KEMRI / University of Washington
Job Announcement: Neurodevelopmental Assessors
The Kenya Medical Research Institute (KEMRI) in collaboration with the University of Washington (UW) is conducting research studies in Kenya.
The KEMRI/UW research collaboration aims to conduct interdisciplinary, setting-specific research aimed at improving the lives of women and children in Kenya.
Specifically, our research strives to understand various infectious diseases afflicting these populations and testing interventions.
We are looking for a Neurodevelopmental Assessor (2 positions) who is motivated, committed, and honest.
This person will be involved in the Tuna Mwana cohort study focused on child growth and development.
The KEMRI/UW team seeks to recruit a dynamic, innovative and experienced person to fill the position and will be based in Migori County Referral Hospital, Migori town:
Neurodevelopmental Assessors (2 Positions)
- To perform intensive child neurodevelopmental assessments in a research environment
- Administer neurodevelopmental assessments for infant and toddler motor, language, cognitive and self-regulation skills using:
- Bayley Scales of Infant and Toddler Development
- Caregiver self-report instruments
- Other similar instruments as needed
- Administer standardized assessments for caregiver-child interactions
- Maintain study participant confidentiality.
- Respectfully interact with caregivers, and administer detailed questionnaires to caregivers
- Be videorecorded while conducting testing for team review and to maintain high quality testing skills over the long term
- Review test forms for accuracy, completeness, and errors in real time
- Participate in routine group team video review and give constructive feedback to others.
- Communicate on a regular (e.g., daily if needed) basis with study team members based in USA (Seattle and Washington) via email, text, and zoom.
- Participate in training and quality control activities with other assessors within a collaborative group of study teams conducting similar assessments, and support assessments as needed.
- Assist with videorecording testing for quality control and manage video files
- Assist with data entry and manage data collection forms
- Assist with visit scheduling
- Assist with any study implementation tasks for the Tunza Mwana team
- Bachelor’s degree from a recognized institution with coursework in Psychology, a major in Psychology is desired.
- Fluency in Luo and or Kuria
- Experience working with small children or demonstrated interest in child development or working with small children.
- Experience conducting neurodevelopmental assessments.
- Computer literacy
- Good oral and written communication skills
- Excellent demonstrated organizational skills
- Demonstrated attention to detail.
- Demonstrated track record for punctuality and reliability.
- Demonstrated strong rapport with small children.
- Able to multi-task
- Be a team player
- Must have Certificate of good conduct
- Must have KRA Certificate of Tax compliance
- Must have Clearance Certificate from HELB
- Must have credit reference Bureau Certificate
Terms of Employment: Compensation will be commensurate with experience and skills.
Employment will commence with a 3-month probationary contract.
Contract renewal will depend on successfully mastering neurodevelopmental assessments within this timeframe.
Health insurance will be provided following contract renewal.
The successful candidate shall be based in Migori.
This is a 40 hour per week position.
How to Apply
Interested applicants should send the following to [email protected] by Friday 15th July, 2022 at 5.00 p.m.
Cover letter stating current position of employment with responsibilities (if applicable), current salary and date of availability to begin work on the project.
Current Curriculum Vitae with e-mail address, telephone number, names and telephone contacts of at least three referees; copies of certificates; and at least two (2) letters of recommendation (minimum).
Note: Only the shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
KEMRI / University of Washington
P.O. BOX 2651-00202 Nairobi, Kenya