- Company: Syngenta
- Location: Kenya
- State: Nairobi
- Job type: Full-Time
- Job category: Agricultural Jobs in Kenya
Syngenta is a leading agriculture company helping to improve global food security by enabling millions of farmers to make better use of available resources. Through world class science and innovative crop solutions, our 28,000 people in over 90 countries are working to transform how crops are grown. We are committed to rescuing land from degradation, enhancing biodiversity and revitalizing rural communities.
- The purpose of the Quality and Agronomy Lead (In charge of QMS, Irrigation, Phytopathology & crop protection) is to support the R&D site in Kenya Pollen to deliver the targets set by the breeders in time and within quality.
- To develop experience and knowledge of the basic skills associated with plant phytopathology, crop protection, and irrigation & plant nutrition, greenhouse climate management as well as quality management systems (QMS).
- To support the R&D Crop managers in quality management systems (QMS) GSPP/ISO and other quality audits.
- Oversight of the dealings and relationship with the local NPPO in support of the site, and collaboration with Quality teams elsewhere within Syngenta.
- Supporting the crop managers to grow healthy plants by ensuring irrigation, feeding, and disease and pest management to achieve their various crop breeding program goals.
- Ensure timely disease and pest monitoring, reporting and treatment/prevention programs.
- Plan and monitor the efficiency of crop treatment with CP/Bio products and ensure actions are taken when deviations occur.
- Plan and execute GH/growing area climate management, monitoring and prompt data collection and sharing with relevant team mates for timely decision making.
- Train the scouts and the general workforce on scouting and simple disease, pest and weeds identification techniques and maintain training records.
- Ensure and oversee regular training and proficient testing of spray operators.
- Administer proficiency tests, evaluate results, use them to design remedial and future trainings and provide them to auditors when needed.
- Ensure execution of laboratory tests/investigations on plant tissue/soil/seed and water to help in disease diagnosis.
- Ensure records of inspections, scouting reports, crop treatment, irrigation and feeding, seed health, audits and risk assessments are kept properly in easily retrievable formats and locations and are reviewed per procedure or when need arises.
- Oversee preparation for and execution of quality and system audits, follow up and closure of any gaps/non-conformities and organizes sharing of learnings and best practices within and between sites.
- Help your reports to set performance goals, evaluate them and take necessary remedial actions to close any performance gaps identified.
- Oversight and coordinate the Kenya Plant Inspectorate Services (KEPHIS) support to the site.
- Effectively communicate and liaise on a regular basis with site head, crop managers, Technicians, assistant technicians and breeders, on matters QMS, accreditation, phytopathology, crop protection, crop nutrition and general site hygiene and sanitation.
- Ensure the Tomato GSPP programme is run strictly per protocol to maintain accreditation status.
- Performing all tasks and behaving in a manner compliant with and in support of all health and safety related company policies and practices, including completing all required company training courses – online or otherwise.
- Manage the crop protection team- both temps and permanents ensuring adherence to rotation programs in line with requirements.
- Critical success factors and key challenges
- Must maintain high degree of accuracy and be detail oriented in all tasks
- Develop accurate knowledge in plan disease and pest management of the various crop species in Greenhouse and open field.
- Develop effective communication and maintain strong working relationships with the whole local R&D team, P&S & Flowers peers and with breeders and their technical representatives when required
- Demonstrate flexibility with tasks ranging from administration through to practical work.
- Demonstrate ability to work accurately under pressure, with short timelines and cope with changing priorities.
- Highest regard for health and safety in all tasks and procedures undertaken, including strict adherence to standard operating procedures.
Desired Skills and Experience
- A Degree in Agriculture/Horticulture, crop protection science or Biological sciences.
- Understanding of plant growth and nutrition is essential and experience in growing crops is desirable.
- Knowledge and/or experience in crop protection and or quality management systems is desirable.
- A basic understanding of plant genetics or breeding systems would only be an added advantage.
- Experience in horticulture/agriculture and especially in GH environment
- Experience in working within a team of people
- Experience in working with tight and changing deadlines.
- Experience in working in a complex organization is a plus
- Experience in working in a crop protection/plant pathology team/organization is an added advantage
- Critical technical, professional, and personal capabilities
- Reliable accuracy and attention to details.
- Capability to use MS Office, especially Outlook, Excel, and other internal standard software.
- Demonstrate ability to accurate hand work.
- Ability to work with a small dedicated team or independently
- Ability to meet multiple deadlines without compromising quality
- Ability to prioritise, especially under pressure
- Confidence in communicating with people at different levels in the company
- Critical leadership capabilities
- Prioritizes actions and ensures appropriate support and resource
- Skilfully plans, organizes, and monitors performance to meet deadlines
- Coaches people to excel by giving clear, direct, and skilful feedback
- Provides opportunities for learning, development, and growth
Specific technical trainings will be organized and might require international travelling The role being part of a new organization might change slightly in the future to address business needs.