entirely reflect own position; shares credit for team accomplishments and accepts joint responsibility for team shortcomings. PLANNING & ORGANIZING: Develops clear goals that are consistent with agreed strategies; identifies priority activities and assignments; adjusts priorities as required; allocates appropriate amount of time and resources for completing work; foresees risks and allows for contingencies when planning; monitors and adjusts plans and actions as necessary; uses time efficiently.
- Takes ownership of all responsibilities and honours commitments; delivers outputs for which one has responsibility within prescribed time, cost and quality standards; operates in compliance with organizational regulations and rules; supports subordinates, provides oversight and takes responsibility for delegated assignments; takes personal responsibility for his/her own shortcomings and those of the work unit, where applicable.
- Serves as a role model that other people want to follow: empowers others to translate vision into results; is proactive in developing strategies to accomplish objectives; establishes and maintains relationships with a broad range of people to understand needs and gain support; anticipates and resolves conflicts by pursuing mutually agreeable solutions; drives for change and improvements; does not accept the status quo; shows the courage to take unpopular stands. Provides leadership and takes responsibility for incorporating gender perspectives and ensuring the equal participation of women and men in all areas of work; demonstrates knowledge of strategies and commitment to the goal of gender balance in staffing.
- Identifies the key issues in a complex situation, and comes to the heart of the problem quickly; gathers relevant information before making a decision; considers positive and negative impacts of decisions prior to making them; takes decisions with an eye to the impact on others and on the Organization; proposes a course of action or makes a recommendation based on all available information; checks assumptions against facts; determines the actions proposed will satisfy the expressed and underlying needs for the decision; makes tough decisions when necessary.
- Speaks and writes clearly and effectively; listens to others, correctly interprets messages from others and responds appropriately; asks questions to clarify, and exhibits interest in having two-way communication; tailors language, tone, style and format to match audience; demonstrates openness in sharing information and keeping people informed.
- Post-graduate qualification in Business Administration & Management (MBA/MSc) or equivalent standard of education/experience •
- A fully qualified chartered accountant – ACCA/ACA/CIMA/CPA (or equivalent standard of education)
- 10 – 15 years of post-graduate working experience. Broad experience in financial and operations management.
- Languages English and French are the working languages of the ARO. For this post fluency in English and French (both oral and written) is required. Knowledge of Portuguese is an advantage.
- Assessment Evaluation of qualified candidates may include a desk review and/or an assessment exercise which may be followed by competency-based interview.
- Other Requirements
- Experience in working in a multicultural environment.
- Willing to work outside standard office hours as required.
- Willing to travel internationally – about 30 days a year.
How to Apply
For more details on the job description and on how to apply please visit https://www.ippfar.org/jobs
IPPF offers a wide range of benefits and is an equal opportunity employer.
Applications are particularly encouraged from women, people living with disabilities, people living with HIV and minorities.