- Company: The Nature Conservancy
- Location: Kenya
- State: Nairobi
- Job type: Full-Time
- Job category: Human Resource Management Jobs in Kenya
We work with local communities, governments and organizations to conserve Africa’s important places. Africa is special. Its wild lands and waters are home to incredible numbers and diversity of species living close to people. For most rural Africans, connection to place takes on unique meaning, more so than anywhere else on Earth because their daily existence depends on the productivity of their natural resources. Challenges in Africa Some 60 percent of Africa’s lands and waters – community property, in a sense – are managed by the people who live on them. These people are undoubtedly the most vulnerable on Earth. A continuing threat is their lack of control over the communal lands and waters they depend on for survival. And as the people struggle, so too does the wildlife that relies on the same resources. An absence of strong institutions and governance further compounds these challenges.
Your Position With Tnc
The Human Resources Specialist provides human resource support services in one or more of the following functions, compensation, benefits, payroll, and recruiting. The position will report to the Human Resource Manager and will be based at the any of the following locations: Arusha-Tanzania, or Nairobi-Kenya
The Human Resources Specialist is responsible for administering and maintaining HR systems, programs, procedures and plans according to HR policies and will provide assistance to all levels of personnel on various HR-related issues and requests within the TNC Africa Business Unit. This position provides support to the HR manager and maintains a high degree of confidentiality and a strong customer service focus. Using their specialized knowledge, the HR Specialist will deal with customers with high level of maturity, tact and diplomacy. Their key role is to manage all staff data including information on contracts and other related data, serve as the BU focal person on recruitments, onboarding and global mobility. The role must provide excellent customer service, demonstrate initiative, take ownership of responsibilities, and complete projects with positive results. The role will work closely with the worldwide Office talent acquisition team, training and development, and Global mobility teams to provide required HR support.
Responsibilities And Scope
- Responds to moderately complex employee/management questions and problems based on advanced knowledge of aspects applicable to the subject area.
- Recruitment administrator for Job description development, posting, advertisements, interview schedules and reporting, reference checks, documentation, hiring & on-boarding, tracking recruitment and validation of hire information.
- Custodian of employment contracts, offer & promotion letters, introductory period, separation processes and documentation and ensure communication on employee related matters on change of employment status.
- Maintains and updates HR tracker on recruitments, fixed employment contracts, creates and maintain the integrity of the staff personnel files by storing them in a confidential manner and ensuring that all documentation is available and up to date.
- Coordinate Employee medical and benefits enrolment, renewals, cancellations, negotiations, analysis and serve as Employee contact person on health benefits and insurance. Verify benefit entitlements for accuracy and liaise with the service provider for conformance to agreements and benefits standards.
- Coordinates employee welfare and wellness. In liaison with Operations Manager ensure safety programs across all offices in the region.
- Serve as the Business Unit U Liaison person for all WO office coordinated training programs.
- Coordination of global mobility on work permits, renewals and submission of documents.
- Works closely with Payroll Manager/Finance Manager to communicate payroll matters and provide necessary monthly payroll inputs.
- Facilitate administration of staff surveys to gauge employee satisfaction, engagements and feedback.
- Updates job knowledge by participating in conferences and educational opportunities; reading professional publications; maintaining personal networks; participating in professional organizations.
- Enhances department and organization reputation by accepting ownership for accomplishing new and different requests; exploring opportunities to add value to job accomplishments.
- Ensure the Africa Org chart is regularly updated.
- Perform all other human resources and administrative tasks deemed necessary for the smooth running of the human resources office.
- Bachelor’s degree or a minimum of 5 years related work experience in area(s) of specialization or equivalent combination.
- Human Resource certified professional.
- Experience coordinating and leading projects.
- Experience responding to HR related questions and problems from employees/management.
- Experience in one or more of the following areas: database management and spreadsheet software; constructing and producing reports; data input, manipulation, and analysis.
- Experience working with MS Office software, including Word, Excel, Access and PowerPoint.
- Multi-lingual skills and multi-cultural or cross-cultural experience appreciated.
- Higher Diploma in Human Resource Management.
- Member of Human Resource Management body.
- Advanced understanding of employee contracting legal framework
- Experience working with integrated Human Resources Management Systems e.g. Peoplesoft.
- Strong organizational skills and attention to detail.
- Solid knowledge of word processing, database management, and spreadsheet software, with ability to construct and produce reports, data input, manipulation, and analysis
- Proven track record of maintaining employee confidentiality
- May require fluency in foreign language(s) to support global operations.
- Ability to travel.