- Company: Practical Action Kenya
- Location: Kenya
- State: Nairobi
- Job type: Full-Time
- Job category: NGO Jobs in Kenya
Practical Action is an international non-governmental organization (NGO) that uses technology to challenge poverty in developing countries. We find out what people are doing and help them to do it better. Through technology we enable poor communities to build on their skills and knowledge to produce sustainable and practical solutions – transforming their lives forever and protecting the world around them.
No of Positions: 8
8 months (November 2020- June 2021)
The main objective of this position is to support the implementation of hygiene promotion activities within EWASSA project. This includes training of Community Health Volunteers, establishing and training WASH Committees and directly carrying out hygiene awareness with the target populations. The WASH- Hygiene Promoter Mentors will be based in Turkana Central, Turkana East, Turkana South and Loima sub-counties. They will report to the Project Officer- Community Mobilisation or any other staff as designated by the Area Coordinator. S/he will be primarily responsible for leading the implementation of hygiene promotion activities at community level in line with their scope of work as directed by the supervisor.
The main responsibilities of the WASH – Hygiene Promoter Mentors will include but not limited to the following:
- Ensure that the EWASSA led Water and Sanitation activities are implemented in a timely and professional manner while considering beneficiary needs.
- Directly implement hygiene promotion activities in communities; this includes household visits and hygiene awareness sessions.
- Coordinate closely with water operators over water quality and beneficiary needs and preferences regarding water collection points.
- Additionally, liaise closely with CHEWs/CHAs and public health technicians to ensure hygiene promotion data is captured appropriately
- Distribute Information, Communication and Education (IEC) materials to Community Health Volunteers and train them on the appropriate use.
- Maintain open and professional relationship with team members, promoting a strong team spirit and providing oversight and guidance to enable work teams to successfully complete their tasks on time and within budget line.
- Organize sessions in the communities to identify the deficiencies in terms of hygiene, sanitation and the use of water.
- Organize/facilitate group awareness sessions on hygiene practices r in the community and other identified locations
- Participate in preparing training modules for the promotion of hygiene with the supervisor and provide training sessions to community volunteers and/or to targeted populations.
- Participate in evaluation/assessment missions and liaise with the authorities, committees and other beneficiaries.
- Ensure that hygiene promotion activities meet agreed objectivities within the timeframe.
- Apply the methodologies defined for the sensitizing sessions on hygiene promotion and participate in elaborating a schedule of awareness raising activities.
- Ensure the program activities foster accountability to beneficiaries
- Ensure gender, social inclusion and protection are entrenched in program delivery
- Write a summary of the weekly reports of progress on hygiene promotion activities and propose possible improvements.
Sub counties of operations:
- Turkana Central (2posts)
- Turkana South (2 posts)
- Turkana East (2 posts)
- Loima (2 posts)
Qualifications, experience and competencies
- Minimum Diploma or Certificate in Public Health, Water, Environmental Health or other related courses.
- At least 1-year experience in health, WASH or community development
- Experience in implementation of hygiene promotion activities.
- Experience in establishment and training of hygiene Promoters, WASH Committees.
- Competent communication skills, effective in representation and liaison.
- Works well in and promotes teamwork, comfortable in a multi-cultural environment, flexible and able to handle pressure.
- Ability to build and sustain relationships with community members so as to create a sense of trust and respect.
- Competent user of MS Application: Word and Excel.
- Good knowledge of the intervention area.
- Knowledge of the local dialect (Turkana) and Swahili is a MUST.
- Proven experience in gender, social inclusion, equality and empowerment principles