- Company: RTI International
- Location: Kenya
- State: Nairobi
- Job type: Full-Time
- Job category: Data Science / Research Jobs in Kenya
RTI International is a nonprofit organization headquartered in the Research Triangle Park in North Carolina that provides research and technical services.
The Research and Development (R&D) Lead for the Western Kenya Sanitation Project. The R&D Lead will set and oversee strategy and direction of the research objectives of the project, oversee R&D, Strategic Activities Fund (SAF) investment, monitoring and evaluation (M&E), strategic communication and evidence generation. The R&D Lead will work with the activity market-based sanitation team to design, implement and monitor pilots that test an array of approaches for results and to shape a program that learns from its interventions and quickly focuses on efforts that are producing results, dropping those that are not and adapting and scaling interventions where appropriate. The R&D Lead will report to the COP. This position will have two direct reports: Senior MEL Specialist and Data Analyst.
Responsibilities of the R&D Lead include, but are not limited to:
- Set and oversee overall strategy and direction of the research and development objectives of the project in collaboration with the COP and DCOP.
- Oversee project R&D, SAF investment, performance management, monitoring and evaluation (M&E), strategic communications, and evidence generation.
- Lead the R&D team to design and monitor pilots , contributing to the design of high-quality and innovative research concepts, proposing ideas for SAF investment alongside the MBS team, and helping formulate challenge drives to further identify additional strong pilot ideas.
- Develop indicators and trigger points for pilots to go to scale
- Lead project work in collaboration, learning and adaptation (CLA), including documenting and sharing learning through regular technical and stakeholder meetings and pause-and-reflect sessions.
- Participate as a part of the senior management team, providing overall leadership to technical and administrative staff.
- Address issues and mitigates risks related to pilot implementation in a timely manner and appropriately adjust pilot strategies, as required.
- Support the production of high-quality, relevant project performance M&E indicators.
- Track and report quarterly on programmatic achievements as required for project deliverable reporting. Produces technical and/or operational reports and updates for deliverable reporting and project success stories.
- Initiate, develop and maintain a range of working relationships, including with civil society, product innovators and designer, county governments, private sector firms, academic and think tank organizations, and others.
- Ensure that gender, youth, and other social inclusion categories are integrated across the R&D portfolio of work.
- At least a Bachelor’s degree with 12 years of experience or a Master’s degree and 10 years of experience.
- Eight (8) years of experience implementing large and complex projects relating to research, monitoring and evaluation and design or implementation of product or service improvement.
- Experience in designing CLA framework and iterations in R&D activities.
- Strong skills in strategic planning, management, supervision, research and M&E.
- Demonstrated experience managing technically, operationally and geographically diverse teams on internationally funded programs, USAID experience preferred.
- Experience designing and monitoring pilot interventions that test market feasibility and commercial viability.
- Expertise evaluating interventions for sustainability and scalability.
- Excellent analytic skills with ability to synthesize data and results for presentation to a variety of stakeholders.
- Experience leading or collaborating on peer-reviewed publications.
- Proven ability to work under pressure, and with multiple concurrent demands.
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills.
- Ability to travel and work in any of the three provinces and difficult terrain/conditions at times.
- Proficiency in English is required.
- Work experience in Kenya required.