Climate Research Officer Job, Latest NGO Jobs In Kenya,
The Society is seeking a qualified candidate to fill the following position:
Position Title: Climate Research Officer (2 posts)
Reporting to: Head of Research & Learning
Job Location: Nairobi
This role will be responsible for developing weather and climate information services for decision making and action towards strengthening disaster risk management in Kenya Red Cross Society and the communities served by the Society.
- Develop and compile tools, methods and capacity needed to enable interpretation and use of weather and climate information.
- Provide technical support on interpretation and use of weather and climate information for decision making and early action, within Kenya Red Cross
- Develop research, methodologies and evidence to support action, policy and funding for managing anticipatory shocks
- Support with resource planning and management including project budget controlling and monitoring, evaluation and learning and reporting
- Management of project assistants to ensure effective project implementation, supporting growth and development and performance setting and evaluation
- Coordinate the disaster management, climate science, data preparedness and policy teams to ensure sound project strategies are in place
- Documenting lessons learnt, good practice and case studies to shape programme strategies approaches, and contribute to broader sector learning.
- Establishing new partnerships and strengthening existing ones to enhance collaboration in application for funds/grants
- Proposal writing
- Scoping for funding opportunities
- Act as a KRCS focal point for stakeholders, donors and collaborating institutions
- Create linkages and opportunities for knowledge exchange with key stakeholders
- Representing KRCS in external meetings/workshops/conferences
- BSc in Climate Science/Meteorology. MSc degree will be an added advantage
- Relevant practical experience in developing and compiling tools, methods and interpreting use of weather and climate information in humanitarian programming
- Experience in interpreting and using of weather and climate information for decision making and early action (anticipatory approach to disaster risk reduction)
- Experience in research and evidence generation to support action, policy and funding for managing anticipatory shocks
- Relevant practical experience in working on research and research project including Disaster Risk Reduction projects and wider climate change and sustainability project
- Interest in inter-disciplinary work and profound interest in understanding use of climate science for risk reduction and management
- Experience in resource planning and management including project budget management, monitoring, evaluation and reporting
- Experience in organizing and facilitating workshops
- Excellent English writing skills with ability to author reports, working and academic papers
- Experience in documenting lessons learnt, good practice and case studies to shape programme strategies, approaches and contribute to broader sector learning
- Ability to work independently and under the supervision of Project Manager
How to Apply
Interested candidates who meet the above qualifications should apply strictly through https://www.redcross.or.ke/Careers so as to reach us not later than 22 nd June 2021
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.