- Company: Abt Associates
- Location: Kenya
- State: Kisumu
- Job type: Full-Time
- Job category: NGO Jobs in Kenya
In 2021, USAID Kenya awarded Abt Associates, the Kenya Vector Control Activity. It seeks to build on PMI investments under PMI AIRS and VectorLink. The purpose of the project is to plan, implement, provide technical assistance for, monitor and evaluate critical malaria vector control activities. This includes indoor residual spraying (IRS) and insecticide treated net (ITN) activities for prevention of malaria in Kenya. The project has six objectives: (1) indoor residual spraying and other proven vector control interventions, (2) entomological monitoring and surveillance, (3) ITN durability monitoring (4) data driven decision making to inform strategic deployment of ITNs and IRS, (5) capacity building of Kenya national malaria program and selected counties and (6) continuous net distribution system in the community through multiple channels. In 2022, Abt Associates shall implement IRS in Homa Bay and Migori Counties and in other counties thereafter as determined by USAID Kenya.
Under the supervision of the Chief of Party, the Monitoring, Evaluation and Learning (MEL) Advisor focuses on surveillance and information management, monitoring programmatic vector control activities, digital solutions for vector control programming, and evaluating associated epidemiological, entomological, and environmental impact in targeted communities. S/he will promote the results of the program, disseminate evidence, and identify strategic opportunities to transfer knowledge to multiple stakeholders at project and country levels. The MEL Advisor will directly supervise the database manager. In collaboration with COP and DCOP, Finance and Administration, the MEL Advisor shall provide technical oversight and management of any local subcontracts under the MEL activities.
Specific Duties And Responsibilities Include The Following
- Provide leadership in M&E and foster a culture of innovation and learning through routine reflection of project performance, identification of lessons learned, and use of evidence to inform programming decisions to maximize project results and impact.
- Lead the needs assessments and baseline surveys/data collection process prior to IRS campaigns and other vector control activities.
- Lead establishment of routine M&E systems to support tracking of vector control program activities, progress, and performance.
- Improve programmatic monitoring efforts through managing the data collection of routine vector control activities and reporting the data for internal and client use.
- Design, review and test M&E tools for reporting formats and data collection.
- Ensure appropriate skills are maintained with the national and county vector control teams through focused trainings for continued maintenance of the established M&E tracking systems.
- Track and report data on all project indicators to the Abt Home Office and PMI/Kenya; This includes regular updating of the project’s official Monitoring and Evaluation Plan.
- Prepare performance monitoring plans, including developing and defining program indicators and sources of data, as well as annual reports and other project documents.
- Conduct periodic internal Data Quality Assessments and prepare the project for possible external Data Quality Audits to ensure validity, integrity, precision, reliability and timeliness of all performance data, identifying gaps and suggesting corrective actions on time.
- The position requires frequent travel to counties and field sites where vector control activities are taking place to conduct routine monitoring, program supervision, and support.
Qualification Requirements Include The Following
- Masters Degree in a relevant social science field, such as Public Health/Environmental health, Community Health, or Statistics.
- At least seven years of relevant professional experience in program monitoring and evaluation and in research, with previous IRS or other malaria program experience desirable.
- Demonstrated expertise in M&E, research and CLA methods with respect to public health programs including experience in design of M&E systems and tools
- Experience building the capacity of stakeholders at project, country or global levels in data generation and use (evidence translation)
- Experience in implementing digital solutions for health, including experience usingDHIS 2 software, GIS/mapping applications, mobile data collection systems (ie: ODK, KoBo, DHIS 2 Android Capture app, etc), and data visualization.
- Experience and familiarity with USAID program monitoring and evaluation, and performance monitoring.
- Strong analytic and quantitative database management skills, budgeting and report writing.
- English language fluency .
Bachelor’s Degree + Fifteen years of relevant experience, or Master’s Degree + Twelve years of relevant experience, or PhD + Ten years of relevant experience
Abt Associates is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity employer committed to fostering a diverse workforce. Abt Associates provides market-competitive salaries and comprehensive employee benefits. Local candidates strongly encouraged to apply.
Disclaimer: Abt Associates will never ask candidates for money in exchange for an offer of employment.