- Company: World Vision Kenya
- Location: Kenya
- State: Turkana
- Job type: Full-Time
- Job category: Project Management Jobs in Kenya
World Vision is an international Christian relief, development and advocacy organisation working in almost 100 countries world-wide to create lasting change in the lives of children, families and communities to overcome poverty and injustice.
Purpose of Position
- To successfully implement Sanitation and Hygiene interventions hence contribute to child wellbeing outcomes. S/he will ensure integration with sponsorship management interventions.
- To successfully do so, the S & H Officer must be able to effectively communicate World Vision’s Christian ethos and demonstrate a quality of spiritual life that serves as an example to others.
Effective Project Design, Planning and implementation (30 %)
- Facilitate timely and quality implementation of Sanitation and Hygiene project.
- Ensure that business processes, standards and guidelines related to, Sanitation and Hygiene initiatives are effectively applied in project implementation.
- Facilitate field visit for all respective line ministries to inspect progress of works and validate all the inspection reports (this includes quantified work done)
- Facilitate communities to identify viable Sanitation projects and ensure their participation in the implementation of the same
- Ensure cross cutting themes are integrated into the S&H project
- Conduct CLTS interventions and facilitation of declarations of ODF Villages
- Coordinate where applicable health interventions for ensuring integrated WASH implementation.
Quality Assurance – Monitoring, Reporting and Documentation (25%)
- Supervise and Monitor Sanitation and Hygiene interventions in strict adherence to WV Kenya, Kenya government regulations, WHO and the SPHERE standards.
- Development of Project Designs and Annual Operation Plans. (4D matrices, DIPs, Annual Budgets).
- Facilitate S&H project surveys (Assessments & Baselines) and evaluations.
- Develop quality monthly, quarterly, semi-annual, annual and end of projects reports in accordance with donors and WV Kenya requirements.
- Document and disseminate best practices on Sanitation and Hygiene projects in the ADP.
- Ensure budgetary utilization is within acceptable limits/range.
- Ensures participatory monthly data collection are conducted (involving communities and partners) using the standardized tools
- Contextualization and utilization of reporting guidelines
- Enhanced Empowerment and Capacity building, 10%
- Capacity Building of CBOs S&H intervention and Schools on formation of S&H clubs
- Capacity building communities in programming and implementation of S&H projects.
- Support preparation and conducting training of community groups and members on Community led total sanitation (CLTS)
- Conduct hygiene and sanitation promotion training sessions.
- Incorporate in all trainings and project interventions economic empowerment and sustainability interventions
- Mobilise and empower the Church, other faith groups and Community based organization to integrate empowered World development in WASH interventions
Advocacy, Engagement Networking and Partnerships 10%
- Gather and provide quality feedback and data to be used to develop technical papers and recommendations on key issues for external engagement with decision makers
- Establish and sustain working relationships with Government Departments and Agencies relevant to the programme’s focus area at the Ward, Sub County and County levels
- Participate in the Annual County Government’s Planning and Budgeting process and influence resource allocation to the priority needs of the most vulnerable groups within the Programme Area
- Ensure that Program participants and partners are kept informed of all the Government laws and policies in respect to the Technical Program being implemented and any changes to government laws, policies and budgets
- Work with partners and coalitions to engage in advocacy activities with the government structures at the County level, to address the needs of local communities and inform national level advocacy initiatives
- Work with community groups to utilize advocacy approaches such as Citizen Voice and Action (CVA) and Child Protection Advocacy (CPA) to enable service users and local partners to engage directly with local government service providers to improve the quality of government services for children and to generate information and evidence for use in national level advocacy work.
- Ensure effective mobilisation of community groups, youth and children, empowering them to hold their governments to account
- Support community groups, youth and children to engage constructively with duty bearers and service providers to improve access to, and quality of, essential services.
Resource Acquisition (10%)
- Develop timely and accurate funding proposals in line with donor requirements and WVK standards in collaboration with ADP Manager, other sector specialists
- Mobilize the community for community contribution for project interventions
Sponsorship Management (10%)
- Ensuring Integrated Sponsorship monitoring
- Participate in Child Sponsorship Management
Provide project data for STEP system & Child monitoring and ensure use of STEP data for project programming. Others (5%)
- Any other duties as assigned by the Supervisor
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Degree in Public/Environmental/Community Health or a related field.
- Minimum two years proven experience in working/programming in either relief or development including managing a large scale Community based water project with evidence of successful implementation of similar projects
- Good understanding of SPHERE and other international standards.
- Knowledge of MS Office, Lotus Notes and statistical program (e.g. SPSS).
- Ability to conduct community S&H needs assessment, program planning, implementation, monitoring and evaluation of S&H activities.