Jumia is Africa’s leading internet company, with over 4,000 employees in 14 African countries. We have built winning businesses such as Jumia, Jumia Food, Jumia Travel, Jumia Pay and Jumia Services. It is led by talented leaders with a mix of local and international experience and is backed by MTN, Millicom, Rocket Internet, Axa, Orange, Goldman Sachs & CDC.
Founded in 2012, Jumia’s mission is to change people’s lives through the internet. We do this by building marketplaces that save customers money and time and create opportunities for vendors, and our other partners. At Jumia Ecommerce, we are building the largest & most loved shopping destination for Africans.
Africa is home to the fastest growing economies in the world, offering huge opportunities in a vibrant and booming environment. This growth has enabled innovative businesses to flourish and this is where Jumia plays its role.
We are looking for talented people with a passion for building businesses and for Africa, to join our team and embark on this exciting journey.
The Role In Brief
The Jumia Kenya COO (Ecommerce) will be responsible for leading the improvement of the Jumia Ecommerce Customer Experience, Vendor Experience & Operational Profitability in her or his country. Ensuring sharp execution of the centrally defined improvements/routines, participating to their refinement through the collection of detailed customer/vendor feedbacks, and leading country related specific projects to reach those objectives.
Customer Experience being defined by all elements impacting the satisfaction of a customer navigating or buying on Jumia: online experience, delivery experience, product experience, customer service experience, aftersales (returns / warranties) experience.
Vendor Experience being defined by all elements impacting the satisfaction of a vendor selling on Jumia: online experience, operational experience, payment/finance experience.
It is a leadership role that sits on the Kenya Ecommerce Executive Committee, with a large team
The main challenges are described as below:
Management & recruitment
Managing the country’s teams / efforts in terms of:
- Customer experience
- Vendor experience
- Customer Service
- IT local resources
Leading recruitment when necessary.
- Leadership & influencing
Interacting with other local & central teams (logistics & warehousing, IT, commercial, vendor management, marketing) to explain projects & solicit support, as many of the Ops projects are transversal.
- Projects/routines definition & execution
- Understanding the central improvement projects and ensuring their sharp and timely local execution
- Ensuring harsh execution of the centrally defined routines
- Developing Customer & Vendor Experience awareness across the country’s different services, through training & communication, to make Customer & Vendor Experience central in all decisions
- Collecting detailed feedbacks from customers & vendors
- Based on customer & vendors feedbacks:
- Feeding central team with their synthesis and the related necessary improvements
- Leading local necessary improvements
Strong experience (>6 years) in senior operations management, deep culture & knowledge of Customer & Vendor Experience best practices in ecommerce, ideally specifically in developing countries.
- 8 years total experience
- Strong inter-personal skills: convince the people and your team that you are making the right decisions
- Ability to manage efficiently multiple teams
- Hands on & results oriented – excited by solving problems yourself
- Well organized
- Strong analytically (good with numbers & analysis – we have a lot of them!)
- Excellent communication skills in English
- A unique experience in an entrepreneurial, yet structured environment
- A unique opportunity to help build & shape a growing African ecommerce giant
- The opportunity to become part of a highly professional and dynamic team
- Unparalleled personal and professional growth (our longer-term objective is to train the next generation of leaders for our future internet ventures)