About Bidhaa Sasa
Bidhaa Sasa is a women-focused start-up that uniquely combines financing and last-mile distribution of modern household goods in a one-stop shop for the rural areas. We make technology goods, such as solar systems and efficient jikos, both accessible and affordable by offering consumer financing to the under-served and un-banked. We deliver life improving products to our clients’ doorsteps while making all products payable in affordable installments.
We sell our products through groups that are recruited and managed by women leaders in the rural heartlands of Bungoma, Kakamega, Nandi, Vihiga and Siaya Counties. Since our humble beginnings in 2015, we have reached over 18,000 clients and are expanding our reach further with new locations.
About the role
The Area Manager will be based in South Rift region (the possible exact location includes Bomet, Litein, Sotik or Kericho). Responsibilities include recruiting, training and managing a team of around 8 staff, whose main job is to build relationships with clients, which is a mix of a sales and a loan officer role. The hire will also be responsible for achieving set targets for the area that include both sales and client repayment behavior.
In addition, this is an opportunity to be part of a growing start-up with big ambitions and a dedicated team but it also means that it’s a rapidly changing environment, requiring you to be responsive and adaptable.
Leadership & People Management
- Monitor and support a team of group coordinators ensuring they reach their targets in their assigned territories and administrative duties are completed;
- Continually evaluate the team, conduct performance reviews and develop internal trainings to strengthen knowledge and skills;
- Recruit and train group coordinators under the current curriculum in the area of your operation as and when required.
Client Relationship Management
- Analyse company customer relations and how to improve service for current and new customers, as for us our customers are at the heart of our business;
- Travel frequently to the field to monitor activities and meet with customers.
Operations and Administration
- Evaluate existing company processes and procedures and recommend improvements;
- Run the area office, including all administrative duties such as stock reconciliations, record keeping and reporting, overseeing staff expenses etc.
- You’re passionate about rural development and making a difference for the less well-off in this country and excited about working in a multi-cultural environment; You value diversity and are respectful to others;
- You are a team player who leads by example and excels at listening and building trust and long-lasting relationships with clients and within teams;
- You value ownership and freedom in exchange for accountability and responsibility.
- You are self-driven, highly organised and able to operate independently towards set targets;
- Minimum two years’ experience as loan officer or field officer working directly with clients in rural areas;
- At least one-year experience of managing a team of employees (not just casual workers / short-term contracts);
- Degree in Business Studies, Rural Development or equivalent; Sales experience an advantage but not a must;
- Knowledge of local dialects a strong advantage.
Our culture – We are the right organization for you if:
- You believe in the potential of rural communities to improve their family’s lives and are eager to ensure everyone has an equal part in Kenya’s development. We put the client at the centre of all our decisions and actions.
- You enjoy the thrill of start-up life, where we fail and learn from it, where things change fast, and every day brings new challenges. We are a small team working tirelessly to achieve something that has not been done before!
- You are excited about working in a multi-cultural environment, where we have open communication channels, are transparent about challenges and mistakes, learn from each other and respect and leverage our diversity to make the business work.
- You want your ideas to be heard and participate in business strategy: Our team is collaborative and supportive. We listen to insights from the field, because we know that otherwise we can’t succeed.
Remuneration & Application Process
- Starting at Ksh. 30,000 gross per month as base salary plus a monthly bonus of around half the base salary that is linked to sales and loan portfolio performance of your team.
- Deadline for application is 26th February 2019. Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted. Only applications submitted online on this portal will be reviewed. Bidhaa Sasa never asks candidates to pay any application fees.