- Company: IMA World Health
- Location: Kenya
- State: Nairobi
- Job type: Full-Time
- Job category: Administrative/Secretarial Jobs in Kenya
IMA World Health is an international, nonprofit health care service organization. The faith-based charity specializes in procuring and distributing medical supplies and services to underdeveloped nations.
Summary of the Position
The Technical Director will lead implementation in all counties targeted by the project and will work closely with county and sub-county Ministry of Health (MOH) counterparts to set priorities. S/he provides leadership and management support to county and sub-county-level project staff and ensures they are working in a coordinated, rational, and integrated way in the pursuit of project deliverables. The Technical Director actively participates in county and national level health systems strengthening policy and strategy discussions, including planning and progress review with other stakeholders, as appropriate. S/he also will provide methodological support and facilitation in the design, content development/adaptation, and delivery of effective learning strategies to positively impact performance. Finally, s/he also will lead the team in synthesizing learning from the project for dissemination of results.
The position will be based in Nairobi, Kenya, and will report to the Chief of Party.
Actual hiring is contingent upon successful activity award and USAID approval.
- Undertake mapping and assessment of current county health systems functions, constraints, and interventions
- Provide advice to county level MOH personnel and facilities on systems constraints and options for achieving service performance improvement and how proposed interventions may impact the systems
- Coordinate implementation of activities at the county level, including ensuring that necessary project planning, development, resource availability, procurement, and management activities function smoothly and efficiently
- Work with county and sub-county MOH personnel to create action plans for implementation of project activities and tools for monitoring performance; to refine policies and accountability tools for health systems; and to advise on human resources allocation, training, and deployment
- Provide ad hoc training and mentoring, including conducting site visits to support county technical teams addressing health systems issues
- Work collaboratively with project team and headquarters staff to assure proper technical reporting, spending, and compliance
- Provide inputs on systems indicators relevant to project performance and work closely with the M&E Director to track project performance in project sites
- Liaise and coordinate with MOH, professional associations, and technical working groups to devise strategies, policies, and approaches for improving health systems strengthening
- Represent the project at external technical events, including conferences, webinars, etc.
- Postgraduate degree in medicine, nursing/midwifery, or public health
- Minimum of 10 years of combined professional experience in the public health sector, or in program management for international development projects, including field experience with large, complex, and integrated public health projects in developing countries
- Proven experience in the successful implementation of health system strengthening projects
- Demonstrated technical experience in one or more of the following areas: health systems strengthening, community health programs, malaria, tuberculosis, HIV/AIDS, health systems strengthening, gender-based violence/child protection, maternal and child health, family planning/reproductive health, and/or clinical and critical care services.
- Working knowledge of and prior experience with USAID awards
- Proven ability to work with government officials, international partners, county MOH personnel and local health staff, and other local stakeholders in the design and implementation of health programs; experience with faith-based organizations preferred
- Ability to travel up to 25% of time annually; flexibility to be able to travel on short notice highly desirable
- Excellent team management, interpersonal, communication, and negotiation skills
- Advanced cross-cultural sensitivity, including experience working and communicating with professional and support staff in a multicultural, multi-linguistic environment; ability to promote an atmosphere of trust and mutual respect
- Excellent oral and written communication skills in English.
Nationals of Kenya are strongly encouraged to apply.