Senior Consultant Livestock Job, Latest NGO Jobs Kenya,
Based on SNV’s Nanyuki field office in Laikipia county, the Senior Livestock consultant will support the implementation of the LISTEN project activities on the sustainable rangeland and grazing models and livestock value chain production systems, improved rangeland health and increased incomes . She/he may be assigned other duties beyond the said project component as may be found necessary from time to time.
The Senior Livestock officer will work with the supervisor assigned to them on the following areas:
- Provide primary technical direction to the project component on the selected value chains (local chicken, fodder and forage), alleviate constraints to market access, identify new market channels, and establish linkages between pastoralist, producer group/organizations, agribusinesses and end markets
- Build the capacity of partner organizations and selected groups to strengthen livestock value chains (local chicken, fodder and forage) and market systems development.
- Support the implementation of selected Livestock value chains considering the market constraints and opportunities, as well as private sector engagement.
- Facilitate the mainstreaming of rangeland grazing and livestock value chain production best practices and measures into the county and inter?county plans (CIDPs, sector plans and policies).
- Enhance adoption of participatory approaches in landscape and grazing management and drought resilient feeding strategies by the county government, communities, and other stakeholders.
- Strengthen capacity of County governments to produce all?inclusive and community validated land use plans through resource mapping, inventory development, zoning and spatial planning
- Providing legislative and technical support to the county process of landscape zoning, design, and planning of key infrastructure.
- Build the capacity of the grazing committees /associations / producers for grazing and livestock service plans and facilitating regulation agreements (county and intercounty) for critical rangelands and water catchments.
- Support the review and establishment of livestock multistakeholder platforms (involving pastoralists & agro-pastoralists, conservancies, private sector, and government) to enhance coordination.
- Facilitate planned grazing arrangements within the communities and conservancies for both landscape restoration and increased biodiversity and livestock productivity with stakeholder consolidation of the customary and existing rangelands management plans and approaches.
- Document lessons learnt and develop knowledge products for sharing and learning with stakeholders.
- Oversee the work undertaken by consultants and LCBs and including the required quality deliverables.
Livestock management or production expert with an advanced degree from a recognized University in the fields of Livestock science/management/production and Range management.
- Minimum ten (10) years of experience in livestock production and Rangeland Management, Natural Resource Management interventions or any other related fields.
- Experience working in Arid and semi-Arid areas in assignments related to livestock production and integrated Landscape Management.
- Good understanding of and experience with the participatory approaches in landscape & grazing management and drought resilient feeding strategies in the context of pastoralist societies, herd mobility, resilience building, and sustainable utilization of natural resource.
- Proven expertise and experience in carrying out participatory capacity building to technical teams and community champions within the rangeland ecosystem.
- Experience and knowledge of the Nexus approach and working within the private sector would be an advantage.
- Knowledge and experience on adoption and upscaling of climate resilient practices and innovations.
- Demonstrated experience in strategy development in terms of choice of interventions, clients and partnerships.
- Experience in partnership development, particularly at the county level.
- Previous work experience in the Ewaso Ngíro basin is an added advantage.
- Excellent team working skills.
Contract Duration: 24 months
Desired start date: 20 May 2022
How to apply
Please apply for the job here and submit an application letter and CV that contains three referees in English before 11 May 2022.