Direct hierarchy: REACH Assessment Officer
Contract duration: 3 Months
Starting date: August, 2020
We are currently looking for professionally confident, self-motivated, experienced and committed team player to fill the position of a Field Officer to be based in Kakuma, Kenya.
- Assessment Preparation and Training;
- Undertake travel and conduct preliminary planning missions in assessment sites
- In coordination with the REACH senior assessment officer and operations staff prepare all details related to data collection (field schedule, daily collection quote, logistics and administration) according to specified methodology
- Coordinate and plan assessment team training, and facilitate sessions of the assessment training.
- Data Collection in the Field
- Follow all guidance from REACH senior assessment staff while in the field; ask questions when necessary
- Collect data independently in line with specified tools and methodology.
- Accompany and actively manage data collectors in the field and ensure accurate data collection as specified in the methodology.
- Communicate any delay in data collection to relevant senior staff
- Participate in debriefings with senior staff as needed.
- Assure the quality of the data collected based on REACH quality standards. Spot-check for accuracy during data collection.
- Ensure care of all REACH inventory including daily check of assessment mobile phones
- Data Validation and Data Cleaning
- Download all data from the mobile phones at the end of each data collection day
- Spot-check for accuracy at the end of each day; question team leaders about any inaccuracies observed and review in daily team debriefs.
- Perform data cleaning at the end of each assessment day
- Safety and Security
- Follow ACTED safety and security protocols and norms inside the country.
- Follow ACTED code of conduct in country.
- Communicate any security incidents immediately to the relevant senior staff.
- Ensure that data collected is removed from paper or smartphone platforms as soon as the data has been transferred to the REACH senior staff
- Ensure the privacy and security of the information collected in the field
- Protection mainstreaming
- Promoting of and adhering to Prevention of Sexual Exploitation and Abuse policy and guidelines (for site residents, ACTED staff, partner agencies, casual labours etc).
- Minimum of 2 years of experience in humanitarian or development organizations, preferably in Kakuma.
- Willingness and ability to work in a dynamic and fast-paced field environment for extended periods of the time required
- Bachelor’s degree in relevant discipline (social science, development) required
- Strong skills with the Microsoft Office Suite
- Experience using ODK for quantitative data collection
- Candidates must be from Kakuma host community
- Experience managing casual labourers
- Experience conducting focus group discussions
- Experience collecting information using hand-held GPS devices
- Positive attitude and a willingness to learn
- Good communication skills
- Good time management skills
- Ability to operate in a cross-cultural environment requiring flexibility
- Prior experience working in refugee settlements an asset.
- Written and spoken fluency in English and Swahili required. Juba Arabic is also preferred.
- Ability to work independently
ACTED is committed to protecting beneficiaries within our programmes from exploitation and abuse and any kind of misconduct. ACTED has specific policies, including PSEA and Child Protection, which outlines the expected behavior and the responsibility of all staff, beneficiaries, consultants and other stakeholders and has zero tolerance towards misconducts. Any candidate offered a job with ACTED will be expected to sign ACTED’s organizational Policies and Code of Conduct as an annex to their contract of employment and agree to conduct themselves in accordance with the provisions of these documents.