- Company: Kenya Red Cross Society
- Location: Kenya
- State: Nairobi
- Job type: Full-Time
- Job category: Data Science / Research Jobs in Kenya
Kenya Red Cross is one of the many International Red Cross and Red Crescent Movement societies around the world. The Kenya organisation was established in 1965, The Kenya Red Cross supports and runs a number of projects whilst raising awareness to the Kenyan public about the current issues or problems which may affect them.
Reporting to : Principal
The Head of Research & Innovations – will stimulate and institute the research and enterprise culture. Increasing research and innovation income and the number of high-quality outputs is central to the institution.The role holder is responsible for linking the expertise of academic colleagues with suitable funding opportunities and will provide support to maximize grant applications. The Department has significant links with business and/or public sector bodies and the role holder is expected to support the development of meaningful partnerships to generate research income and collaborations. Part of a team that is required to meet KPIs.Champion the provision of high-quality teaching, research and scholarly activities within the Institute ensuring a stimulating, collegial and well-managed environment. The post holder will contribute to the delivery of the College’s strategy including promoting excellence in the BIHC’s contribution to the Institution’s Research & Knowledge Exchange, Learning & Teaching and Internationalization strategies.
The following are the main accountabilities for the job. Other duties, commensurate with the grading of the job, may also be assigned from time to time.
- Develop strong, supportive relationships with academic colleagues within the Division to enable the matching of funding opportunities and maximize the impact of the promotion of potential funding opportunities for research and business collaboration in line with the BIHC’s ambitions and KPIs
- Provide pre- and post-award support with the aim of improving the success rate of applications and maximizing outputs. This will include the provision of accurate project costings which adhere to BIHC guidelines, advice and guidance to academic colleagues with respect to draft applications and support for key post-award processes such as liaison with funders and appointment of project funded staff.
- Engage directly with research funders and businesses (commercial and public sector) in a proactive way, in order to grow the Department and Institution’s external profile and engagement opportunities for the Department and to increase income generation or engagement opportunities.
- Undertake a range of duties to maintain and develop the Department’s public profile, thereby ensuring that its reputation grows and that stakeholders’ and potential stakeholders’ perception of the Department as a research and enterprise centre of excellence is enhanced
- Develop an in-depth knowledge of and keep abreast of updates within the Department’s areas of expertise and options for funding and collaboration, in order to provide correct and current information to partners and increase engagement.
- Build and maintain key relationships across the Institution and externally, including with Research & Innovation Services and collaborative partners at other centers, to ensure the efficient operation of research activities.
- Identify, promote and contribute resources to developing the Institutes research strengths and broader research portfolio. This will include identifying and supporting opportunities for research and programme developments internally, externally and internationally, both within existing funding streams, and where possible, through multi-disciplinary collaboration
- Ensure that the Institute and its members comply with University policies on research quality and conduct and the requirements of all relevant regulatory bodies.9. Organize for conferences and guide the faculty in writing research papers for conferences 10 Any other duties that may be assigned by management from time to time.
Key Skills and Competences
- An understanding and empathy with the research environment of an institution and the significance of research for the institution, the department, students and the community
- Experience in supporting research grant administration and/or impact in a higher
- Education institution or research body; including experience in advising on or writing
- research bids and supporting/working with academics
- A demonstrable understanding of the funding system for research both locally & globally.
- Good understanding of research impact and other research quality measures
- Excellent organizational and time management skills, including the ability to prioritize Workloads, to work accurately under pressure and to meet deadlines.
- Proven ability to work independently and exercise initiatives
- Proven analytical and problem solving capability
- An ability to read and assimilate complex funder terms and conditions
- Excellent IT skills including use of databases, with excellent proficiency in use of MS Office (particularly Excel).
- Willingness to learn and apply new systems and processes
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills able to communicate effectively with staff at all levels and with external contacts, and with the ability to write reports and to actively support on the writing of research bids/grants
- Strong interpersonal skills including motivational negotiating, influencing and relationship building, professional and customer focused with the ability to deal professionally with people from a diverse range of backgrounds.
- Ability to work independently with minimal supervision as well as co-operatively as part of a team with experience of supervising others
- Firm commitment to achieving the institution’s vision and values, with a passion for a transformative student experience and multidisciplinary, impactful research
- Commitment to deliver and promote equality, diversity and inclusivity in the day to day work of the role.
- Ability to identify, create and articulate a coherent academic vision for the Research Institute.
- Ability to combine and integrate the skills and expertise of highly motivated staff into multi-disciplinary teams, developing and building upon existing collaborations as well as creating/facilitating new opportunities.
Education and Experience :
- A PhD holder in Hospitality & Tourism Management or related areas/equivalent with at least 4 years’ experience at an institution of higher learning. 2 of which must be at a senior leadership role in academia, preferably hospitality.
- Demonstrate continuing professional development
- Sound knowledge and understanding of best practice locally and internationally in regards to research, teaching, learning, assessment and quality improvement
- Ability to develop and set strategic direction
- A deep understanding of, commitment to and involvement in hospitality Industry
- Thorough understanding and experience of quality improvement processes in learning institutions
- Extensive knowledge in ICT and experience of education, higher Education and the issues and challenges facing the sector.
- Ability to motivate academic staff to create, develop and deliver innovative postgraduate taught degree programmes, working closely with Heads of the institution.
- Experienced in encouraging and supporting entrepreneurial activity