Job Vacancy: Senior Procurement Officer
SOS Children’s Villages in Kenya is a member of SOS – Kinderdorf International, the largest private child welfare organization in the world.
SOS Children’s Villages in Kenya is a child-focused Non-Governmental Organization established in 1973 to provide care and support to children who have lost or are at risk of losing the care of their biological family.
The organization’s vision is “No child should grow up alone” and its programmes are driven by the mission of “building families for children in need, helping them shape their own futures and sharing in the development of their communities”.
In this regard, the organization works to reduce poverty; increase access to quality education and decent work; reduce inequalities and build strong institutions as laid out in SDGs 1, 4,8,10 and 16.
This is done through programmes that are geared towards addressing the political, economic, health and social root causes that lead to high levels of child vulnerability and put families at risk of breaking down.
The programmes focus on Alternative Care, Family Strengthening, Youth Empowerment, Education, Health Care and Advocacy.
SOS Children’s Villages in Kenya implements programmes in five (5) of Kenya’s 47 Counties namely Nairobi, Mombasa, Uasin Gishu, Kisumu and Meru. We seek to recruit suitably qualified persons to fill the following position.
Senior Procurement Officer – 1 Position (National Office)
Reporting to the National Director, the Senior Procurement Officer will be responsible for managing the procurement unit, developing and implementing strong governance through procurement policies, processes and controls. S/he will develop organization specific cost optimization programs through innovative procurement strategies and implementing procurement plans based on organization
Main clients: SOS Children’s Villages Kenya, Regional and International Staff
Key performance areas and main responsibilities:
1. Supply Chain Planning
- Ultimately responsible for supply chain activities.
- Planning and developing supply chain plans to support program implementation and coordinating closely with internal and external stakeholders. Supply chain planning includes; procurement plans, warehousing plans, transport plans, staffing plans, distribution plans and training plans.
- Developing procurement plans for all active grants in collaboration with program coordinators/managers.
2. Procurement Management
- Management of procurement strategies, policies and procedures for the MA in time.
Compliance to SOS Children’s Villages Kenya and donor policies in the procurement of program
supplies and assets.
Reviewing and execution of procurement contracts in timely manner. i.e. issuing LPO, lease
- Submission of monthly and quarterly reports.
- Reviewing procurement documents before payments i.e. invoice, delivery notes etc.
Ensuring all suppliers/service providers information, history and performance are filed and kept
confidentially in all offices
- Updating prequalified supplier’s database
Conducting market survey and quarterly analysis to be shared with the program team and
Establishing reasonable and appropriate lead-time for all procurement of program supplies and
delivery of goods.
3. Inventory Management
Implementing inventory standards operating procedures and control as per SOS Children’s
Villages Kenya policy.
- Checking and ensuring safety through supply chain assessment tool.
4. Assets Management
Responsible for procurement, maintenance, safekeeping and records of all Member Association
(MA) assets and equipment.
- Asset maintenance and tracking through tagging.
- In charge of asset disposal as per organization policy
Conducting spot checks, documenting and reporting for all organization assets, inventory and
equipment at least once in the year.
5. Fleet / Vehicles Management
In charge of overseeing and coordinating all MA fleet and transportation, ensuring that all fleet
operations are conducted with adherence to SOS Children’s Villages Kenya vehicle policies and
procedures including vehicle procurement, movement, and maintenance and reporting
- Ensuring all MA vehicles are in good condition and well maintained
- Arranging for insurance of all vehicles according to organization policy.
- Ensuring fleet management policy is implemented and followed by all staff in the MA.
- Regularly reviewing fuel consumption management.
- Reviewing vehicle monthly reports and providing necessary reports to the management
6. Contract Management, Compliance and Ethics
Identifying and analyzing compliance risk in supply chain processes, implementing strong
procurement controls, identifying procurement red flags.
Implementing internal and external audit corrective action plans and ensure all supply chain
activities are conducted in ethical manners.
Preparing Consultancy Agreement, Statement of Works (SoW), Contracts and other documents
required for project implementation in consultation with legal specialists as needed.
- Monitoring and analyzing contract performance as per the agreed terms.
The role holder is responsible for and must ensure each procurement process demonstrates
value for money and cost efficiency to the organization.
Compliance to MA and federation “Conflict of Interest” and “Anti-Fraud” policies and MA
Capacity building of location procurement teams for effective and efficient procurement of
goods and services at the locations.
Perform any other reasonable task as assigned by the immediate supervisor from time to time.
Formal qualifications & Experience Requirements
- Bachelor’s degree in supply chain management or equivalent
- A Master’s degree is an added advantage
- Must be a registered member of Kenya Institute of Supplies Management (KISM) and in good standing.
- 5 years’ experience in supply chain and/or procurement, preferably in the NGO sector.
- CPSP, APS or CIPS qualifications is desirable.
Required Skill set & Personal Attributes
- Excellent communications and presentation skills.
- High standards of conduct and ethics as well as integrity, appropriate judgment, independence and confidentiality.
- Personal organization and planning skills; ability to organize and prioritize
- Capable of a rigorous analytical approach and result oriented.
- Ability to place details in a wider context;
- Flexible, resilient and able to manage stress.
Child Protection Policy
At all times, avoid actions or behaviour that could be construed as poor or potentially abusive practice.
Whatever decisions and actions taken should be with the best interest of the child in mind.
Data Protection Policy
At all times ensure that personal data of donors, sponsors, SOS Children’s Villages Kenya beneficiaries and their families as well as co-workers is handled confidentially and in accordance with prevailing SOS-Kinderdorf International data protection laws.
How to Apply
If you believe your experience, competencies and qualifications match the job and role specifications described; send a Cover Letter & updated CV in PDF with details of 3 traceable referees one of which must be immediate former employer to [email protected] addressed to the Human Resources Manager to reach us on or before 20th May 2022.
Please specify on the position interested in.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted
SOS Children’s Villages holds strict child safeguarding principles and a zero-tolerance policy for conducts of sexual harassment, exploitation and abuse in the workplace and other places where the organization’s activities are rendered.
Parallel to technical competence, recruitment, selection and hiring decisions will give due emphasize to assessing candidates value congruence and thorough background checks, police clearance reference check processes.
SOS Children’s Villages is an equal opportunity employer and its Recruitment Policy addresses itself to the core values of best practice, diversity and equality.