- Company: Kyosk Digital Services
- Location: Kenya
- State: Nairobi
- Job type: Full-Time
- Job category: - Engineering Jobs in KenyaIT/Telecom Jobs in Kenya
A kiosk is an informal convenience store selling everyday household items. Known locally by their vernacular names e.g. Duka in Kenya, Spaza in South Africa, Kantemba in Zambia. kiosk-type retail outlets are the cornerstone of African retail, accounting for over 60% of all retail trade flows. Despite their importance, kiosk-type retail outlets face significant challenges, including high cost of stock and unreliable delivery. Our digital ordering and delivery platform – Kyosk, ensures that these retail outlets get access to stock at competitive prices and have them delivered directly to them. FMCGs find the traditional distribution chain to be inadequate as well, making it expensive for them to serve kiosk-type retail outlets, leading to high incidences of product stock-outs and lost sales opportunities. By providing FMCGs with good data visibility, we solve this major problem of theirs.
The role holder will be responsible for providing technical leadership to the team (Squad) including providing strategic direction; communication of key priorities; performance management, people development and management.
- Strategic Execution: Plan and execute long term strategies that benefit the team and the product (s). Own and continuously refine the processes and communication of strategies your team uses to build and support products within the business. Work with a Product Manager and Tech Lead to ensure that the roadmap is realistic and clearly understood by the team.
- Technical Delivery: Define the organizational structure, responsibilities, and appraisal mechanism of the engineering delivery team and assume responsibility for the progress, costs, and quality of engineering construction. Collaboratively work the Line Manager to turn the roadmap into staffing needs and a hiring strategy.
- Leadership: Improve processes to make your team more effective Develop knowledge and domain expertise. Take ownership of what you and the team build and coordinate your efforts across the teams to ensure proper completion. Read to roll up your sleeves and code alongside your team when needed.
- Technical Monitoring: Build a deep understanding of how our products work and are built. Though you will not be expected to regularly code, you will need to fully grasp code and architecture concerns. Identify and track metrics that can be used to ensure objectives are met and recommend process improvements. Understand engineering metrics and seek to improve them.
- Process improvement: Regularly monitor, determine and recommend methods to streamline and improve development processes and procedures. Spearhead various research and development initiatives to identify opportunities for new projects and improved processes.
- People Management: Ensure effective recruiting, training and development programs are applied to promote productivity, retention, motivation and morale. Actively seek to build a great team; Manage the career path and goals of your team members, conducting regular 1-on-1s and giving feedback. Set and review professional development goals for your engineers; Conduct interviews, complete job reviews, and act as mentors for Engineers, Product & Processes.
- Performance Management: Provide performance review and professional development for your team. Identify timeframe and readiness for promotion of direct reports; solicit cross functional feedback in support of promotions and employee rewards. Coach and mentor engineers, showing them the next steps in their careers. Craft a winning culture built on collaboration and shared accomplishments- have fun along the way.
- Stakeholder Management: Prepare and deliver various engineering-related presentations, both internally and externally. Act as the point of contact with the business and technical leadership communicating their priorities to the team and vice versa.
Minimum Requirements & Key Skills
- 7+ years of software development experience with the full software development life-cycle: design, coding, testing, mocking, deployment and maintenance of software to real production environments;
- Previous experience as a manager with excellent people management skills and the ability to hire and grow a talented team of engineers;
- Experience organizing, leading, and growing an engineering organization of 3+ developers preferred;
- You have good command of your favorite modern programming language: Python, Java, C++, etc;
- We work in Agile environment, so any Agile experience or CI/CD concepts is helpful;
- Agile development methodology expertise and proficiency with software management tools such as Jira;
- You are comfortable working in a Unix environment;
- You have the ability to align people behind a common goal. You can explain and materialize objectives of the team;
- Significant experience with micro services, Kubernetes/Docker, and GCP/AWS Services strongly preferred;
- Working knowledge of large-scale service-oriented infrastructure and the design of scalable, highly available systems in the real world;
- Strong overall knowledge of development and quality assurance methodologies;
- Proficiency in debugging code bases, designing APIs, and writing unit tests and testable code;
- Ability to successfully collaborate with multiple technical functions in the areas of infrastructure, devops, architects and other software engineers;
- Outstanding organizational, communication, interpersonal and relationship building skills are mandatory;
- You understand devops as culture not as a role.
- Technical Competence;
- Strategic Execution;
- Service Orientation’
- People Management;
- Stakeholder Management;
- Tech Savvy.