- Company: Amref Kenya
- Location: Kenya
- State: Nairobi
- Job type: Full-Time
- Job category: Administrative/Secretarial Jobs in Kenya
Amref Health Africa in Kenya is the country programme office of Amref Health Africa, Africa’s largest International Health NGO. This is the largest and oldest country programme in Africa with an average annual budget of USD 40million. We have 19 innovative products and project models that have successfully been implemented and transformed 5.4 million lives.
REPORTING TO Principal Investigator – Functional reporting, Programme Director – Administrative reporting (HIV, PROGRAM HIV, TB and Malaria )
Sustainable Laboratory Quality Systems for HIV/TB Epidemic
PHYSICAL LOCATION Amref Kenya Country Office
Implementation of Sustainable Laboratory Quality Systems (SLQS) in the Republic of Kenya under the President’s Emergency Plan for AIDS Relief (PEPFAR) will provide technical assistance (TA) to the Kenya Ministry of Health (MOH) Division of National Public Health Laboratories (NPHL), National VL/EID referral laboratories and other relevant National Health departments to Provide quality laboratory network systems that support timely, efficient and reliable services along the clinical cascade for HIV/TB patients. Sustainable Laboratory Quality Systems programme will coordinate and support activities at the National level, cascade to the counties and site level will be done by lead clinical implementing partners. The objective is for HIV/TBrelated diagnostics to achieve the UNAIDS 95-95-95 goals and epidemic control.
MAIN PURPOSE OF JOB
The Project Director will provide strategic, managerial, technical leadership and management oversight to the project in line with Amref Health Africa policies and in compliance with USG and CDC rules and regulations. The Project Director will serve as the principal liaison to the relevant agencies and CDC. The job holder will ensure timely and efficient achievement of the projects objectives by coordinating partner activities, planning, stakeholder meetings, budgeting and program implementation. The project Director will be responsible for ensuring compliance and monitoring quality of program implementation
- Provide leadership and strategic direction to achieve programmatic and financial sustained outcome and targets
- Develop and maintain strong working relationship with CDC, KNBTS, NASCOP, NHRL, Counties and other stakeholders Participate in national laboratory Committee of Experts (CoE) meetings providing thought leadership on sustainable approaches for implementing laboratory services.
- Oversee program monitoring and evaluation to ensure performance results are met or exceeded in an efficient and effective manner;
- Collaborate with and build strategic partnerships with a diverse set of stakeholders;
- Develop and implement innovative and sustainable approaches to strengthen health programs
- Ensure compliance of project implementation to the terms of the award
- Represent Amref and Project’s progress, achievements and lessons learnt to CDC, MoH, Counties, and other key stakeholders in meetings, conferences and relevant for fora.
- Collaborate with clinical implementing partners to strengthen clinical laboratory interface at national and county levels
- Guide the analysis, synthesis and reporting of outputs and results in collaboration with the M&E team
- Work with finance and project staff to develop and track budget
- Write and /or review project outcomes and publication
- Develop laboratory proposals for funding
- Build laboratory capacity in Amref for sustainability
- Closely monitor project progress towards achieving the set targets
- Manage project and team, set realistic priorities, and plan for the successful implementation of activities; monitor project deliverables and activities; ensure deliverables are accurately completed within deadlines;
Education & Knowledge
PhD in Medical Laboratory Science, Public Health or related field.
- 7 years’ experience in project management, planning, monitoring and evaluation preferably in health programs, at least 5 years of managing laboratory programs at national levels;
- Demonstrated leadership and management skills to effectively implement complex and politically sensitive international health projects;
- Demonstrated expertise in HIV/AIDS prevention (particularly support testing for surveillance, prevention, treatment and care of HIV, TB, and related opportunistic diseases);
- Demonstrated success managing and leading technical and administrative teams for USG funded programs – CDC experience strongly desired;
- Experience in client relationship management, developing program work plans, developing program budgets, managing program implementation, and managing and supervising staff;
- Proven ability to work with senior government and donor officials;
- Demonstrated experience collaborating and implementing programs with private and nonpublic sectors;
- Demonstrated ability to lead and manage diverse teams and ensure high performance;
- Ability to develop and manage relationships with a wide range of stakeholders, including government officials
Skills and Competences
- Strong leadership skills
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills and ability to work as part of a multicultural team.
- Able to work under pressure and on multiple tasks.
- Dynamic, self- motivated and able to demonstrate initiative
- Portrays knowledge in basic principles of human resource management
- Strong team
- Excellent networking skills
- Strong organizational skills
- Demonstrate high levels of integrity Strategic
- Conflict management skills
Duly note that Amref Health Africa does not require applicants to pay any fee at whatever stage of the recruitment and selection process.
Amref Health Africa is committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children and expects all staff to share this commitment. Amref is an equal opportunity employer and has a non-smoking environment policy.