- Company: International Livestock Research Institute (ILRI)
- Location: Kenya
- State: Nairobi
- Job type: Full-Time
- Job category: Natural Science Jobs in Kenya
The International Livestock Research Institute (ILRI) works to improve food security and reduce poverty in developing countries through research for better and more sustainable use of livestock. ILRI is a CGIAR research center – part of a global research partnership for a food-secure future.
The International Livestock Research Institute (ILRI) seeks to recruit a Scientist – Cell biologist to undertake in vitro assays aimed at determining the mechanism of resistance to infection with T. parva . These studies will complement the genomic analyses currently underway. Understanding the mechanism of tolerance may reveal new insights into how best to control or prevent East Coast fever.
ILRI works to improve food and nutritional security and reduce poverty in developing countries through research for efficient, safe and sustainable use of livestock. It is the only one of 15 CGIAR research centres dedicated entirely to animal agriculture research for the developing world. Co-hosted by Kenya and Ethiopia, it has regional or country offices and projects in East, South and Southeast Asia as well as Central, East, Southern and West Africa (www.ilri.org).
- Undertake in vitro infection and proliferation assays of T. parva -infected lymphocytes from cattle carrying the candidate resistance trait
- Devise and carry out in vitro assays to validate genes identified as candidates in mediating resistance
- Perform other assays as required to identify the mechanism of inherited resistance to East Coast fever
- Interact with other members of the group
- Publish results as peer-reviewed articles
- Lead and contribute to the development of resource mobilisation proposals
- Supervise research associates, external collaborators and PhD and MSc students as required and related to the broader agenda.
- PhD in Biological Sciences or any related field
- Five years’ postdoctoral experience in a relevant discipline
- Requisite publication record
- Experience in relevant techniques in cell biology, especially immunoassays, cell culture and proliferation assays
- Strong English language skills, both written and spoken (proficiency in another language is strong advantage).
- Demonstrated ability to work both in a team environment and independently to accomplish required tasks while creating a high-quality and respectful work environment; be personable, flexible, possess excellent organizational and communication skills and take pride in their work
Post location: The position will be based in Nairobi, Kenya
Terms of Appointment
This is position is at job level HG 18 and it is open to both national and international applicants. The position is a 3-year contract, renewable subject to satisfactory performance and availability of funding. ILRI offers a competitive salary and benefits package which includes; pension, medical and other insurances
The position title and reference number: CB/07/2021should be clearly marked on the subject line of the online application.
We thank all applicants for their interest in working for ILRI. Due to the volume of applications, only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
ILRI does not charge a fee at any stage of the recruitment process (application, interview meeting, processing or training). ILRI also does not concern itself with information on applicants’ bank accounts.