- Company: KEMRI Wellcome Trust Research Programme (KWTRP)
- Location: Kenya
- State: Kilifi
- Job type: Full-Time
- Job category: Data Science / Research Jobs in Kenya
The KEMRI Wellcome Trust Research Programme (KWTRP) is based within the KEMRI Centre for Geographic Medical Research – (Coast). Our core activities are funded by the Wellcome Trust. We conduct integrated epidemiological, social, laboratory and clinical research in parallel, with results feeding into local and international health policy. Our research platforms include state-of-the-art laboratories, a demographic surveillance system covering a quarter of a million residents, partnership with Kilifi County Hospital in health care and hospital surveillance, a clinical trials facility, a vibrant community engagement programme and a dedicated training facility. The KWTRP leadership includes the Executive Director Philip Bejon, the KEMRI Centre Director Benjamin Tsofa, the Ag. Nairobi Programme director Mike English and the Chief Operating Officer Catherine Kenyatta. Our Vision to establish long term sustainable capacity for research in human health that improves global health. Our Mission to deliver high quality research relevant to global health and to build local capacity for undertaking research. Aims of the programme â€¢To conduct research to the highest international scientific and ethical standards on the major causes of morbidity and mortality in the region in order to provide the evidence base to improve health. â€¢To train an internationally competitive cadre of Kenyan and African research leaders to ensure the long term development of health research in Africa
JOB PURPOSE :
To provide mathematical and statistical modelling support for ongoing studies in the Epidemiology and Demography Department.
- EDD Modelling Team Lead
- Principal Investigator on specific analyses
KEY RESPONSIBILITIES :
- Developing study analysis plans and providing input into study protocols.
- Developing mathematical and statistical models and implementing these models through coding
- Actively interrogating the data for discrepancies, errors, and missing data, in order to verify the accuracy and validity of the data. Reporting and liaising with trial investigators, data clerks, data managers and programmers on the quality of the data, and resolving any errors according to the study protocol.
- Discussing and interpreting analysis results with colleagues and collaborators in the trial/study.
- Ensuring deadlines and project milestones relating to data and analyses are met, coordinating with other members of staff and external collaborators as necessary
- Supporting the production of summary tables and graphics for interim and final analyses
- Preparing and depositing research data and documentation for curation and archiving
- A Degree in Mathematics, Statistics, Physics or other related field
- Three (3) years’ experience in data analysis, preferably in research setup
- Excellent computer skills and familiarity with one or more statistical packages (including Stata, R or Julia) plus knowledge of any SQL-compliant DBMS (e.g. MS-Access, MS-SQL, MySQL Postgres, Oracle, DB2 etc)
- Proficiency with statistical and data management procedures (data cleaning, manipulation, summarization, tables, listings, graphics, and inferential statistical output), and report generation.
- Experience in a similar position, preferably in the health sciences.