- Company: Medic Mobile
- Location: Kenya
- State: Nairobi
- Job type: Full-Time
- Job category: Human Resource Management Jobs in Kenya
Medic Mobile is a nonprofit organization on a mission to improve health in the hardest-to-reach communities. We build world-class, open-source software that supports health workers delivering equitable care that reaches everyone.
The Talent Operations Specialist has a unique opportunity to help us refine our People Ops processes to better serve our core clients- our teammates – and build/tweak and implement a strategically aligned performance management process that gives teammates and managers alike clarity around what is expected of them, how they are performing and what they need to do to grow. This is a new role on a recently formed People Operations team, designed to globalize our practices. The performance operation specialist will report to Fujii, the People Operations manager and act as a key thought partner to her.
This role is remote but this person is ideally located between UTC -5(NY/Eastern Standard Time) and UTC +3 (East Africa Standard Time); to be available to work as a distributed team to serve our 90+ teammates across 14 time zones and collaborate with our People Operations team who are based in California/US, Nepal, and Kenya.
Talent management & development 50%
- Support in all aspects of talent management
- Improve upon competency model 1.0, review and refine job descriptions, and help embed framework into performance management processes
- Support People ops manager in iterating on the competency model to provide more transparent career pathways
- Improve upon and implement a value aligned and compliant performance management process (e.g., 45/90 day, OKR/goal setting, continuous feedback, midyear and annual performance reviews). Work on organizational change communication, training teammates and managers on the process
- Work closely with People Ops recruiter to evaluate teammate performance at 45 and 90 day to adjust hiring profiles
- Work closely with our functional team leaders to understand the business needs and identify team skill gaps
- Act as a thought partner in the development of clear promotion criteria, including introducing and facilitating a calibration committee to ensure greater objectivity and fairness in our performance & promotion process
- Proactively manage all performance challenges, provide coaching to teammate and managers
- Help implement a culture of continuous feedback including introducing 360s: provide coaching and training to managers and teammates to ensure quality, two-way feedback
Systems & Process 20%
- Work with our teammates to identify the pain points in our administrative processes (contracts, time-off, benefits admin etc). and generate teammate-centered improvements that remove bottlenecks
- Collaborate on standard operating procedures and help oversee the admin work of People Ops team to ensure timely, high-quality execution
- Ensure teammates understand what skills they need to get to next level; contribute to continuous improvements to our competency model
- Plan and facilitate career development sessions, track team internal growth metric, train other People Ops teammate
- Source external coaches to support our managers
Miscellaneous/We’re in it as a Team 10%
- Support our team on the – whatever needs to get done – be it recruitment, onboarding, engagement etc. (We’re small and wear many hats!)
We’re not looking for a HR veteran who is classically trained. You can be a systems thinking manager who has a track record of developing people.
- Coach: You are naturally a coach and have successfully managed and grown others. You can see teammates’ talents and potential, and can motivate them and hold them accountable.
- Relationship Builder: You make building trust with our teammates at all levels of the organization a priority. Teammates feel comfortable and are able to confide in you.
- Mediator: You are proactive about addressing conflicts and are gifted at facilitating tough conversations towards successful resolution.
Results oriented: You do what it takes to get the job done, well and on schedule.
- You foresee challenges, can independently propose solutions and mobilize the resources and people to get unstuck
- You are detail oriented and concerned with quality
- You self-manage
- Agile & Resilient You know that people are both beautiful and messy and that even when this work can feel thankless, you are able to maintain energy, motivation and positivity.
- Creative: You look at processes, identify problems and do not default to how something has been done, but rather think about what the situation necessitates and can develop new ways of doing things that best meets the needs of both teammates and Medic
- Systems thinker: You think in terms of the whole operating structure and financial feasibility and can weigh return on investment and trade-offs
- Effective Communicator: You are a strong listener and can understand both what is said and unsaid. Especially in a remote environment working across multiple time zones, you make communication a priority, responding to all internal messages in <24 hours. You are comfortable public speaking.
- Growth Minded: You are humble, proactively give and receive feedback. You own your professional development.
- Demonstrate humanity & solidarity: Medic has a unique culture of teammate’s genuinely showing up for one another in big and small ways. You genuinely care about others and work better as a team than as an individual unit.
- Intercultural competent: You appreciate difference, you express a desire to learn from other and can find solutions and spaces that are sensitive to diverse needs
- Tech literate: You are adept at using our tools and can leverage technology to improve how People Ops serves our teammates
Nice to haves:
- Experience coaching supervisors or managers or previous experience managing a team
- Prior experience working in tech space
- Multilingual with a specific interest in francophone speakers (or those with networks in West Africa are also a plus)
Purpose & Impact
- Ability to create and see real impact in your work
- Freedom to take initiative and innovate, bonus of an agile, small team
- Work for a globally awarded social enterprise recognized for developing a solution that can create global systems change in the health sector
- Work with a value and mission driven team that is consistently described as warm, incredibly kind and supportive
- Exposure to a diverse team: over 15 different nationalities
- Opportunities for global travel: all team meet-up + functional team meet-up + field visits
Work/Life & Growth
- Generous leave time: vacation, maternity/paternity, bereavement, & sick days
- Professional development funds & opportunities + 5 days off for prof dev
- Flexible, remote schedules