Médecins Sans Frontières/Doctors Without Borders, Eastern Africa (MSF EAS) is looking for a
DATA PROTECTION PROJECT MANAGER
(Position based in Nairobi)
Médecins Sans Frontières (MSF) is an international independent medical humanitarian action-driven organization, which offers assistance to populations in distress, to victims of natural or man-made disasters and to victims of armed conflict, without discrimination and irrespective of race, religion, creed or political affiliation. 26 associations, 23 sections, and 16 branch offices make-up the international movement and work in partnership around 6 operational entities.
MSF Eastern Africa
MSF Eastern Africa is the regional institutional office for MSF in East Africa. The office focuses on representation and networking, including with humanitarian organisations and authorities, recruiting and supporting staff from the region, communications and fundraising, as well as on other dossiers of importance to MSF such as Diversity, Equality and Inclusion (DEI), mutualization, trainings, medical operational support and environmental health.
You can learn more about MSF on our website or via our digital channels – Facebook , Instagram , and LinkedIn .
Since entering into force in May 2018, the EU General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) applies to all entities in the European Economic Area (EEA) and – due to the extended territorial scope – to a large extent also to entities outside of the EEA. The GDPR has led to a significant rise in data protection compliance duties.
In Kenya, The Data Protection Act, 2019, was signed into law back in 2019. The Act, whose comprehensive legislation borrows heavily from the European Union’s General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR), seeks to create an institutional framework and legal guidelines for processing personal data in Kenya and belonging to Kenyans. Kenya’s first data commissioner was sworn in October 2019 to ensure protection, proper handling and processing of personal data by different entities.
As the GDPR came into force, MSF acknowledged that we were not sufficiently compliant globally and locally. In response, an International Data Protection Steering Committee was created by higher MSF executive level in 2017 and a steering committee created. The creation of data protection board has been approved in 2021.
Under the general Director and in collaboration with the Head of finance, the project manager will develop the Data Protection and implementation strategy, assuring compliance with GDPR, and other applicable data protection laws. She/he will implement MSF Baseline and will be developing a system to prevent or deal with violations of legal guidelines and internal policies. She/he will utilize the Data protection Software “OneTrust” to support the development of the data protection system.
Key tasks include:
In order to assess MSF-EA data protection To Do’s, a “gap analysis” between the current status of data protection compliance and the obligations deriving from the GDPR and Kenyan Regulation should be carried out.
Risk Analysis – prioritization
- The Project Manager-Data Protection will have to assess what kind of data processing activities are of biggest risk/ and arrange its resources respectively.
- Project drawing / resources & budget planning
- Draw the Road map for the GDPR implementation process with planning of activities, stakeholder identification, assigning responsibilities, change management plan.
- Implementation of a compliant data protection structure
- Implement the Baseline and the selected GDPR requirements; Organizational requirements, Notification obligations, IT/Cyber Security requirements, Contractual requirements.
(a) Defined roles and responsibilities in the involved Company entities: Set up a structure of persons responsible for data protection in foreign stakeholder entities as well as within MSF EA.
(b) Procedures and concepts: Ensure that concepts, policies and standard operating procedures (cumulatively “SOPs”) are in place where needed to ensure effective implementation of Baseline and GDPR selected obligations
(c) Training: Train Employees on their obligations and responsibilities deriving from the GDPR.
(d) Documentation of Compliance: Implement appropriate measures allowing EAS to demonstrate compliance with GDPR requirements.
(e) Data processing agreements: Due to the agreements that MSF EA must conclude with internal and external parties, implement a sensible data processing contract management strategy.
(f) Training and coaching of staff regarding matters related to GDPR.
- Demonstrated expertise in designing and implementing a data protection compliance, with relevant/related studies in technical area is required.
- Applied knowledge in Project management.
- Commitment to MSF’s Principles
- Cross-cultural Awareness
- Behavioural Flexibility
- Stress Management
- Analytical Thinking
- Results and Quality Orientation
- Service Orientation
- Planning and Organising
- People management and development
- Teamwork and Cooperation
- Position based in Eastern Africa Section (EAS) office
- Full time job.
- Duration of contract: 4 months.
- Monthly gross salary of KES 288,806 + Secondary benefits based on EAS Reward Policy. This will include a facilitation for relocation of the staff to work in/from Nairobi if not based in Kenya (flights to/from home country, Visa etc), accommodation while in Nairobi for the duration of the assignment.
- Starting date: ASAP
How to Apply
Apply by 31st March 2021 following the link provided.
For further information about the role/position, you may contact: [email protected]
MSF is a people-focused humanitarian organization that offers a diverse, collaborative, and inclusive work environment. We believe this approach enhances our work and we are committed to equity in employment. We embrace diverse backgrounds of people working together to exhibit their passion in action for the social mission of MSF. **
Médecins Sans Frontieres, as a responsible employer, invite those persons with a recognized disability and with an interest in the humanitarian area to apply for the above-mentioned position.