- Company: FHI360
- Location: Kenya
- State: Nairobi
- Job type: Full-Time
- Job category: Administrative/Secretarial Jobs in Kenya
FHI 360 (formerly Family Health International) is a nonprofit human development organization based in North Carolina. FHI 360 serves more than 70 countries and all U.S. states and territories
Project: CDC: Supporting the Sustainable Implementation of Comprehensive High-Quality HIV Prevention, Care and Treatment Programs in Nairobi County/Western Region of Kenya under PEPFAR
Location: Nairobi County/Western Region, Kenya
Reports to: Co-Principal Investigator
Summary of Position:
Under the leadership of the Principal Investigator and the direct supervision of the Co-Principal Investigator, the Laboratory Lead will provide overall technical leadership, coordination, and supervision of all aspect’s laboratory services in the program. S/he will provide technical support and supervision in collaboration with project management teams to ensure the successful planning and implementation of laboratory services, including work planning, budgeting, supportive supervision, technical support, and reporting. The incumbent will provide laboratory related representation for the program at sub-county and national forums/meetings as may be called upon, and collaborate with laboratory-related national mechanisms and institutions in supporting laboratory strengthening activities.
Duties and responsibilities
- Provide technical leadership, oversight and support related on laboratory services and networking for the program.
- Coordinate the design, planning and implementation of the laboratory component of HIV/AIDS care and treatment, including ART in collaboration with program, facility, and county laboratory staff.
- In liaison with County and Sub-County Medical Laboratory Technologist, provide technical assistance in capacity building to program laboratory technical officers and facility laboratory personnel in lab service delivery, commodity management, QA/QI, lab equipment maintenance to facilitate provision of quality integrated HIV services.
- Strengthen and expand laboratory networking between facilities, sub-counties, and counties in collaboration with program technical officers and County Health Management Teams (CHMTs).
- Carry out all the lab related quality control functions/ activities in collaboration with the county team, including quality control inspections schedules and the collection of quality control records, and ensure availability of high-quality documentation.
- Develop quality control and quality assurance systems in collaboration with existing personnel and systems and ensures related documentation, training, and monitoring.
- Review and monitor quality assurance (QA) and quality control (QC) activities of the laboratory in order to determine conformity with established policies, national regulations, and accreditation requirements.
- Develop guidelines, tools and recommendations related to the implementation, monitoring and quality assurance of laboratory services for TB, HIV care and treatment, malaria care and treatment and opportunistic infections (OI).
- Work in close collaboration with the project management team and CHMT to strengthen laboratory systems and services to offer improved access to laboratory diagnosis and monitoring in support of provision of quality integrated health services.
- Work in close collaboration with the Monitoring and Evaluation Lead to strengthen Laboratory Health Management Information Systems for commodity reporting at facility, sub-county and county levels.
- Contribute to the tracking of progress, analysis of data, and preparation of project reports for the donor.
- Develop lessons learned from activities related to laboratory services and management for HIV/AIDS care and treatment and apply these lessons to improve the program.
- Represent the project team at technical/stakeholder forums with the donor, other implementing partners, and county and national governments on laboratory related matters; and
- Perform other duties as assigned.
Desired knowledge, skills, and attributes
- In-depth knowledge of Kenyan public health sector and clinical settings, including governmental and non-governmental contexts.
- Excellent working knowledge of laboratory equipment and techniques for the following: HIV testing (rapid and confirmatory testing), HIV viral load, CD4, HIV DNA qualitative test, HIV viral resistance, TB, and other opportunistic infection.
- Advanced training in laboratory services and systems strengthening.
- Thorough knowledge of Quality Assurance, Quality Control and proficiency testing concepts, and ability to apply these concepts to resolve complex conditions in laboratory and administrative settings.
- Knowledge of laboratory service and management issues related to the clinical management of HIV/AIDS, including ART.
- Laboratory management and training experience and ability to understand full range of issues around the laboratory management of HIV/AIDS, including provision of counseling and testing services.
- Demonstrated interpersonal skills and ability to work well with others, including developing and maintaining compatibility among program staff, health care workers, county and subcounty officials, consultants, sub-awardees, program beneficiaries, other stakeholders.
- Demonstrated management and team-building skills, including relevant experience in direct supervision of professional staff.
- Articulate and able to communicate in a clear, professional manner with clients and staff.
- Sensitivity to cultural differences and understanding of the social, political ethical issues surrounding HIV infections.
- Ability to represent project on care and treatment related issues to CDC, county officials and other stakeholders.
- Ability to manage tight deadlines and deliver high volumes work with minimal supervision.
- High degree of proficiency in written and spoken English communication; and
- Well-developed computer skills
- Master’s degree in laboratory sciences, biological science, or related degree with 7 to 9 years relevant experience.
- A minimum of 5 years of experience in designing, implementing, managing and leading donor funded HIV laboratory strengthening service delivery programs, particularly health facility-based services, including quality assurance systems, laboratory analysis, and interpretation and reporting techniques based on best practices and quality management practices;
- Knowledge of advanced laboratory procedures, diagnosis and management related to HIV/AIDS care and treatment is required.
- Certification / license to practice as a medical laboratory scientist is required.
- Proven experience in project development, planning and facilitating technical training
- A demonstrated track record of providing mentorship and supervision for strengthening laboratory services and training in quality improvement approaches.
- Good knowledge on commodity management and reporting and Laboratory Information Management System (LMIS) functionality.
- Familiarity and experience working with MOH structures and personnel and good knowledge of laboratory related health systems strengthening is highly desired.
- Familiarity with CDC and PEPFAR programs is as advantage.
- Ability to work in a complex project implementation environment with multiple tasks, short deadlines, and intense pressure to perform.
- Excellent skills in facilitation, team building and coordination
- Strong programming, management, technical and critical thinking skills to facilitate program implementation.
- Excellent analytical, communication, presentation and report writing skills.
- Knowledge with strengthening laboratories to achieve international quality standards including against ISO 15189 and/or SLMTA/SLIPTA or in-country standards.
- A demonstrated ability to work with multiple partners on collaborative projects.
This job description summarizes the main duties of the job. It neither prescribes nor restricts the exact tasks that may be assigned to carry out these duties.
This job posting summarizes the main duties of the job. It neither prescribes nor restricts the exact tasks that may be assigned to carry out these duties. This document should not be construed in any way to represent a contract of employment. Management reserves the right to review and revise this document at any time.