- Company: International Livestock Research Institute (ILRI)
- Location: Kenya
- State: Nairobi
- Job type: Contract
- Job category: - - Healthcare/Medical Jobs in KenyaInternational Livestock Research Institute Jobs in KenyaTraining/Internship
The International Livestock Research Institute (ILRI) works to improve food security and reduce poverty in developing countries through research for better and more sustainable use of livestock. ILRI is a CGIAR research centre – part of a global research partnership for a food-secure future.
The MSc fellow to be recruited into the project will:
- Develop an MSc research proposal in line with the requirements of the university of admission.
- Develop a protocol for screening blood, serum samples and tissue samples for a range of potential abortifacients in livestock.
- Process the samples mentioned above for molecular analysis.
- Extract nucleic material from the samples and screen them using standard RT-PCR techniques.
- Process the positive samples detected for genome sequencing to determine the genetic diversity of agents detected.
- Upload all the data obtained from the work to the project database hosted at the ILRI servers.
- Analyze results obtained and draft a thesis and at least one journal publication.
The Ideal Candidate Should
- Have registered in a recognized university and is currently pursuing an MSc in molecular biology, bioinformatics or related field.
- Have completed their course work and is ready to begin the research component of their study.
- Possess working experience in molecular screening techniques including RT PCR.
- Possess working knowledge of MS Office applications.
- Demonstrate good understanding of data handling techniques, analysis, especially involving use of statistical packages such as STATA, R or Python.
- Demonstrate excellent written and verbal communication skills in English
- Show ability to work as part of a team.